Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Working Conditions as a Doctor

Since largely outside the state's hospital system I'm curious who will be paying the wages for the GPs-in-training?

GP registrars are paid a wage which comes from the training provider who pays the practce. Almost all of the time you would bill medicare but you will also do private work (not covered under Medicare) such as employment medicals, Workcover etc. which then you would bill the company or insurer.
If you bill more than your wage (Which is set by the level of training you are at) then you have essentially paid yourself through your billings so the training provider does not have to pay the practice anything apart from teaching/supervision payments. As the registrar you will then be paid a percentage of your billings instead which means you will get a bonus on top of your wage. That being said the percentage for a registrar starts at only approimately 45% compared to a fellowed GP which is about 70%. I also learnt the hard way of learning to negotiate because for the first 2 terms I was paid 45% compared to now which I am on 60% (This is about a $15k difference in a year.) So if you bill less than your wage the training provider will cough up the difference to the practice.

Reactions: A1

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Back