Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Med Place Offers 2017 (Offers Only - All Unis)

bbbb

Thought i'd post here to help future MSO people.

Offer: Yes
University: UNSW, JCU, CURTIN (MED) then CSU, ADEL (DENT)
*got monash med interview but not going to go i don't think *
ATAR/GPA: 98.6
UMAT: 98
Special Consideration: none
Bonded/Unbonded: all Unbonded

Good luck to everyone still waiting on offers, remember that god (or whatever you believe) has a plan and if medicine is truly what your heart desirers then you will get there :)

ccsaus

Here is my summary for future reference

ATAR: 99.90
UMAT: 89%ile - Overall score 179 (63/55/60)
Special Consideration: N/A
Local NSW GWS school leaver

OFFERS:
Griffth Gold Coast
UMelb Chancellor's Scholars Program
JMP New Castle

Interviewed (or no interview required) but NO offers
UNSW :(
UQLD (seems Umat cutoff being 181)
Flinders (saw 99.85/84%ile got offer, don’t know what’s going on)

Applied but NO interview offer
UADL : First round No - Second round Yes (but not going, will choose offer between JMP and UMelb)
UWS: No
UWA : No
Monash : No :(
Curtin: No (saw 99.05/87%ile got offer, don’t know what’s going on)

Thanks to A1, Mana, MedDent101 & everyone else organizing MSO.

Last edited:

hopeful!

Thought i'd post here to help future MSO people.

University: UNSW, JCU, CURTIN (MED) then CSU, ADEL (DENT)
*got monash med interview but not going to go i don't think *
ATAR/GPA: 98.6
UMAT: 98
Special Consideration: none
Bonded/Unbonded: all Unbonded

Good luck to everyone still waiting on offers, remember that god (or whatever you believe) has a plan and if medicine is truly what your heart desirers then you will get there :)

Pwoahh, congratulations on all the offers!!!!! Quick question: When did you receive your monash med interview offer? Today or yesterday?

biom

Supreme Overlord of the Chatbox

ATAR: 99.90
UMAT: 89%ile - Overall score 179 (63/55/60)

OFFERS:
Griffth Gold Coast
UMelb Chancellor's Scholars Program
JMP New Castle

Interviewed (or no interview required) but NO offers
UNSW :(
UQLD (seems Umat cutoff being 181)
Flinders (saw 99.85/84%ile got offer, don’t know what’s going on)

Applied but NO interview offer
UADL : First round No - Second round Yes (but not going, will choose offer between JMP and UMelb)
UWS: No
UWA : No
Monash : No :(
Curtin: No (saw 99.05/87%ile got offer, don’t know what’s going on)

Thanks to A1, Mana, MedDent101 & everyone else organizing MSO.
I suspect your S2 number might be the answer to "don’t know what’s going on" and possibly those offers had rural status.

Three offers is not too bad!!

A1

Rookie Doc
ATAR: 99.90 UMAT: 89%ile - Overall score 179 (63/55/60)

>>Interviewed (or no interview required) but NO offers
>>Flinders (saw 99.85/84%ile got offer, don’t know what’s going on)

I suspect you pref Adel higher, still to interview there so SATAC withheld Flinders offer.
If you now move Flinders to top pref you might get it 2nd round for trophy :)

>>Applied but NO interview offer
>>Monash : No :(

This again confirms Monash interview cutoff for interstate is orders of magnitude higher than for Vic local.
Congrats on your multiple offers.

dr.who

@ccsaus so I'm guessing you must have heard back from Adelaide Uni today for a 2nd round interview offer? Just asking because I received neither an offer or a rejection email from Adelaide and am thinking maybe I've just missed out (again!).

Congrats on the offers btw!!!!

University: Adelaide Uni
ATAR: 97.35
UMAT: 99, 201 (69, 59, 73)
Special considerations: None
Bonded
Adelaide School Leaver

University: UQ
OP1
UMAT: 99, 201 (69, 59, 73)
Special Considerations: Bonus points for HL Maths/French
Unbonded

Last edited:

harki

Lurker
Hi All,

This is a great site of support. Here are the details of my son who accepted a place in Monash. All the best for next year.

