Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

2011 MSO Exercise Commitment Thread

Season

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Okay so I have fallen off the enthusiasm train this past week, but city2surf has landed in my email..not sure as I have a 21st that weekend,anyone else signed up yet?

Jordan

Ok, so I've well and truly fallen off the bandwagon with the whole exercise thing but I'm going to recommit.

I (re)commit to go to the gym 3 times a week and walk to the beach on weekends.

Matt

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Exercise is a bit up and down but is going ok. I'm trying to decide whether to do the Gold Coast half-marathon or not. I said I would but it's on the Sunday before I go back to Sydney and I feel like a half-marathon starting at 7am mightn't be a good idea if I've got a 10 hour drive to do the following evening. On the other hand, I really want to do the Gold Coast half-marathon. Went for a run this evening, 11.5km according to google maps and it felt fairly comfortable, so I'm confident I can do it... just not sure on timing.

Season

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Exercise is a bit up and down but is going ok. I'm trying to decide whether to do the Gold Coast half-marathon or not. I said I would but it's on the Sunday before I go back to Sydney and I feel like a half-marathon starting at 7am mightn't be a good idea if I've got a 10 hour drive to do the following evening. On the other hand, I really want to do the Gold Coast half-marathon. Went for a run this evening, 11.5km according to google maps and it felt fairly comfortable, so I'm confident I can do it... just not sure on timing.

Can you afford to/ give yourself a present of flying?

Matt

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Yeah, but I'd rather drive up and back so I have my car with me. Plus it makes transporting things easier. I could fly, just would rather drive. I don't mind the drive, actually. Maybe I'll just organise to turn up a bit late on Monday.... only it's first day back...

elixir

Going to be serious about exercise now. Joined the gym last night- went for about 1.5hrs then played two games of netball :D and I still had energy!- will do a couple of hours tonight at the gym too- might go for a swim afterwoulds. Just doing cardio because I only want to be thin- not get big muscles..

adomad

mkay, Weekly update( only got 15 mins before it's more than a week *epp*)

Well i've been hitting the gym and I've been there twice this week. I don't really have any routine planned, but i figured that the move i\I move, the better :). During the holidays (last 4 months) I've been gymming, but I haven't been watching what i ate, so i guess that all went to waste. For the last 2 weeks, i've been doing the following
CARDIO:
15 mins on the cross trainer (on effort level 5[dunno if this means much to anyone but it's a setting on the machine :D])
15 mins on the treadmill on speed 5.5
WEIGHTS:
Arm extensions (Triceps): 30 kgs - 10 10 10 (reps)
Arm curls (biceps): 30 kgs - 20 15 10
Upper back (this machine http://tiny.cc/h3ndt ): 30 kgs- 20-15-10
lower back ( http://tiny.cc/sk9qg ) : 30 kgs: 20-15-10
Bench press 65kgs: 10 10 7(i aim for 10 in the last set, but im dead)
Shoulder press: 30 kgs: 10 5 5
I don't really have one of them routines where on certain days ill do my back, then my arms ect. I just do the above every time I go. As you probably have noticed, i do 30 kgs for most things, this was just a weight that i felt that I could do, although in the future i should attempt weights above 30 and see if i can do them.
In my room, i got a barbell, dumbbell and an ab king pro ( was my cousins but gave it to me cause he's a tank now:D). Every day i do 25 kgs barbell curls and every second day i do 50 "situps".
As far as my weight loss goes, in the previous week, i've lost 3 kgs and this week was a loss of 2.5 kgs. so im happy :)
PS: reading over this thread i see some heavy lifters... I need a program. so hit us up with a routine :DLet's see how I go this week
Since my last post I’ve gained like 4kgs of what I lost then. I guess this was due to not hitting the gym enough around exam time and not eating right. A month ago I started a proper program that consists of a structured diet and a proper routine. Since I started the, program I’ve lost 6kgs and 6% of body fat.
I’ve increased my cardio. I do 30 mins in the morning on an elliptical (effort level 10 now ;))and another 30 in the arvo (sometimes I’m too busy to do both, but I make sure that I at least do cardio once a day). My strength has increased a fair bit since the post hat I quoted.

