Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

WSU Section 3 Weighting

John Myers

Hello.

I was just wondering if the estimated WSU weighting of section 3 as 0.1/0.2 is solid, or is it possible/subject to change this year to perhaps equal that of section 1 and 2? Also, I was curious if there was a requirement of 50/50/50 which would mean you needed to get 50 or above in section 3?

Thank you very much for any help.

LMG!

Admodistrator
Hello.

I was just wondering if the estimated WSU weighting of section 3 as 0.1/0.2 is solid, or is it possible/subject to change this year to perhaps equal that of section 1 and 2? Also, I was curious if there was a requirement of 50/50/50 which would mean you needed to get 50 or above in section 3?

Thank you very much for any help.
It’s obviously impossible for us to predict how WSU are going to weight the scoring of UMAT from year to year. Last year was more difficult to predict than previous years had been, but still seemed to suggest 0.1 or 0.2 weighting for S3 (though that’s no guarantee this year will be the same).

Likewise on the 50/50/50 rule re. degree of certainty. All we can comment on is the past, and from that we have seen of that, there have ben multiple people with offers and section scores below 50. In fact, I know of one current rural WSU student who had a UMAT as follows: 40 something/80 something/40 something.

The key really is to aim for the best score you can get across all three sections. Trying to factor in weightings and corresponding effort probably means you’re beaten before you even sit the exam.

A1

Admissions Speculator
is it possible/subject to change this year to perhaps equal that of section 1 and 2?
WSU has been reducing S3's weight over the last 3 years, from 0.5 to 0.4 to now practically 0.1 . It's unlikely they would suddenly turn it all around.

Also, I was curious if there was a requirement of 50/50/50 which would mean you needed to get 50 or above in section 3?
This requirement is not stated anywhere by WSU. Last year a 68/70/48 (95th %ile) got an interview.

I was just wondering if the estimated WSU weighting of section 3 as 0.1/0.2 is solid
From the data LMG! laboriously collated I worked out the best fit for non-rural non-GWS last year was S1+S2 + 0.1(S3) = 136+
> 2018 Entry Interview Invites - Collated
(There may be one or two marginal exception cases but likely due to unseen decimal points in their section scores).