University: UQ (unbonded), Curtin (unbonded), WSU (unbonded), UTAS (bonded), Monash (bonded)
ATAR: 99.15
UMAT: 96
Special Consideration: None
Bonded/Unbonded: As per above

HZL

University: UMelb Chancellor's Scholars Program
ATAR: 99.95
UMAT: N/A
Bonded/Unbonded: -

Wow congrats!! That's exactly what I wanna do! What were your subject scores to get that perfect ATAR?

med12345

University: Griffth University and James Cook University
ATAR/GPA: ATAR of 99.80
UMAT: n/a
Special Consideration: n/a
Bonded/Unbonded: Unbonded
Hi Harry99,
I was wondering to know how you got both offers for JCU and Griffth. I am in same situation. My ATAR is 99.8. I have applied through qtac. Did you apply Griffth through UAC to get both offers for JCU and Griffth. Please advise. Thanks very much

Last edited by a moderator:

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi Harry99,
I was wondering to know how you got both offers for JCU and Griffth. I am in same situation. My ATAR is 99.8. I have applied through qtac as JCU as first preference and Griffth as 2nd and 3rd preferences. Did you apply Griffth through UAC to get both offers for JCU and Griffth. Please advise. Thanks very much
He probably had Griffith first preference and JCU lower down (on QTAC) and received a courtesy call from JCU telling him he had an offer.

A1

Rookie Doc
He probably had Griffith first preference and JCU lower down (on QTAC) and received a courtesy call from JCU telling him he had an offer.

That's true, not only a call JCU also sent a Letter of Offer in the mail so a few days later some got two written offers - it plus UQ or Griffith via QTAC.

med12345

That's true, not only a call JCU also sent a Letter of Offer in the mail so a few days later some got two written offers - it plus UQ or Griffith via QTAC.
Thanks A1 and Crow. That makes sense.

Last edited:

Harry99

Hi Harry99,
I was wondering to know how you got both offers for JCU and Griffth. I am in same situation. My ATAR is 99.8. I have applied through qtac as JCU as first preference and Griffth as 2nd and 3rd preferences. Did you apply Griffth through UAC to get both offers for JCU and Griffth. Please advise. Thanks very much

Hey! Yeah I got a letter from JCU before QTAC first-offer round.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Why did you choose Griffth over JCU? What are pros and cons of both?
Hey med12345, I discussed this a little bit in another thread for UQ vs JCU, but here are some things to consider (the reasoning is pretty similar for Griffith/UQ).

You get slightly less holiday time at JCU in your pre-clinical years (and in addition must do several placements during your holiday time) whereas the breaks during the undergrad portion at Griffith are a bit longer, and you won't be required to do any placements in this time either (until you reach the MD). In saying this, Griffith recently made the change from semesters to trimesters, so you now have to study in November-December of your first year to cover all the subjects you need to, so the break time is probably only 1-2 weeks better at Griffith in the first year (but after completing undergrad you will get a bigger break of a few months before starting the MD). I personally view early placements at JCU as a bonus to give you some clinical exposure and help contextualise your learning earlier in your degree (which you wouldn't get until your third year at Griffith) but this of course depends on the person.

I'll comment on living in Townsville vs Gold Coast, but I am aware if you go to Griffith you may also study at Nathan or Sunshine Coast for your first two pre-clinical years- unfortunately I don't know enough about the latter to give you much insight sorry, but Sunshine Coast is certainly a nice place to live.

I believe cost of living is generally cheaper in Townsville compared with Gold Coast, although perhaps you are planning to live on college at JCU (?) in which case the fees will be pretty similar. If you are more accustomed to a busier, city-like lifestyle, it is easier to find this on the Gold Coast and Nathan than Townsville, which is a bit more laid back in my opinion. But you can definitely live a laid-back lifestyle on the Gold Coast also. Living on the Gold Coast (or near it) means there is plenty of things to do in your free time (beaches, the nightlife, multiple large shopping centres, close to Brisbane and Sunshine Coast etc) whereas I think you may be a bit more limited in Townsville in this regard (although I can't comment much on this, I've only been to Townsville once and don't know that much about it - I know much more about GC). If you don't own a car and need to rely on public transport, the Gold Coast is ideal with a tram line that goes straight to Griffith as well as regular buses literally everywhere. Another thing to remember is that there is a possibility you will need to move from Townsville (to Cairns/Mackay/Darwin) in the second half of your degree at JCU.

