Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Laptops

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Anything windows based should run on windows so yes you can run games, and they will run well and fast enough on that nice intel core 2 duo.

I didn't order the black one, it's cheaper to upgrade the white one to get the same stats. Besides... this white one matches my white ipod...

Mana

Administrator
oh btw that's if you dual boot or use an emulator...

edit: yeah, the integrated graphics is not the best thing ever. I definitely wouldn't try running half-life 2 on it. It should be fine though for cs 1.6 or warcraft 3 though.

spon888

Originally posted by Kiwilander@Jan 29 2007, 01:25 PM
Actually, could someone help me out?

I'm quite the comp geek myself, but that only applies to desktop hardware. For my latop (which is a year old); its a Dell Inspiron 6000.

I bought it at the time, coz I was doing FYHS at Otago, and so, there wasn't going to be any fun and games for me. But now thats all over, I was thinking to upgrade my graphics (buying a new laptop would just be too expensive).

From the desktop side, I know I would be very pleased with a 7600, or even a 7800. But the catch is, I don't mind upgrading through Dell itself, so that I keep my 3 year warrantee (even if it costs a little much). Has any1 ever done this before?
[snapback]30134[/snapback]​

I didn't even think upgrading laptop graphics was possible. First of all, does your 7600 have an integrated or discrete graphics solution? If it is discrete, you would have to talk with the Dell guys directly about whether there are any graphics cards available that would fit the architecture within your Inspiron 6000. So best thing - call Dell first.

ps I'm a desktop whiz myself, but notebook components baffle me.
pps If you were after a gaming desktop, what sort of components would you go for? i.e. AMD/Intel, NVidia/ATI etc

spon888

Originally posted by Mana@Jan 29 2007, 06:08 PM
edit: yeah, the integrated graphics is not the best thing ever. I definitely wouldn't try running half-life 2 on it. It should be fine though for cs 1.6 or warcraft 3 though.
[snapback]30178[/snapback]​

Just about anything can run WOW, although I don't know much about Mac's. What exactly is the definitive difference between a Mac and PC?

I know PC's (popularised by IBM) run Windows, and Mac's (produced by Apple) run the Mac OS line, but ever since they've been crossing over in terms of hardware and software components, this line has easily been blurred. Are there any MAC geeks here?

Michelle

Idk about how good acer's are. My old laptop was an acer and it was great. I am not a gamer, so I don't need capability in that sense, however, i wanted a bit of power. So I think it'll do me fine. I used to have a celeron but it was waaayyy too slow, so that's the reason why i wanted an intel core 2 processor.

If you're into games etc than you probably might want a better brand. I don't really know. I think 'ASUS' is about the cheapest around at the moment. idk how good they are either.

I'm gonna get a TV tuner for it tomorrow... w00t!

Kiwilander

Originally posted by spon888@Jan 29 2007, 07:51 PM
I didn't even think upgrading laptop graphics was possible. First of all, does your 7600 have an integrated or discrete graphics solution? If it is discrete, you would have to talk with the Dell guys directly about whether there are any graphics cards available that would fit the architecture within your Inspiron 6000. So best thing - call Dell first.

ps I'm a desktop whiz myself, but notebook components baffle me.
pps If you were after a gaming desktop, what sort of components would you go for? i.e. AMD/Intel, NVidia/ATI etc
[snapback]30194[/snapback]​

I would probably go for Intel, mainly becoz of its multi tasking capabilities (I wouldnt mind forking out a little more cash), and just becoz my first graphics card was an Nvidia 6800, I'm all in for Nvidia!

Mana

Administrator
If i were after a gaming pc,

AMD > intel in my opinion... cheaper and faster (not sure about recent ones but historically that has been the case)

also i would run ATI... only because it's affiliated with AMD... lol

spon888

Originally posted by Mana@Jan 29 2007, 09:47 PM
If i were after a gaming pc,

AMD > intel in my opinion... cheaper and faster (not sure about recent ones but historically that has been the case)

also i would run ATI... only because it's affiliated with AMD... lol
[snapback]30228[/snapback]​

As of today, there aren't enough motherboards right now that support the new Intel Quad Core Processor, so AMD is the go. NVidia has also just released the first Graphics Card to support DirectX 10 with its 8800GTX?, recently surpassing ATI in benchmark tests. Its really the neverending battle between AMD/Intel, NVidia/ATI, Mac/PC.

