Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JPM WSU/CSU JPM: Non-standard Entry

MedRad

Hi guys! Does anyone know what a safe GPA and UCAT score is for a medicine interview invite at WSU, CSU, JMP, and JCU? (I'm new to UCAT and these universities). Thank you! :)

A1

Rookie Doc
Hi guys! Does anyone know what a safe GPA and UCAT score is for a medicine interview invite at WSU, CSU, JMP, and JCU? (I'm new to UCAT and these universities). Thank you! :)
Can only tell what would be a competitive score. No such thing as safe because some 7.0 GPA and some 98th%ile UCAT have failed to get an invite.

JCU : 6.5 with a good written application, 6.2 is possible but needs an excellent application.
JMP : 4.7+ hurdle, around 94-95th UCAT.
WSU/CSU : 6.2+ hurdle (if not yet completed a degree, 5.5+ if completed), UCAT on average 95th %ile but highly dependent on the section scores since they are weighted differently. A few 98th have missed out if the high %ile comes from less weighted sections and vice versa.

MedRad

I did not complete chemistry in HS, are there non-standard medical schools that do not have chemistry as a prerequisite for medicine?

Percy Abner

Hey all. Hoping a guru might be able to clarify something I've read a couple times throughout this thread re previous university studies.... I have a completed undergrad from 2013 that doesn't meet the GPA hurdle. I have since returned to uni and will have completed 1 year FTE this year and am looking at 6+GPA so far. Given I have a completed university qualification, is that what will be assessed??? Or will they use my most recent studies? Or will they use my best result (which is also my most recent)?
Thanks for the help!!

Last edited:

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hey all. Hoping a guru might be able to clarify something I've read a couple times throughout this thread re previous university studies.... I have a completed undergrad from 2013 that doesn't meet the GPA hurdle. I have since returned to uni and will have completed 1 year FTE this year and am looking at 6+GPA so far. Given I have a completed university qualification, is that what will be assessed??? Or will they use my most recent studies? Or will they use my best result (which is also my most recent)?
Thanks for the help!!
They will use your best GPA I believe. LBoG was in your position a few years ago now and managed to snag an offer on the basis of the one year Nursing GPA she’d achieved (rather than her old GPA that didn’t meet the hurdle). It’s probably worth just double checking with JPM as this was in the days prior to the joint program.

A1

Rookie Doc
Hey all. Hoping a guru might be able to clarify something I've read a couple times throughout this read re previous university studies.... I have a completed undergrad from 2013 that doesn't meet the GPA hurdle. I have since returned to uni and will have completed 1 year FTE this year and am looking at 6+GPA so far. Given I have a completed university qualification, is that what will be assessed??? Or will they use my most recent studies? Or will they use my best result (which is also my most recent)?
Thanks for the help!!
At one stage we heard WSU used your most recent study program. Then I read somewhere JPM now uses either that meets its hurdle i.e. not necessarily the highest GPA. Example completed degree 5.7 (meets hurdle) vs current 1 FTE 6.0 (fails hurdle) JPM would use the older one.

But in your case they will definitely use the current one since the older one is no good.

Percy Abner

At one stage we heard WSU used your most recent study program. Then I read somewhere JPM now uses either that meets its hurdle i.e. not necessarily the highest GPA. Example completed degree 5.7 (meets hurdle) vs current 1 FTE 6.0 (fails hurdle) JPM would use the older one.

But in your case they will definitely use the current one since the older one is no good.
They will use your best GPA I believe. LBoG was in your position a few years ago now and managed to snag an offer on the basis of the one year Nursing GPA she’d achieved (rather than her old GPA that didn’t meet the hurdle). It’s probably worth just double checking with JPM as this was in the days prior to the joint program.

Appreciate the speedy response. Hope you're right A1
I'll reach out to the university for advice on my situation and update once I have a response.

Thanks again.

Hi everyone,

So I am a first-year student studying bio-med and I have recently sat the UCAT and got a score of 3280. My GPA based on the first semester of uni was a 5.2 and my ATAR last year was 99.15. I am a GWS applicant too.
I was just wondering if this means I still have a shot at WSU, as I am not sure if they look at ATAR or GPA, or whether they will only use my GPA now that I have started a degree.

Thank you for your help! :)

Some guy

Hi everyone,

So I am a first-year student studying bio-med and I have recently sat the UCAT and got a score of 3280. My GPA based on the first semester of uni was a 5.2 and my ATAR last year was 99.15. I am a GWS applicant too.
I was just wondering if this means I still have a shot at WSU, as I am not sure if they look at ATAR or GPA, or whether they will only use my GPA now that I have started a degree.

Thank you for your help! :)
Unless you have completed a degree, WSU will take either ATAR or GPA, whatever is higher. In your case the ATAR is over the nominal threshold so you've met the academic hurdle.

3280 is also a great UCAT score (congrats!). Provided your VR was okay within that total you should be in a good position for an interview.

Good luck with it, hope it works out well.

BipBop11

Hi,
I was wondering whether, as a second-year uni student, WSU will use my ATAR or GPA? I know the previous post (for a first-year student) states that "unless you have completed a degree, WSU will take either ATAR or GPA, whatever is higher", but I wanted to know whether that also applies for second-year students.
If so, is there anywhere (in writing) that actually states that is the case, because I can't find any info on the WSU website about it.

Thanks

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi,
I was wondering whether, as a second-year uni student, WSU will use my ATAR or GPA? I know the previous post (for a first-year student) states that "unless you have completed a degree, WSU will take either ATAR or GPA, whatever is higher", but I wanted to know whether that also applies for second-year students.
If so, is there anywhere (in writing) that actually states that is the case, because I can't find any info on the WSU website about it.

Thanks
“unless you have completed a degree, WSU will take either ATAR or GPA, whatever is higher"

Do you have a completed degree?