If you are interested in rural and Indigenous health of course JCU will give you an edge here - I am aware some people even say doing your med school placements in rural areas will expose you to a lot more that you won't see in metropolitan areas, although this is of course debatable. Remember, all med courses have certain criteria/content they have to cover and all will provide you with the preparation necessary to become an intern, so both Griffith and JCU will leave you much prepared in this regard (as would any med school!).

One more thing is JCU will allocate whether you receive a CSP or BMP when they make you an offer. Griffith doesn't do this - you need to compete with your classmates in your undergraduate medical science degree and those with the highest GPAs get the CSPs and those with the lowest get the BMPs. If you don't want a BMP, you need to be willing to study hard enough to outrank your classmates at Griffith (who are among the smartest and most hard working students in the country) or get a CSP from JCU.

If you have other questions (particularly about Griffith or the Gold Coast) please let me know.

Hope that helps!

med12345

Hey med12345, I discussed this a little bit in another thread for UQ vs JCU, but here are some things to consider (the reasoning is pretty similar for Griffith/UQ).

You get slightly less holiday time at JCU in your pre-clinical years (and in addition must do several placements during your holiday time) whereas the breaks during the undergrad portion at Griffith are a bit longer, and you won't be required to do any placements in this time either (until you reach the MD). In saying this, Griffith recently made the change from semesters to trimesters, so you now have to study in November-December of your first year to cover all the subjects you need to, so the break time is probably only 1-2 weeks better at Griffith in the first year (but after completing undergrad you will get a bigger break of a few months before starting the MD). I personally view early placements at JCU as a bonus to give you some clinical exposure and help contextualise your learning earlier in your degree (which you wouldn't get until your third year at Griffith) but this of course depends on the person.

I'll comment on living in Townsville vs Gold Coast, but I am aware if you go to Griffith you may also study at Nathan or Sunshine Coast for your first two pre-clinical years- unfortunately I don't know enough about the latter to give you much insight sorry, but Sunshine Coast is certainly a nice place to live.

I believe cost of living is generally cheaper in Townsville compared with Gold Coast, although perhaps you are planning to live on college at JCU (?) in which case the fees will be pretty similar. If you are more accustomed to a busier, city-like lifestyle, it is easier to find this on the Gold Coast and Nathan than Townsville, which is a bit more laid back in my opinion. But you can definitely live a laid-back lifestyle on the Gold Coast also. Living on the Gold Coast (or near it) means there is plenty of things to do in your free time (beaches, the nightlife, multiple large shopping centres, close to Brisbane and Sunshine Coast etc) whereas I think you may be a bit more limited in Townsville in this regard (although I can't comment much on this, I've only been to Townsville once and don't know that much about it - I know much more about GC). If you don't own a car and need to rely on public transport, the Gold Coast is ideal with a tram line that goes straight to Griffith as well as regular buses literally everywhere. Another thing to remember is that there is a possibility you will need to move from Townsville (to Cairns/Mackay/Darwin) in the second half of your degree at JCU.

If you are interested in rural and Indigenous health of course JCU will give you an edge here - I am aware some people even say doing your med school placements in rural areas will expose you to a lot more that you won't see in metropolitan areas, although this is of course debatable. Remember, all med courses have certain criteria/content they have to cover and all will provide you with the preparation necessary to become an intern, so both Griffith and JCU will leave you much prepared in this regard (as would any med school!).

One more thing is JCU will allocate whether you receive a CSP or BMP when they make you an offer. Griffith doesn't do this - you need to compete with your classmates in your undergraduate medical science degree and those with the highest GPAs get the CSPs and those with the lowest get the BMPs. If you don't want a BMP, you need to be willing to study hard enough to outrank your classmates at Griffith (who are among the smartest and most hard working students in the country) or get a CSP from JCU.

If you have other questions (particularly about Griffith or the Gold Coast) please let me know.

Hope that helps!
Thank you so much Crow and Harry99. Much appreciated!