Arm extensions (Triceps): 37.5 kgs - 10 10 10 (reps)
Arm curls (biceps): 40 kgs – 10-10-10
Upper back (this machine http://tiny.cc/h3ndt ): 50 kgs- 10-10-10
Lower back ( http://tiny.cc/sk9qg ) :65kgs: 10-10-10
Bench press 72.5kgs: 10-10-10
Shoulder press: 45 kgs: 10-10-10
I’ve also started doing legs since then
Leg Curls: 75kgs: 12-12-12
Leg extensions: 67.5kgs: 12-11-10
leg press: 140kgs: 10-10-10
Calf raises: 50 kgs: 20-20-20 then I do 30 with no weights. (I hear that the calf muscle responds more to high reps and doing them last 30 gives a nice good burn and gets the blood pumping there)
I started doing dead lifts yesterday (I claimed a free personal trainer session that my gym included with the membership) but he told me to just start off with the bar until I get the form right. So next legs day I’ll try to bump up the weight safely
I’ve split my routine DAY 1. Back and biceps DAY 2. Triceps and chest DAY 3. Legs and abs DAY 4. Shoulders DAY 5. Abs DAY 6- weights rest and double cardio( do 45mins each cardio session) DAY 7. Weights rest and normal cardio.
So yeah. That’s my life

Last edited:

adomad

Guyths! what happened to weekly/monthly updates?! I lost another 5kgs but im worrying that i might be losing strength as well. my triceps arm extension increased and i do 42.5 kgs now and my leg extension got bumped up to 75kgs

gulls

Victim of Procrastination
Emeritus Staff
Got a punch bag. So my aim is to be able to box for 5 minutes straight on the first set, I think by the end of this month. At the moment, I can go for 3 minutes on the 3rd set. My shoulders are in for a good ole beat down. The 'workout' looks something like this, sometimes there'll be a 4th set:

- warm up
- box for 1minute
- rest for ~45s
- box for 2 minutes
- rest for 1.5 minutes
- box for as long as I can

Jordan

Howdy, I went to the gym this evening so I thought I'd have a bit of a brag :p

I only went for half an hour with 10mins each on the bike, treadmill and cross-trainer. Nothing too hard but I was definitely more exhausted than I should be which is disappointing. Then a quick jog home and stretching when I got back. What is exciting though is that I've officially lost a grand total of 4kg which is rather nice. I have no idea how because I've been a lazy slob who pigs out on Maccas far too much recently but I'm not going to complain :)

JJOH

Bumping. Hope you're all sticking to your commitments! I finished my final HSC exam yesterday, so I'm giving this a shot.

Pushups 3x 30
Situps 3x 25
Burpee 3x 20 (minus the actual pushup part)
Bike/Jog/Walk Dog 30mins

I'll start off with that, and see what else I can add on or modify as I progress.

Any opinions?

Oedipa

I've been cycling a lot lately. At the moment I'm doing roughly 60km a day (stationary). I'd like to up this to about 75km whilst maintaining the same length workout by the time uni starts next year.

Second goal is to lose 7kg before Christmas. Winter hibernation was not good to me this year. I figure at a burn of about a thousand calories a day (don't worry, I'm still eating plenty, so my body ain't exactly in starvation mode) I'm losing approximately a kilo a week. So this should be just in time to undo all the good work by the time Santa visits.

Oedipa

This is a good start. But if you're not exercising regularly at the moment, you might find that you get tired of this very quickly - physically and mentally. I suggest that you alternate your cardio days and your strength days. This'll give your body time to recover from the different strains you're subjecting it to whilst still maintaining a regular program (and you should be pushing yourself). Of course, interval training is an excellent way to lose weight (if that's your goal), so I'd suggest that if you want to all those reps on your pushups, situps and burpees, that you mix it up. Make a little course for yourself that includes a combination of strength and cardio excercises.

An example of this would be a circuit with 6 stations, each lasting 2 minutes.
Station 1: Star jumps.
Station 2: Sit ups
Station 3: Burpees
Station 4: Pushups
Station 5: Have a small distance marked out (say 20 metres), jogging one way and sprinting back the other.
Station 6: Rest station.

You could aim to do the circuit so many times per day. And you can change it up really easily, for example, introducing weights or medicine balls, a skipping rope, etc etc etc. This staves off boredom like nothing else when it comes to excercise. Well, that, and audiobooks. Good luck!

JJOH

[MENTION=12719]Oedipa[/MENTION], I'm a regular squash player so my fitness isn't too bad. But, looking at your stationary bike distances, WOW, that's amazing!

Thanks for your advice, I'll incorporate it (after I finish cleaning my room out, thousands of pages of notes I never even knew I had) :lol: