Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UNSW Pre-Medicine Program for First Nations Students: Overview and Questions

Deboza

UNSW MD II
Background:

The Indigenous pre-medical program is a 2–3-week online course (thanks covid) for high school leavers, uni graduates and mature aged Indigenous students who are interested in studying medicine at university. The program is delivered in partnership with UNSW medicine and Nura Gili (The indigenous unit for UNSW) as an alternative entry pathway into medicine.

Application Process:

The application process is competitive by nature, and UNSW will only select candidates that best suit their selection criteria.

Some of the criteria used to select candidates are shown below:
  • Demonstrated motivation to practice medicine.
  • Academic capability, including, the capacity to achieve within the UNSW Medicine Program;
  • Demonstrable ability to relate to Indigenous Health issues.
You apply by lodging an application to study a Bachelor of Medical Studies / Doctor of Medicine with UAC. You also have to complete the online UNSW Indigenous Pre-Programs application via the UNSW website.

As a part of the UNSW Indigenous Pre-Programs application, you are required to write a personal statement up to 1000 words based on why you have chosen to study medicine, what your aspirations are with regards to university education, how you plan to use your education to give back to community and express any uncertainties about coming to university to study medicine.

Supporting Documents:

To be considered for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander pathway, you need to provide confirmation of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander status.

Either by a letter of “Confirmation of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Descent” provided by an Indigenous Community organisation. This must be stamped with the organisation’s common seal of certification. OR A Statutory Declaration. This is a legal binding document demonstrating your self- identification as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person. The Statutory Declaration must be accompanied by any of the following:

• Proof that you are an Abstudy recipient;
  • Proof of genealogy, such as birth records or an official family tree;
  • A letter from an Indigenous organisation or Aboriginal Liaison Officer that recognises you as an Indigenous person. This must contain the organisation’s letterhead; or
  • A letter from an Indigenous person employed in an Indigenous identified position. For instance, an Aboriginal School Liaison Officer or Aboriginal Community Worker. This must also contain the organisation’s letterhead.
  • A letter from a school that recognises you as an Indigenous student

For recent school leavers:

You will need to supply copies of your year 11 & 12 school reports; transcripts of any other studies/courses undertaken; and any other awards or achievements such as work experience, extracurricular activities etc.

For applicants who completed school earlier than 2021:

You will need to supply copies of the final school read reports and details of the course(s), if recent; a CV/resume detailing work experience and education or training undertaken since leaving school; and anything else that can support your application.

Pre-medicine Program (PMP):

The PMP simulates the experience of being a first-year medical student at UNSW; in both content and pace.

The content will cover areas in Biology, Pharmacology, Biochemistry, Physiology, Anatomy, Ethics & Learning Skills. As such you will have lectures, tutorials and practical's based on the above areas.

Assessments consists of three pieces. An individual assignment, a group assignment, and an end of course exam. The results of these assessments and exit interview determines if UNSW believe you would be successful in studying medicine.

Every day after there are yarn sessions with current UNSW students and with students who are doing other pre-programs. Current UNSW indigenous medical students also volunteer to be tutors, and to help answer any questions about the content.

Official Links:

Indigenous Entry into Medicine | Medicine - UNSW Sydney

Other:

Please note that the above information can change at any time at the discretion of UNSW & Nura Gili, and what I have provided is what I personally went through. For the most up to date information, go to the links I have provided above.

Don't hesitate to inbox me, or if I dont reply I am happy for MSO admin to give out my Facebook account :)

Last edited:
Excellent Post Deboza! Would be even more valuable if people ask question in the forums rather than PM's ;)

Hey, I'm an Indigenous student applying this year. Would I be able to PM you, I have a few questions around all the undergrad unis and their pathways as they don't give you much information on their website.

Hey, I'm an Indigenous student applying this year. Would I be able to PM you, I have a few questions around all the undergrad unis and their pathways as they don't give you much information on their website.
Sure I'd be happy to answer any questions that you may have :)

Hi, I was hoping to seek information for my Medical Interview, I’m an Indigenous applicant applying for Medicine. I would appreciate if someone can guide me on what to expect and common questions that is critical to be ready for? I‘m finding it quite difficult to find resources that can help me. Thank you

Back