Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

No future in Medicine?

What if the Gov reduced the number of medical student places in each uni by x%

Or close the recently-opened medical schools and turn them into distance campuses for placements for current medical students from other schools in an exchange program...

At least the infrastructure wouldn't be wasted.

Not going to happen though imagine the stink kicked up by media "doctors trying to keep shortage in place". Also I assume these unis would kick up a fuss too, no matter what you say having a med course at your uni gives it a "prestige".

Yeah I can never imagine a uni being happy about losing a med place... and the funding they get for it!

I have faith we will be able to create enough intern and resident places, not just by creating more places at already accredited hospitals but by creating more accredited hospitals, eg private hospitals and rural hospitals!.. But when it comes to specialty training... I can only see enough GP places being created.

That was just tongue-in-cheek ;)

Off topic but out of curiosity is it ACEM or RACEM because I've seen both used. Also does Royal in the name relate to the college being an offshoot of an originally British college?

Off topic but out of curiosity is it ACEM or RACEM because I've seen both used. Also does Royal in the name relate to the college being an offshoot of an originally British college?

It's ACEM. As for the "Royal" moniker, I don't know (and don't much care!). I suspect it's all a ****.

if you thought you had problems. medicine is a career where people with problems expect you to solve their problems for them
Edit:
Medicare will be abolished in the future government cant afford it.

Amfibius, I understand how you feel completely! I think its a natural response for us to get frustrated with patients when they're not helping themselves or even getting in the way of our treatment by not taking what we prescribe or not starting psychotherapy, or in my case its really annoying when I've been working my ass off to get their mood to a somewhat stable state and they start doing coke and drinking because "they need to have a life".

But our jobs and skills only go so far, and I 've tried to keep that in mind. The rest is up to them. That helped me not focus on the negative feelings I would get in those situations, and then my frustration wouldn't distract me and the patients became very trusting because they realized they could "let me down" and still I would try to help.

Of course I can only think like that because I get enough sleep, proper weekends,etc. I think you're exhausted and everything looks a lot worse when we are. Its ridiculous that they put us through that kind of shit when training when theres been so much published regarding cortisol/stress and mental illness.

And about corruption, I had a big problem as a resident with that. It still makes me feel miserable when I remember how disappointed I got. But what can you do? I know I can't do much. But maybe we were a bit too idealistic, I know I still am.

Back