Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Otago

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snidget

Hi there, I have had a very thorough look through all the threads and I wasn't too sure where to post this exactly, so mods if you feel the need to move this, I'm sorry for the hassle.

I am currently struggling to pick between Auckland and Otago. I have been accepted to both of my first choice residential halls at both unis- Unihall and St Margaret's respectively. I am currently doing English, Stats, Physics, Chem, and Bio at NCEA lvl 3, on track to get lvl 3 endorsed with excellence (I got lvl 1 and 2 with e). My strongest subjects are english and biology, followed by stats, and then chem and physics pretty much equal. I have a strong feeling my difficulties in chem and physics are more to do with not being naturally inclined towards those subjects (In lvl 2 I put barely any work into them at all, and got M,M,A for both chem and physics. I have been studying a lot harder for them this year) then a lack of intelligence. In the interest of honestly, I didn't really need to study until lvl 2, so studying came as a bit of a shock. I've done my best to learn to study and do better this year.

The advantages of Auckland: Health Science's non-core papers are more english-y and essay based. No physics! Only 4 papers really matter when getting into med. UMAT less important. Interview (I am a strong interviewee, I think). The climate is warmer and I am an asthmatic. Travel is cheaper and easier as I'm from Wellington. Ranked higher on the world uni ratings.

Disadvantages of Auckland: Very very expensive. UoA's 'living costs' pg says that up to 25,000 is needed a year (after first year). Staying for six years.

Advantages of Otago: Cheaper! Uni pg says up to 17,000 needed a year (after first year). Come back to Wellington after three years. Apparently a safer city, and easier for students to live in. Seems to have a better reputation- I know so many well-renowned doctors from Otago, and everyone seems to know that Otago is a med school whereas people are often surprised Auckland has one!

Disadvantages of Otago: Cold and I am an asthmatic. Travel is more expensive, but not by that much. Less convenient though. All papers count! UMAT more important- might not be a bad thing though.

I'd pretty much decided on Auckland until I looked up the costs of living. I have visited both uni's and I liked Otago more. My heart says Otago but my head says Auckland- and now the cost is making my head agree with my heart.

I would really really appreciate what you guys have to say about the disadvantages/advantages I've figured out and which ones are most important. I'm really sorry if this isn't the right place to ask. I am really torn right now and I have to decide by the 15th of October :(

Thanks in advance :)

frootloop

Doctor
There is a gigantic thread on this (which you are welcome to post in), so your 'thorough' look wasn't that great.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads