Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

[Undergrad] Wam, gpa, atar

Myself

For non-standard applicants at UNSW they weight your ATAR 50% and your WAM 50%. Other unis seem to be using GPA.

How can i find out what ATAR a WAM converts to.
I find this really confusing and would appreciate any help :)

For non-standard applicants at UNSW they weight your ATAR 50% and your WAM 50%. Other unis seem to be using GPA.

How can i find out what ATAR a WAM converts to.
I find this really confusing and would appreciate any help :)

hi i would also like to know how to convert between WAM and atar...i've been told if i reapply to undergrad med next yr at unsw it will be weighted as follows:

25% (wam/atar 50:50) 25% rural score, 25% UMAT, 25% interview...

just getting the interview would be GREAT

well on their website they said that 98 ENTER is maintained with HD and D averages in subjects, which is around a GPA of 6.5 if we go by averages of D's are a GPA of 6.0 and averages of HD's are 7.0. Which is what UNSW is inferring..

However qtac has done a conversion table (this is so different to what UNSW as inferred above):
https://www.qtac.edu.au/InfoSheets/UpgradingViaTertiary.html

GPA: ATAR:
6.5 99.00
6.00~6.24 98.00
5.50~5.74 97.00

It doesn't seem right to me that getting a GPA of 5.50 (which appears quite easy from what i've heard) is an ATAR of 97.00. Also in Uni, some people get much better at studier making a 6.0+ much easier than a 98.00 at school.

Anyways. Enjoy lawl

Last edited:
I heard that 98 ATAR would require 2D's and HD's and that didnt seem right. It's wayyyy easier than that to get 98 ATAR.
Based on that D avg would be like a 96? that sucks :(
I dont want my mid 99 ATAR to drop below 98.75 <_<

well on their website they said that 98 ENTER is maintained with HD and D averages in subjects, which is around a GPA of 6.5 if we go by averages of D's are a GPA of 6.0 and averages of HD's are 7.0. Which is what UNSW is inferring..

However qtac has done a conversion table (this is so different to what UNSW as inferred above):
https://www.qtac.edu.au/InfoSheets/UpgradingViaTertiary.html

GPA: ATAR:
6.5 99.00
6.00~6.24 98.00
5.50~5.74 97.00

It doesn't seem right to me that getting a GPA of 5.50 (which appears quite easy from what i've heard) is an ATAR of 97.00. Also in Uni, some people get much better at studier making a 6.0+ much easier than a 98.00 at school.

Anyways. Enjoy lawl

these systems are a sure way to confuse people! haha

well my atar is only 93.25... (enough for rural) but i should be able to boost this without too much effort then if the conversions are a/a...ehh its allll going to come down to UMAT- again.

Just thought I'd offer some info on WAM, GPA and ATAR.

WAM is used at USyd and UNSW, all other unis (concerned with med) within NSW use GPA.

Essentially, the difference between GPA and WAM is the measurement used to express your mark. WAM is concerned with your actual mark, whilst GPA is concerned with your grade resulting from the mark. Hence, the names: Weighted Average Mark and Grade Point Average.

So, at unis in NSW the marks are calculated using this standard scale:

<49: Fail
50 - 64: Pass
65 - 74: Credit
75 - 84: Distinction
85 - 100: High Distinction

Here are the corresponding grades:

Fail: 0 (although in one instance, a "provisional fail" or something to that effect, may earn you a 3)
Pass: 4
Credit: 5
Distinction: 6
High Distinction: 7

So, let's say you typically do eight units a year, four per semester, (a full time load), and you get 66 in every subject. Your GPA would amount to 5 x 8 / 8, which would equal 5. Your WAM on the other hand would equal 66 x 8 / 8, which equals 66.

As for your ATAR and WAM conversion, I refer you to the following BOS address:

https://www.boredofstudies.org/other/find7.pdf#search='gpa ter conversion'

Head on over to Schedule 3 - Bachelor degree studies, since you guys are aiming to study a bachelor's degree. It lists the shaping ATAR and GPA conversion according to how long you've studied for. Other schedules discuss ATAR and GPA conversions according to other tertiary awards such as Diploma, Certs, etc. Oh, and FTE stands for full time equivalent.

:D

Last edited:

If you go to
Schedule 3 it takes into consideration how many years you have studied.
If you have completed 1 yr is that the first coloumn 0.99fte or 1.0 FTE,

If you go to

i would assume its the second column 1.0 FTE
the first is if you have only done like 7 subjects instead of 8, or you didn't complete one subject, hence <1 year.

If you want to see what percentiles equate to what GPA per school check here about half way down:

https://gamsat.acer.edu.au/images/documents/GMAC_Admission_Guide_2010.pdf

And yes, almost half have a GPA of 7.0 of a percentile of 85%+, with 75%+ being a GPA of 6.75 - this uncludes UNSW, whereas other schools like ANU and UoM, a 7.0 GPA is 80%+.

Thanks vexx, but do be careful because ACER rounds up ones GPA. Like the link I provided showed, your GPA at the end of your degree is different to the one provided during completion, as such, the percentages will differ. But assuming one completes their degree and applies through GAMSAT, then yes, that info's spot on!

thanks for that (y)

whats credit point value?

Credit Point Value is the value of the unit you're doing. So, one subject is equal to ten credit points. So, using the analogy of studying a full time load, that would amount to completion of 80 credit points.

If you go to

It's the first column. UAC will round up your 0.99 to one year full time anyway, but the second column is from your second year of studies to your third. As long as you study a full time load, you will have satisfied the one year minimum requirement.

And apologies, it was Schedule 3.

Back