Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

WSU Roll Call 2019-2023

lily19873

I have a slight (I hope) problem. One of my middle names is wrong, and I can't change it manually and had to notify admissions and Student Central to get it changed. I can't complete the CSP + HECS forms until it's corrected, because I'll be "legally responsible" for giving wrong info. BethMark25 / keogh13, do you know if it's alright to temporarily use the misspelt name to complete CSP/HECS then change it later?
Thanks!!

keogh13

WSU MBBS II
Hey!! I'm just a bit stuck on the unit selection?

Unit selection for med should just be one unit (possibly 2) which for you guys I believe is Clinical Sciences. If you can see 1H and 2H forms of it that just refers to the semesters so you can enrol in both or just 1H is fine and you can do 2H later on. You will also not be able to select preferred classes like in other degrees as you have a randomly allocated timetable that will appear as a master doc pdf on vUWS closer to classes starting.

keogh13

WSU MBBS II
Sorry everyone that we can't be much help with enrolment/technical issues - since you're the first year of MD we can only speak from our experience which was for MBBS. If you look at the email Western sent you with your offer on it there should be some contact details (in my email it has a phone number, a live chat and an email for student central) that will provide you with probably much better info than we can! Alternatively there is the School of Medicine ( Contact Us | Western Sydney University ) but they are only going to able to help with stuff specifically med related, or Student Central may refer you to them to answer your queries.

Fortunately, we are much much more knowledgeable on subject such as life in Campbelltown/ life as a med/uni student/ moving away from home/ course info/ how to not cry everyday and other general advice.

Whynot101

WSU MD I
I have a slight (I hope) problem. One of my middle names is wrong, and I can't change it manually and had to notify admissions and Student Central to get it changed. I can't complete the CSP + HECS forms until it's corrected, because I'll be "legally responsible" for giving wrong info. BethMark25 / keogh13, do you know if it's alright to temporarily use the misspelt name to complete CSP/HECS then change it later?
Thanks!!
Same here! They've put my first name twice I did do my eCAF form anyway so hopefully it's alright

yummo11

WSU MD I
Just a q for the second years, there doesn't seem to be any kind of orientation thing in the first week? Is there some info I'm missing or do we just get thrown in the deep end?

BethMark25

WSU MBBS II
Just a q for the second years, there doesn't seem to be any kind of orientation thing in the first week? Is there some info I'm missing or do we just get thrown in the deep end?
I believe your orientation week starts the 18th of February, I imagine details will be released soon.
Panda111 did you find the unit you need? It should be Clinical Sciences as listed here: Course - 401276.1

I'm afraid the HECS issue is a little above our pay-grade, but I hope you all get it sorted soon!
ETA: HECS only has to be sorted before the census date, so you have quite some time! If I were you I'd leave the form for now until you can speak to someone about how to fill it in.

keogh13

WSU MBBS II
Yep 18th of Feb! Because it's an orientation week it won't be the start date that's listed on UAC. It's compulsory too so make sure if you're moving you get here in time to attend. Note if you're going to receive a student Centrelink payment the payments won't start until the official UAC date though :(

Attachments

• 2019 MD-MBBS Transitional Timeline(2).pdf
    370.7 KB · Views: 112

Panda111

WSU MD I
I believe your orientation week starts the 18th of February, I imagine details will be released soon.
Panda111 did you find the unit you need? It should be Clinical Sciences as listed here: Course - 401276.1

I'm afraid the HECS issue is a little above our pay-grade, but I hope you all get it sorted soon!
ETA: HECS only has to be sorted before the census date, so you have quite some time! If I were you I'd leave the form for now until you can speak to someone about how to fill it in.
Yep all good! Thanks for checking in :))

lily19873

I live 45/50 mins away from WSU and my parents are asking if accommodation closer to the uni would be more practical in case there are days students have to stay behind at uni. I reallly don't think it's necessary for my sake, I live quite close to uni (especially compared to maia and whynot101 moving interstate) but can I get a second opinion on that?

neverknow

I live 45/50 mins away from WSU and my parents are asking if accommodation closer to the uni would be more practical in case there are days students have to stay behind at uni. I reallly don't think it's necessary for my sake, I live quite close to uni (especially compared to maia and whynot101 moving interstate) but can I get a second opinion on that?
Hi, WSU Medicine is located mostly in the "heart" of Campbelltown. The area is very easily accessible through major roads such as Camden Valley Way, Campbelltown Road, Hume Highway, etc. I live around 25 Minutes from the area (by car) and frequently go there since I have family friends and stuff living close by. The rent situation in that area is not all too cheap, especially if you want to get something slightly modern. The area is very much developing into a CBD (slow development). Campbelltown is also a very boring place to hang out (to be blunt), there is the Macarthur Square Shopping Centre and a few cinemas and stuff here and there. The only night life you can find in that area is around the kebab shops. I cannot comment at all on the situation of the classes but you need to note that you will have placements in areas such as Mt Druitt, Blacktown, Narellan or Liverpool. I reckon you take a normal route to the uni via your preferred method of transportation, then decide.

Wondering if any of the second years had any info about getting our preferred clinical school for year 1
E.g I would much prefer to be at the Macarthur clinical school- is this something I can choose or are we randomly placed?
If choosing is a possibility what’s the likelihood of getting that preference?

BethMark25

WSU MBBS II
Wondering if any of the second years had any info about getting our preferred clinical school for year 1
E.g I would much prefer to be at the Macarthur clinical school- is this something I can choose or are we randomly placed?
If choosing is a possibility what’s the likelihood of getting that preference?

You do get to pick your clinical school and most of the time you’ll get the one you choose, but it’s not guaranteed and depends on availability.

Keep an eye on your emails, I believe last year it was in an email and they provided a link to choose our preferences. Also read emails carefully - a lot of people apparently missed it and didn’t put their preference in.

ETA:

This is really a matter of preference. For the first semester last year I travelled from Penrith (approx 50 minutes by car) and it was fine. That being said I have young kids so I don't tend to participate in any of the social aspects of the cohort. But as far as classes go compulsory ones don't tend to run past 5pm (at least in my experience).
For the first two years you'll only have to go to Campbelltown campus (3 days a week) and then either Blacktown or Campbelltown hospitals (1 day per week). Travelling to other hospitals happens in later years.

Last edited:

keogh13

WSU MBBS II

My advice would be to stay at home in years 1 and 2 because the contact hours are less and then if you live far away from either clinical school, move closer to them in year 3-5 when you are there 5 days a week. It also depends on where you live because if you say live in Baulkham Hills it's a straight run down the toll roads with minimal traffic, but if you're coming from say the Inner West/Eastern Suburbs the traffic would be awful and vary each day. Again, If you live North Sydney or Hills area too it's a quicker commute to Blacktown hospital which means you're only at Campbelltown 3 days a week.

In my opinion though the rent in a sharehouse is really cheap (in Macarthur Heights you can get a 5 bedroom brand new home from $550 a week) so if moving out is something you want to do it's pretty affordable. It would be really good to stay at home and save every $ you can while you're able though.

Connor

If distance is not a criteria, is one clinical school better than the other ? Are there any differences between attending at Macarthur vs Blacktown ? Thanks.