Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

[Undergrad] Pre-UMAT 2017 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, I agree with @nire. @A1 posted a more lengthy discussion on this here a while back.

For another data point I'm sure of from last year: 183 = 92nd. Remember 1 question = (very approximately) 2 aggregate points, so don't leave any blank answers at the end. Guess, guess, guess, and use chance in your favour.
Yeah I only ask because UQ Dent, only look at aggregate. So % aren't really important, I only really need to outrank the applicants of UQ dent. Sill obvs. aim for the highest to give the best chance + believe in yourself! :)

Yeah I only ask because UQ Dent, only look at aggregate. So % aren't really important, I only really need to outrank the applicants of UQ dent. Sill obvs. aim for the highest to give the best chance + believe in yourself! :)

Do you know what the cut-off was last year, by any chance?

Do you know what the cut-off was last year, by any chance?

I called UQ and they said that the UMAT cutoff score was 176.55.

I believe that the UQ UMAT cut-off was a bit lower than other universities. 55 was the section 1 score (UQ has a system where it considers section 1 during the deliberation of two identical scores)

Source: Applying for undergraduate study - Future Students - The University of Queensland, Australia

Edit: Link to the quoted text = UQ - Bachelor of Dental Science (Honours) 2017 Offers

Exam 8
Overall: 106/134 = 96 percentile
Section 1: 39/48 = 94 percentile
Section 2: 33/44 = 98 percentile
Section 3: 34/42 = 81 percentile

Had about 20 minutes at the end, which I spent on all of the problem solving questions. Thought I did better in section 3. Section 2 was a surprise.

Exam 8

Had about 20 minutes at the end, which I spent on all of the problem solving questions. Thought I did better in section 3. Section 2 was a surprise.
You are DESTROYING the practice exams. Good on ya.

Exam 8

ayyyy that section 2 is looking really good ACE

I believe it was 176 last year and 171 the year before. So I should probably aim for mid 180s min.

Iirc the prev year was 173 with a high S1 tiebreaker so the increase to 176/lowS1 was like 2.5 marks, not 5.

Bonded med prev year was 182, last year 181. I dont think you will need 180+ for Dent.

Just wondering, how'd you guys go for exams 5,6 and 10?

Also wanted to ask, how are you guys going to spend the two days before the UMAT? I definitely don't want to overload myself and do another exam and I don't want to relax completely on those days. Advice appreciated!

Just wondering, how'd you guys go for exams 5,6 and 10?

Also wanted to ask, how are you guys going to spend the two days before the UMAT? I definitely don't want to overload myself and do another exam and I don't want to relax completely on those days. Advice appreciated!

The two days before UMAT I'll be working 9-5 as per usual.

Most of us regulars to this thread have posted our results for any exams we've already done. Go back through and you'll find them all. I haven't done exam 10, yet. I did exam 9 earlier this week, so will probably do 10 tomorrow.

My uni starts on 24th and I am still debating whether I should go to uni or not at least on 24th because I'd promised myself that I'd have a good start to the semester this time (lol). In terms of UMAT, I won't be doing any questions two days before but will definitely be reviewing my written notes on 24th. On 25th, I will try to clear my head and sleep early.

Not sure how relevant this is, Did Acer PE 3 again because I got over studying. (Because doing a three hour test instead of studying makes sense...)
Did it under time with 10 minutes to spare under unideal conditions, and got 101/134, 10 point improvement.

S1 23/48 -> 32/48
S2 37/44 -> 35/44
S3 31/42 -> 34/42

Last edited:
Not sure how relevant this is, Did Acer PE 3 again because I got over studying. (Because doing a three hour test instead of studying makes sense...)
Did it under time with 10 minutes to spare under unideal conditions, and got 101/134. A 10 point improvement from last time

This might be significant, depending on how much time you spent reviewing the questions you got wrong when you did it last time. If you didn't, it's probably a sign that you've improved, and also a sign that time limit might be one of the reasons why you got the questions wrong last time. That happens to me a lot, I rush through questions (my judgement of time is really, really bad) and I realise later that I should've spent more time but obviously time is important. Can we slow time on 26th? Can we have .5 seconds more for every second. I'd appreciate that.

Am I going in circles? Yes. Is this post utterly useless? Yes. K bye.

Yeah, I def remembered some answers and some processes, some questions I drew a complete blank on. I probably could have used my time better by studying more, but it was a good test in memory, time management, solving questions I got wrong in the past. I generally review all my incorrect answers (still haven't fully done my ME 9 review from a few days ago). S3 is def my strongest, I probably spend 30 secs max on a question. I think everyone should have at least one strong section going in, that way it gives more time to work on the more time consuming questions (I'm looking at you S1)

This might be significant, depending on how much time you spent reviewing the questions you got wrong when you did it last time. If you didn't, it's probably a sign that you've improved, and also a sign that time limit might be one of the reasons why you got the questions wrong last time. That happens to me a lot, I rush through questions (my judgement of time is really, really bad) and I realise later that I should've spent more time but obviously time is important. Can we slow time on 26th? Can we have .5 seconds more for every second. I'd appreciate that.

Am I going in circles? Yes. Is this post utterly useless? Yes. K bye.

Just did ME exam 7, got 85/134 there were huge improvements in S1 cause I spent an hour and a half on it lol, this definitely showed in the other sections, S2 was 0-20th percentile from 93rd percentile a couple of exams ago .

This is the 4th time I've gotten between 84 and 86 on ME exams and I'm freaking out . Does anyone have any tips for how long they spend on each section? I went over by 15 mins on this one, I started S2 with 20 something minutes to go so not surprised by the result...

Last edited:
Just did ME exam 7, got 85/134 there were huge improvements in S1 cause I spent an hour and a half on it lol, this definitely showed in the other sections, S2 was 0-20th percentile from 93rd percentile a couple of exams ago .

This is the 4th time I've gotten between 84 and 86 on ME exams and I'm freaking out . Does anyone have any tips for how long they spend on each section? I went over by 15 mins on this one, I started S2 with 20 something minutes to go so not surprised by the result...

90ish minutes on S1 actually isn't too unreasonable, but that's dependent on your ability to do the other sections quite quickly.

I've set myself the following goal: time-wise.

S2: 30 minutes (plus reading time)
S1: 80 minutes
S3: 60 minutes

10 minutes spare (this is probably a pipe dream and will be used up in 3 minute increments in the above plan!!).

84-86 on ME exams is pretty decent. If you consider it's widely agreed you'll get a few more correct in the actual exam as the ME ones are slightly more difficult, we can work on the idea you might be looking at around 90 questions correct, which will get you ~90th%ile (assuming no disasters on the day :))

Given S2 is a relative strength for you, what's your reasoning for doing it last? I'd be doing the sections in order of:

1. Strongest section, 2. Important section (if it's not your strongest section. Eg: S1 for JMP, S2 for UTAS), 3. Whatever else.

But obviously that's ultimately for you to decide! And if you're wanting to do S2 last, you definitely need to set yourself time limits on the other two so that you've got adequate time left to do a section you're pretty strong in.

oh okay, and just asking for opinions, do you think ME questions increase in difficulty as you move towards the end? Is this the same with the real UMAT? because I'm thinking of starting the questions from the back (if harder questions are here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back