Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

2021 MSO Awards!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
VOTING OPEN!!

Welcome to the annual MSO Awards! We’ve had another awesome year and now is your opportunity to recognise some of the excellent contributions.
534349_a47b1.gif
534349_a47b1.gif
534349_a47b1.gif
Some major events from this year include:
  • Long-term site member acbard9 bit the bullet and gave Med entry another shot, receiving his offer to UoA last week :clap:
  • dotwingz joined the moderation team, and Crow re-joined the moderation team :yay:
  • isuru and _brooke welcomed baby number 2, a little girl, into the world! 🥰
As usual, we would like to pay recognition to those that have made MSO what it is, and specifically for the contributions made in 2021. So, please post your nominations for the categories below:
  • The Silver Fern (most helpful NZ-based member)
  • The Boxing Kangaroo (most helpful Aus-based member)
  • Global Sensation (most helpful International student)
  • The Sweet Tooth (most helpful Dent student)
  • RM Williams Award (most helpful Med student)
  • Everest (article/thread of the year)
  • The Star Picket (post of the year)
  • The Humerus (meme or memer of the year)
  • Top Hat Award (Hatboxer of the year)
  • The Embryo Award (Newbie of the Year)
  • MedStudentsOnline's Person of the Year (MSO allrounder)
Regardless of when you joined the site, we would really love for you to post your nominations. If you only want to post nominations for some and not all of the categories, that is completely fine too!

While the active staff members thoroughly appreciate your recognition of our efforts, we have enough mugs between us to hold a VERY large, masked-up and socially distanced tea party, so we are again requesting that you please only vote for non-staff members in the main votes. As an addition this year, we encourage you to include a “special mentions” section at the bottom of your post where you can recognise anything/anyone you deem to have made noteworthy contributions that you didn’t include in your main post - feel free to recognise staff members and others here!

Thanks to MSO admins isuru and LMG! winners will receive an MSO mug or pen and have their username recorded in the MSO Awards Hall of Fame. MSO Hall of Fame: Annual Awards Winners

Winners will be announced early in the new year! Like most things at the moment, there has been a delay with the release of this post, so we will likely leave the voting open until mid-January.

ETA: what's transpiring below is a bit of a hot mess for which I am almost entirely responsible (I maintain that Deboza shares some of the load, however, for reappearing this year after an extended break!), but I have zero regrets! :D
Sherlock, this is what happens when you leave it to me!

Last edited:
I will kick things off... :D

• The Silver Fern: Bootleg for their continued commitment to helping out the NZ side of the forum
  • The Boxing Kangaroo: Caffeine for their help over the latter part of this year answering forum questions, thank you!!
  • Global Sensation: We've not really had any regular International students at MSO this year, understandably given the year it has been. Hopefully the influx of new students for 2022 will mean an increase in activity here, too!
  • The Sweet Tooth: Unluckydude thank you again for your invaluable contribution
  • RM Williams Award: Bootleg sincere thanks once again :)
  • Everest: frootloop Transgender healthcare, being trans in healthcare
  • The Star Picket: acbard9 UoA Graduate Category Chat/Enquiry
  • The Humerus: Meme of the year is definitely CSU Dent. I absolutely acknowledge it's not in the slightest bit funny for those involved, but honestly... honestly??! It surely can't be that hard... Closely followed by Cathay's Mum, as per usual :D
  • Top Hat Award: biom for upgrading some of his material this year ;) and Deboza (don't just up and leave us now, kthnx LOL you're obviously going no where!!)
  • The Embryo Award: Nonstandard983 for actually creating their account this year and not, er... 10 years ago :D (whoops)
  • MedStudentsOnline's Person of the Year: Nonstandard983 for hatboxing and foruming with aplomb!

Last edited:
Nominations
  • The Silver Fern (most helpful NZ-based member) Bootleg
  • The Boxing Kangaroo (most helpful Aus-based member) Caffeine
  • The Sweet Tooth (most helpful Dent student) Unluckydude
  • RM Williams Award (most helpful Med student) Bootleg
  • The Humerus (meme or memer of the year) flynnscrivo72
  • Top Hat Award (Hatboxer of the year) biom
  • The Embryo Award (Newbie of the Year) eileithyia (MSO Discord good vibes)
  • MedStudentsOnline's Person of the Year (MSO allrounder) Deboza
Special Mentions

Last edited:
Nominations

• The Boxing Kangaroo (most helpful Aus-based member): Caffeine
  • Everest (article/thread of the year): Transgender healthcare, being trans in healthcare (Encourage everyone to have a read)
  • The Humerus (meme or memer of the year): I second that CSU dent is a meme at this point I have no clue how you can muck things up that badly lol
  • Top Hat Award (Hatboxer of the year): biom
  • The Embryo Award (Newbie of the Year): Deboza

Special Mentions
I am very thankful to chinaski who has spent their time in chat-box and on several threads talking about the realities of practicing medicine in the real world this has been super informative and I'm sure I am not the only one we all thank you for this!

Last edited:
Shout outs go to acbard9 for getting into medicine and LMG! and dotwingz for managing the lion's share of the moderation duties :)

Shout outs go to acbard9 for getting into medicine and LMG! and dotwingz for managing the lion's share of the moderation duties :)
Am I really an embryo haha. Ive been here for close to 10 years aha

Nominations
Special Mentions
Oh you just made my day!!! You have the best vibes too!!!!!! :yay:

• (I like that we're all overlooking the 2012 sign up date ;) )
I literally didn't know this. What took you so long, dude??!

When was your first post date deboza?
I'm gonna check this and make a decision re. eligibility!

ETA: Okay, so Deboza has actually got a fairly extensive posting history. WHOOPS! My bad! I will edit my votes accordingly.

Nominations
Special Mentions
LESSSS GOOOOOOO memer of the year that is indeed poggers sir, i am humbled

• Love
Reactions: 2xq
LMG:

LMG, not even 30 minutes later:

:p
I mean, I COMPLETELY agree, so I'm not complaining!
Yeah look, this one was totally deliberate (and a bit strategic*), ngl :D I changed the wording slightly to cover my butt!

*I don't think we have quite enough mugs left to cover the prizes so I need someone to win that won't actually want another one, lololol.

Last edited:

Haven't been too active at all this year, so I'm only nominating for the categories I know well enough!
  • The Boxing Kangaroo (most helpful Aus-based member): ucatboy
  • Everest (article/thread of the year): Transgender healthcare, being trans in healthcare
  • RM Williams Award (most helpful Med student): LMG! - always online and willing to answer any question
  • Top Hat Award (Hatboxer of the year): chinaski - I swear whenever I randomly visited MSO and lurked in the hatbox, it was 80% conversations between chinaski and @LMG discussing the next TV show to watch
  • MedStudentsOnline's Person of the Year (MSO allrounder): Deboza
A special mention of course goes to Crow for evolving into the Schrodinger of MSO, simultaneously switching between his two states of Emeritus and Moderator in the shadows. Only when he was gone, did we realise what great service MSO was missing :)) And to 2xq for their wonderful assistance in providing students with alternative options to Medicine and how a low UCAT is not the be-all and end-all.

Wishing you all a happy 2022 and beyond! 🥰

ps; I still haven't received my mso mug from last year despite messaging the Mana gods with my address wayyyy back - totally understand how busy everyone is so if anyone can add a pager to fax it to me before the end of 2024 that'd be sweet - it looks firee <333 otherwise I can cry my mug-less self to sleep that's okay too 🥺🥺

Back