I've been following all this information ever since I realised my computer doesn't enjoy Microsoft Flight Sim X...which basically requires nothing less than a 3.6Ghz Processor to support a playable fps count

Mana

Administrator
lol! I don't know much about nvidia vs amd speed-wise over the years...

I bet AMD will come up with a quad-core clone soon that is faster AND cheaper...

spon888

Originally posted by Mana@Jan 29 2007, 10:07 PM
lol! I don't know much about nvidia vs amd speed-wise over the years...

I bet AMD will come up with a quad-core clone soon that is faster AND cheaper...
[snapback]30232[/snapback]​

Its NVidia VS ATI, but there is some truth in what you said - AMD has recently acquired ATI, and its been speculated they are going to make High End Integrated Graphics (for the low end market) :lol:

With the Quad Cores, there is much debate as to what it actually means. Intel claimed bragging rights back in October 2006, when they put 2 Core Duos onto the same chip, but AMD is arguing that its not a fully integrated "Quad Core". However AMD has announced that they plan to release a real quad core - 4 cores all in the one chip.

complex

Just curious but wouldnt the tapping of the keyboard annoy the people in the lecture hall? Iv never really seen a lecture hall or been in a lecture so I don't know how much ambient or background noise there usually is.

Mana

Administrator
as discussed earlier... no-one actually brings a laptop into the lecture hall...

complicated

At Monash, some people do bring laptops into lectures...it does make some noise, but it's not really loud to the point of being annoying or distracting (well, to me at least).

AussieChica

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
i eat in lectures and put my feet over the seats in front of me (so do lots of others- wonder if i can get away w that in me?). anyway nobody minds but there r some ppl who just whisper the WHOLE way through. such ppl should not come to lectures.

Mana

Administrator
is passing notes okay? :p

spon888

So in what situations are laptops used for University/in what situations are they the most useful to have around?

i.e. Lectures, Tutorials, PBL Groups, Library, Doing work in the Great Outdoors, In a Residential College (if you happen to stay in one), On the train/bus/plane etc.

Is there a noticeable difference in the transition from desktop to notebook?

Also, does anyone ride a bicycle and carry their laptop with them? Do you have to get one of those laptop backpacks, and how inconvenient is it to ride and carry them?

theangelofdarkness

International Member of Mystery
Emeritus Staff
i use my laptop in lectures to take notes instead of a notebook - i can't read my writing, plus i can type almost faster than i can talk...

pbl - never taken my laptop there, because i don't take notes in pbl so much.

library - very very useful (for me) - i don't have to buy any textbooks, and i can make notes from textbooks straight onto my laptop.

great outdoors - tried that once, and got a leaf stuck in my fan :( (windy day).

residential college - they work alright as a desktop replacement, but they're nothing compared with what a desktop really is like, although if you're like me and you like studying upside down, it's better to have a laptop because you can drag it around the room (although i guess with wireless keyboards and things you could do that... but i'd have to stick my monitor upside down above my bed or something)

train/bus/plane - 5 hours difference between my home town and uni means that yes, it's great for the train/bus - read notes, listen to music...watch grey's anatomy

the biggest difference between desktop and notebook is if you want to play games really. i would not recommend a laptop for games, because you can't really upgrade them and you'd want to buy a high end one ($5k) to last a year playing the latest games, whereas an equivalent desktop would be more like $2.5-$3k. but laptops are great for their mobility & versatility.

bicycle - i've never tried it, as most laptop backpacks are huuuuuuge and i tend to also stuff them with textbooks and i think i'd fall backwards off my bike. make sure you shop around for a backpack because i know you can get smaller ones, but they're harder to find (plus they're also quite often expensive, at least for a bag).