Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UCAT: Abstract Reasoning

kabir1803

I'm struggling the most in this section. Shapes just make zero sense to me. Would appreciate some tips for AR! Thank you!
Personally, I was in your shoes around this time last year. I watched ALOT of youtube videos which allowed me to see the process to actually get the pattern. I would recommend Emil Eddy and KharmaMedic mainly for this on youtube. Also do a lot of questions but do them untimed in the start to get accuracy first. Speed will follow. Bets of luck ;)

A1

Rookie Doc
Can anyone please explain what it means by 'L shape that is 2 layers thick'?
Two layers thick means one L on top of another L.
A 5x5 L shape needs 9 small squares (blocks?). Two layers = 18 blocks. But there are only 16 blocks in each group so not possible.

(You didn't show the question so I don't get why it gives six groups of 16 blocks in each set).

Two layers thick means one L on top of another L.
A 5x5 L shape needs 9 small squares (blocks?). Two layers = 18 blocks. But there are only 16 blocks in each group so not possible.

(You didn't show the question so I don't get why it gives six groups of 16 blocks in each set).
if you count the little blocks for each pattern in B they equal 16
which makes me even more confused... i really want to understand this pattern as it is an official AR question

A1

Rookie Doc
if you count the little blocks for each pattern in B they equal 16
which makes me even more confused... i really want to understand this pattern as it is an official AR question
I need to see the question itself to understand fully. You only posted the Answer Rationale.

By the look of it, I don't think it's intended you figure out mentally how to fit the B blocks around. The quick trick is in knowing 5x5 L shape two layers requires 18 blocks while you're given only 16. Thus "Set B" statement is not possible.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I agree with A1. If you take the time, you can rotate the blocks in each of set A to make the 4x4 shape but you can’t do that with the configurations in Set B despite there being the same amount of total blocks. That would be the ‘long’ way to do the question. But rapidly calculating that 4x4 = 16, but 9+9 = 18 means you can rule out B without taking that time.

Reactions: A1
Hello, could someone help me with this question from the official questions. What does the part that I highlighted mean? Won't you always get back the same number that you subtracted from the largest number if you do these steps? Thank you so much
1690211132830.png

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads