Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Should I Continue Studying Medicine?

1. Because of the way my program is structured, I can’t just take one year off - I have to take two because some courses are only offered every other year.
    1. Before medical school started, I had recognised that I was really not in a great mental shape but didn’t end up taking the year off because of COVID/not being able to travel/might as well study if I’m to be in lockdown
    2. Insignificant but also have a bit of fear of missing out (have made some good friends in my grade in med school and would be a bit sad to see our paths diverge)
First, do what Chinaski says before you make any decisions.

From what I gather, you got into an undergrad pathway, which probably means you would take 5-6 years to graduate. Even if you take a two year gap, it would be at most 8 years in total, the same length as someone who did a bachelors with honours before getting onto a 4 year MD program which many people do. In that case, you really aren't that far behind anyone at all.

My bet is that within the next 2 years, things are going to be much more open than they are now, perhaps with additional precautions and quarantine times (but if you have two years, does a 2 week quarantine matter?).

Hey MT,

Just another voice chiming in with more or less the same response. It's not fair on yourself to try to make decisions about long term training/career directions when your physical/mental health is compromised. No one feels optimistic, motivated, or capable when they're in that position.

The types of feelings you have described are common, but they're not normal, and it's important to get help.

One (or two) years to give yourself an opportunity to focus on your wellbeing is nothing in the grand scheme of things. People have all sorts of delays in their training/careers for all sorts of reasons (children, relationship breakdowns, illness, ageing relatives). If in that time you realise there's something other than medicine that feels fulfilling and satisfying - great. If you end up feeling so much better in yourself that you wonder why you took the time off - also great.

Most people go into medicine with the intention of giving their best selves to the job, and their patients. You'll give yourself the chance to do this by taking time for yourself first. And if during that time you decide medicine isn't right for you, you'll be in a better place to take on whatever other direction you pursue; however I think it's quite possible you'll realise medicine feels a very different beast when you're well.

I can see that many people are suggesting take one or two years off to regroup and refocus but is that even realistic for some med programs? Do many unis offer concessions for such "gap" years?

I can see that many people are suggesting take one or two years off to regroup and refocus but is that even realistic for some med programs? Do many unis offer concessions for such "gap" years?
Yes, I believe this generally is quite accessible. My uni allows for two ‘gap’ years for any reason, mid-degree, and will negotiate further for health/mental health reasons if necessary.

I know this thread has been going on for quite a while, but I thought I'd chime in for those that come across it in 23810.124 years time and find it potentially helpful.

One value I live by is my "window shopping" mantra;
If I walk by something and immediately want it, I'll wait because doing something on impulse isn't always the best idea and I might not enjoy it at much. If I walk by it again and again and then I still want it, then I'll value and enjoy it more than something gotten out of impulse.
I have always had a general interest in health (dent/med/psych) for as long as I can remember. I came to a crossroads in my final years of high school/early 20's and almost impulsively took a creative career pathway, ultimately becoming a classroom music teacher and teaching both high school and primary. Whilst I enjoy being a music teacher, I would like to learn about health topics like surgical procedures, pathology, up and coming breakthroughs in medical science, etc (mostly wiki scrolling). Whenever I would think about gear-shifting careers, I tried to put things into perspective as I am privileged to have a good paying stable job doing music, especially the interactions I'd have with the kids as they learn. With that said, I would still have these thoughts in the back of my mind to pursue dentistry, with med and clinical psych being backups (yes, we're order and weird gear shift from music teacher). I likened my thoughts to my "window shopping" mantra and decided it is something that I need to following as I would continue to have my interest piqued.

At the age of 30, my girlfriend was studying medicine. I would look at her textbooks and topics, often accidentally learning things whilst helping her study/flicking through her books. At 31, I decided to pursue dentistry by studying an undergrad for a good GPA. Since then, I have had numerous life hurdles and situations that could be likened to a black comedy. Each time I get knocked back during offer rounds or get a poor entry score that limits my application for the year, I get disappointed but the drive is still there to go for dentistry. I am currently 34 (nearly 35) and I will keep trying to get into dent until I hit a brick wall, at which point I will consider med or clinical psych pathways.

Long story short, if you are fighting your mind to stay in whatever it is that you're currently doing, or you have something that keeps calling out to you, feel free to use my "window shopping" mantra and it may help you make a more decision that has long-term satisfaction.

Hope that my post makes sense and helps whoever is reading this :)

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Back