Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

2019 Entry Interview Invites - Collated

MrWhippe

Just for the sake of statistics - I got nothing from JMP but an offer for Curtin.
Jesus, such incredible scores and no offer to JMP. That's very intimidating for me, as a 2020 JMP hopeful!

Do you think your interview and MMI let you down?

Congratulations on Curtin!

A1

Admissions Speculator
Did you end up getting an offer? Were you already studying at Curtin?
green_eyed_girl had posted up her interview invites earlier. When she posted in January "for the sake of statistics" high chances that was a place offer from Curtin. She's from NSW so was not already studying at Curtin and would have had to apply with a completed degree.

Crow

Moderator Band
Gday,
I have noticed the interview invites on here for last year from JMP had either a high ATAR or high UMAT or both.( eg: UMAT 72 % ATAR 99.0)
My question if, if JMP are solely basing the interview invites off of UCAT scores this year, will the percentile requirement (threshold) be higher? like 85% +.
I know that's hard to say without application numbers, but I guess you can average it.
ATAR has no influence on JMP interview invites - if there were lots of scores with high ATARs, that would merely be coincidence / the fact that most medicine applicants have ATARs on the upper end of the scale. Invites were purely based on S1 score in UMAT last year, which meant that those with relatively low overall UMAT scores (e.g. overall 72%ile) but high S1 scores received interviews.

This year it will be the aggregate score of S1-4 in UCAT that will determine interview invites. I'd estimate that maybe a slightly higher percentile than the UMAT S1 %ile required last year would be this year's cutoff point (because we've presumably lost the 50/50/50 rule from last year that used to weed out some of the applicants) but that's purely my guess and I don't have anything scientific to back that up.

Puddleclaw

Is the Monash bias against interstate candidates for interview spots as dramatic as people say/the offers on page 1 show? Any chance for a 98 ATAR / 98% UCAT from WA?

A1

Admissions Speculator
Is the Monash bias against interstate candidates for interview spots as dramatic as people say/the offers on page 1 show? Any chance for a 98 ATAR / 98% UCAT from WA?
Yes it is dramatic, you can see in this post > Med Place Offers 2017 (Offers Only - All Unis)

The benchmark that year was 99.0 / 90%ile (or equivalent combo like 99.1/89th, 99.2/88th etc) to get an interview. That applicant with 99.9/89th got UNSW but not Monash, whereas we have seen Vic students getting interviews with 99.25/89th & 99.95/80th.

I think 98%ile UCAT interstate will need at least high 98s ATAR.

hahahahaxd

Yes it is dramatic, you can see in this post > Med Place Offers 2017 (Offers Only - All Unis)

The benchmark that year was 99.0 / 90%ile (or equivalent combo like 99.1/89th, 99.2/88th etc) to get an interview. That applicant with 99.9/89th got UNSW but not Monash, whereas we have seen Vic students getting interviews with 99.25/89th & 99.95/80th.

I think 98%ile UCAT interstate will need at least high 98s ATAR.
As an FYI I applied to Monash last year with 98.90 Atar & 97% umat and didn't get an interview so you're looking at even higher than that

A1

Admissions Speculator
Hi for Charles Sturt dentistry, what exactly is a ‘top up interview offer’? thank you in advance!
The school sets for then selects "x" number of applicants to interview. When interview bookings close there may be several empty slots from applicants changing their mind or unable to afford the travel costs. These are then offered to the next-in-line applicants to top up.