Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Adelaide High ATAR but low UMAT - what are my chances?

dr.who

Hi guys

I gained an ATAR of 99.80 but a UMAT score of only 77% - I'm hoping for a second round MBBS interview at Adelaide in Jan 2017 but not sure whether this is achievable with the scores I have. Do I have a chance, either at Adelaide or at Flinders, or should I move on and consider postgraduate entry options for Med?

Thanks in advance MSO for the help and best of luck to all those also hoping for 2nd round interviews!

B2

Hi guys

I gained an ATAR of 99.80 but a UMAT score of only 77% - I'm hoping for a second round MBBS interview at Adelaide in Jan 2017 but not sure whether this is achievable with the scores I have. Do I have a chance, either at Adelaide or at Flinders, or should I move on and consider postgraduate entry options for Med?

Thanks in advance MSO for the help and best of luck to all those also hoping for 2nd round interviews!

99.80 has been enough at flinders in some years and has missed out in some years so it just depends on the competitive scores that flinders receive this year. For Adelaide, again same scenario but you stand a decent chance of an interview. Have you applied interstate, because with that ATAR, you should be able to get medicine offers from griffith

dr.who

Thanks for that @med989 - I haven't applied to unis outside SA (as I'd much prefer to stay in my home state than be landed with the expenses of interstate study on top of uni fees) but an offer interstate is better than no offer at all so I'll have a look at Griffith for sure.

I know it varies from year to year as you say, but if anyone reading this gained entrance to either Flinders or Adelaide with similar scores, please join the conversation.

Also: does anyone know how many second round interviews are offered and then how many applicants Adelaide Uni accepts out of that pool of interviewees? I've heard it's a scarily small number, like less than 35? And apparently Flinders take even less, like 20 max?

A1

Rookie Doc
I haven't applied to unis outside SA (as I'd much prefer to stay in my home state than be landed with the expenses of interstate study on top of uni fees) but an offer interstate is better than no offer at all so I'll have a look at Griffith for sure.

If you didn't apply for Griffith in Aug/Sept it's too late to look at it for this year. To try next year you will have to take a gap year as Griffith does not accept non-standard applicants. Cutoff for 2016 intake was 99.80 plus a few 99.75s but likely to rise higher.

Some people disputed me but I'm convinced Flinders cutoff last year was 99.85, since I got no offer with 99.80 + 100%ile UMAT.

Adel interviews ~500 main round and 150-200 second round. Usually there isn't a set number of places for 2nd round, what the unis do is if the 1st/2nd round interviewees ratio is 75/25 they would offer say 70% number of places to 1st round. With 30% places (plus a certain number of declines) to 25% interviewees this should result in a lower cutoff for places in 2nd round, which is also back applied to 1st round interviewees. It's why we often see some miss out a 1st round place offer then get one in 2nd round.

A1

Rookie Doc

B2

@dr.who

If you are unsuccessful in getting a flinders or adelaide offer, you can still look at applying for bond medicine which opens its applications around the 20th of january. Be aware that this is a full fee playing place, costing above 300k for the medicine degree to be completed in around 5 years.

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
@dr.who

If you are unsuccessful in getting a flinders or adelaide offer, you can still look at applying for bond medicine which opens its applications around the 20th of january. Be aware that this is a full fee playing place, costing above 300k for the medicine degree to be completed in around 5 years.

I suspect that if @dr.who didn't want to apply interstate due to the costs of living interstate that Bond is not an option for them.

Reactions: B2

dr.who

I wouldn't really consider Bond at the moment, mainly because I feel like I have a chance (albeit slim) of getting into a course in my own state, next year if not this year. Of course, as I said, an interstate offer is better than no offer so if it comes to that, I would take it.

Just back to Griffith Uni's med course - is it available to school leavers? I had a brief look at their website and I couldn't find a definitive answer. It seems like most unis are no longer accepting school leavers, which I suppose is because they want committed applicants with more life experience?

Last edited:

georgina

Hi
Just wanted to let you know that according to the staff at my interview prep course the lowest UMAT score (that they know of) that got in at Adelaide last year was UMAT 70%tile with ATAR 99.80, non-rural.

Hope this helps :)

A1

Rookie Doc
It seems like most unis are no longer accepting school leavers

Of the ~3200 med places each year about 1200 are grad entry so still 2000 (undergrad+provisional) for school leavers & non-standards.

Griffith Med for school leavers is the BMedSc course with provisional entry to MD in 2 years time. You need to apply urgently through QTAC as applications close tomorrow
Bachelor of Medical Science (1280)

dr.who

Thanks for the info @A1. and also for alerting me to the application deadline, I'll have a good look into Griffith and make a decision on it.

@georgina yes that helps a lot, gives me some hope, even though things may be different this year. Thank goodness UMAT is only 20% and ATAR is 40% for Adelaide! Good luck for interviews as well!