Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

WSU UMAT Cut-off

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
This is quite difficult to advise - we were trying to figure this out last year as the formula for weighting changed to almost not include S3's score.

The closest we got was S1 + S2 + 10% of S3 of over 128 (using raw section scores) got an interview but even this didn't work for some cases.

Malla

This is quite difficult to advise - we were trying to figure this out last year as the formula for weighting changed to almost not include S3's score.

The closest we got was S1 + S2 + 10% of S3 of over 128 (using raw section scores) got an interview but even this didn't work for some cases.

Cheers for the swift reply! So 55, 65, 64 for S1,2 &3 respectively would be cutting it very close right?

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Very close, yes.

A1

Rookie Doc
Cheers for the swift reply! So 55, 65, 64 for S1,2 &3 respectively would be cutting it very close right?

Sorry to be bearer of bad news but this needs to be corrected. The 128 cutoff for non-GWS was S1+S2 only, we didn't bother with including S3 since WSU counts it so low (i.e. the S3 differences between them weren't large enough to make a 1+ difference to the total). In fact a WSU insider asserts that the med committee he was on says S3 is not used at all.

Btw S1+S2 cutoff for GWS was around 124.

paxl

Lurker
Sorry to be bearer of bad news but this needs to be corrected. The 128 cutoff for non-GWS was S1+S2 only, we didn't bother with including S3 since WSU counts it so low (i.e. the S3 differences between them weren't large enough to make a 1+ difference to the total). In fact a WSU insider asserts that the med committee he was on says S3 is not used at all.

Btw S1+S2 cutoff for GWS was around 124.

Would it be reasonable to think that the UMAT cutoff for Rural applicants would be similar to the GWS ones? I'm also unsure as to the basis for how/why s3 s counted so low at WSU.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Would it be reasonable to think that the UMAT cutoff for Rural applicants would be similar to the GWS ones? I'm also unsure as to the basis for how/why s3 s counted so low at WSU.

Yes, the rural cut off last year was slightly lower than 124, perhaps as low as 118. I have the numbers somewhere and can get back to you in a moment. One possible explanation for the lack of emphasis on S3 for UWS is (total speculation) they've recognised that it's actually a relatively easy (compared to S1 and S2) section to 'learn' and therefore is not the differentiator it was intended to be. There are many other reasons why they might not use it, too.

ETA: I might have to take my initial comment back. I've just looked at my 'stats' from last year and the lowest rural combo I can find is 126. I've got anther combo at 120, but without rural status, so I'm assuming GWS.

A1, can you remember what we decided on this, last year?

A1

Rookie Doc
A1, can you remember what we decided on this, last year?

There were several non-GWS with >120 who got rejected so all it told us was that 120 could not be non-GWS. If we interpret that as must be GWS then yea I should revise the GWS cutoff to 120 or possibly lower.

maniacfish

so a 88%ile 64/60/53 might be enough? i sure hope so cos from what u guys are saying that seems to be the bare minimum required
edit: for a gws kiddo

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
so a 88%ile 64/60/53 might be enough? i sure hope so cos from what u guys are saying that seems to be the bare minimum required
edit: for a gws kiddo

Yes, it might just be enough :)

(ETA: assuming you have the ATAR/GPA also required, of course)

Zehun

Does anyone know what the umat cut off will be for UWS in 2018 for someone in the GWS region? Any help would be greatly appreciated

A1

Rookie Doc

A1

Rookie Doc
Hey I'm an interstate non-GWS non-rural or anything student, would 91%ile be enough to cop an interview for WSU do you think?

Hopefully I will be wrong but 91%ile (92 UMAT) is unlikely enough. If we use the %ile of S1+S2 as yardstick non-GWS needed around 94%ile.