Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Official Movie Discussion Thread

I know.... I want so much from this film and I feel like there's definitely an outside chance I might get it.

Absolutely loved it. Best movie of the year so far for me. McAvoy and Fassbender were amazing.

Source Code anyone? Anything with time travel related stuff gets me going, and I liked that one a lot.

Looking forward to X-Men, somehow I feel like they've managed to keep the movies fairly pure and not too blockbustery. Unlike transformers :(

Source Code anyone? Anything with time travel related stuff gets me going, and I liked that one a lot.

Looking forward to X-Men, somehow I feel like they've managed to keep the movies fairly pure and not too blockbustery. Unlike transformers :(

Source code was good :) if you like time travel are you a doctor who fan?

Who ISN'T a Dr Who fan?! (I think I liked David Tennant more than Matt smith... but smith is still good.)

The best thing about time travel movies is arguing with people about what was really going on at the end, when in reality neither of you really knows.

Who ISN'T a Dr Who fan?! (I think I liked David Tennant more than Matt smith... but smith is still good.)

The best thing about time travel movies is arguing with people about what was really going on at the end, when in reality neither of you really knows.

I miss David Tennant :( He was my favourite! Matt Smith did a great job in Season 5, but Season 6 is just not doing it for me at the moment.

To bring this back on topic, here's hoping they bring out a (well-funded) Dr Who movie with Tennant!
Sometimes the cheesiness of the low budget stuff works, but it might be nice to see an XMen style Dr Who spectacular...

I really enjoyed source code. The ending was a bit iffy. They could've ended it in a better/more dramatic way.

I really enjoyed source code. The ending was a bit iffy. They could've ended it in a better/more dramatic way.

But I felt pretty warm and fuzzy :)

Spoiler alert:
[offtopic]
Here's a question - at the end, was he now in an alternate reality, or had he succeeded in going back in time and actually changing the past? My view is that he had created an alternate plane of reality by changing what happened, and that in his old universe he still died but in the universe at the end there were actually 2 versions of him, one lying on life support and the other enjoying Michelle Monahan. Not too sure if I'm remembering it right though...[/offtopic]

Spoiler alert:
[offtopic]
Here's a question - at the end, was he now in an alternate reality, or had he succeeded in going back in time and actually changing the past? My view is that he had created an alternate plane of reality by changing what happened, and that in his old universe he still died but in the universe at the end there were actually 2 versions of him, one lying on life support and the other enjoying Michelle Monahan. Not too sure if I'm remembering it right though...[/offtopic]

[offtopic] Yeah, I reckon it was the former (what you described). Thing is, in the alternate reality would he live on in the train dude's body? Or in his normal body? I would've liked it to end just as they kissed/exploded lol Would've been different! [/offtopic]

[offtopic] Yeah, I reckon it was the former (what you described). Thing is, in the alternate reality would he live on in the train dude's body? Or in his normal body? I would've liked it to end just as they kissed/exploded lol Would've been different! [/offtopic]

[offtopic] Yeh that's what I was thinking, and she'd be saying 'so remember last week on the train when you did that funny thing' and he'd say 'uhh yeh, sure, hahaha'. And he'd find it pretty tough teaching his history classes too. Probably need to go back to the scene where they're in front of that monument and see if his reflection is his body or the train dude's.[/offtopic]

Anyone a fan of sci-fi movies here? I have recently been getting in to some of the classics all over again. 'Blade runner', '2001: A Space Odyssey', 'Alien' and 'Gattaca'. I will never grow out of them. Also, any Kubrick fans here?

huge sci-fi fan :) Love those classics :) Was watching ET the other night, it was great.

I'm not a huge Kubrick fan though

Possible spoiler alert so comment under the box (re: X-men:

[box=spoiler alert]Did anyone else almost expect Lady Gaga's born this way to start playing at some stage? Analogies with social prejudices have always been one of the most important themes in X-men, so I like how this movie kept up with the mutant and proud line. [/box]

Re xmen - was Xmen Origins Wolverine worth watching / on a par with the earlier movies?

Depends who you talk to. Reviews were very mixed. I enjoyed it and thought it was better than the original 3 X-men films but some would rather forget the entire movie altogether.

Depends who you talk to. Reviews were very mixed. I enjoyed it and thought it was better than the original 3 X-men films but some would rather forget the entire movie altogether.

Well, one week later, if you spoke to me I'd say it was probably better than the X-men films too, simply because it spent a lot more time developing characters. First Class was ok, but I was a bit disappointed to be honest, I think they got carried away with the whole US v Russia thing and didn't spend enough time exploring the characters. For a 2 hour movie I don't think it would have been too hard. Prime example being sudden 'Oh, now they want to fight on that side... hmm ok'.

For a 2 hour movie I don't think it would have been too hard. Prime example being sudden 'Oh, now they want to fight on that side... hmm ok'.

That's true, I definitely get what you're saying there. I especially felt that way about Emma Frost (White Queen), such an awesome and amazing comic book character turned completely boring. Similarly most of the younger mutants, not much there. That being said, the character development of Prof. X and Magneto was excellent, mystique as well (but to a lesser extent), I really feel like you came to understand both of those characters so much more and that they as people made so much more sense.

I actually quite liked the US vs USSR thing because it was a terrific backdrop for the plot. My favourite place for mutants to be is a position of subtle power and influence in the context of major world events.

On the topic of the X-men, apparently Fox has found someone to direct the Wolverine sequel, which, to be honest, worries rather than excites me. While I'm pretty much always keen to see more X-men films, Wolverine will be a difficult sequel to make, especially with First Class creating more complicated plot lines that can't really be messed around with too much.

Awesome movies I've seen recently that people must see:

Good Will Hunting
The Butterfly Effect
The one that flew over the cuckoos nest
It's kind of a funny story
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Hanna
Sweet November
The blind side
Flipped
Keith
Black Swan