Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

What We Know So Far About UCAT

L

Logic

As you may have heard, in 2019 there will be no UMAT examination for entry into health courses such as Medicine and Dentistry. Instead, this is being replaced by an exam known as UCAT. This is said to be identical in format to the UKCAT (used in the UK). I thought I would write up a quick summary of the information on the exam.

Preparation Material (Free) can be found at: Preparation | UCAT Consortium
Section 1 and 3 from UMAT also appear to make some appearances in different forms and so those could also be used. Here are MSO's very own: MSO's UMAT Questions
As this appears to be identical to the UKCAT, I assume that most preparation for UKCAT could be used for UCAT.

Important Dates: Note that you must both register for an online account AND book a test

March 1 2019- Registration and booking will open

16 May 2019 5PM AEST- Registration closes

17 May 2019 5PM AEST- Booking closes

1-31 July 2019- Testing occurs

Booking a date will be very useful as it can now be done within school holidays (instead of just before exams like in NSW).

The exam will be computer based (and taken at a test centre) taking place over two hours and will be divided in to 5 sections that are SEPERATELY timed i.e. each section will be undertaken individually and it will not be mixed as in UMAT.

The 5 Sections are:

1. Verbal Reasoning

2. Decision Making

3. Quantitative Reasoning

4. Abstract Reasoning

5. Situational Judgement

Verbal Reasoning: Appears to be similar to section 1 of UMAT, at least in principal. Involves reading information in passages and then being required to draw conclusions. 21 minutes for 44 questions.

Decision Making: Questions that involve you applying logic in order to make conclusions. Also appears to involve analysing statistics. 29 Questions in 31 Minutes.

Quantitative Reasoning: Involves the use of numerical skill to solve problems. Large focus on the use of mathematics for problem solving as opposed to complicated mathematics. An on-screen calculator will be provided. 36 Questions in 24 minutes.

Abstract Reasoning: Appears to be similar to section 3, involving shapes and the identification of patterns within them. There are 4 questions types. 55 questions in 13 minutes. For information about question types: Abstract Reasoning | UCAT Consortium

Situational Judgement: Given scenarios that put you in to a certain “situation” and subsequent questions regarding the “appropriate” behaviour or action for that situation. 69 questions, 22 scenarios, 26 minutes.

The following universities will require you to undertake the UCAT for entry into their Medicine (edited by LMG! and presumably, where applicable, Dentistry) courses:

· The University of Adelaide

· Curtin University

· Monash University

· Joint Medical Program

· The University of New South Wales

· The University of Queensland

· University of Tasmania

· The University of Western Australia

· Western Sydney University

· The University of Auckland

· The University of Otago

Speculation: (not confirmed yet but are either suspected or have been said to occur in the UK version):

1. According to an MSO user who undertook the UKCAT (UK version), they were provided with the results straight after they walked out of the exam hall and could get a print out. Confirmation required that this is what will happen in the Australian version.

2. It has been said that in the UK version, a whiteboard is also provided for you to make notes on. Whether this will occur in Australia has not been confirmed (although is quite likely).

Please note that this is a summary, and if you want more detailed information refer to: Admissions Testing for UK Health Professions | UCAT Consortium

As more information is revealed about the test, more info will be added. If I have missed any important points, add them below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's one important point that people might want to know:

The company responsible for administering the test is Pearson Vue.

For those not familiar with this company, this is the one that earlier this year ruined the BPT examinations leading to huge logistic issues in hospitals as well as people having to cancel leave, holidays, etc. and then having to resit the examination again (meaning people had to cover the studying BPTs again).

Here's a mainstream media article that talks about it further Company behind botched medical exam has track record of failure

Pearson Vue's reputation is not isolated to the RACP debacle this year. Dig into the internet for any number of other problems.

Um, yes, that's exactly what the article linked talks about - the horrible track record in question.

Yep, go further than the article and there's quite a rabbit hole there. Caveat to the RACP story is that the external review of the matter is still in progress. Much of the blame may still fall onto the college for the ultimate outcome of that day.

Thank
As you may have heard, in 2019 there will be no UMAT examination for entry into health courses such as Medicine and Dentistry. Instead, this is being replaced by an exam known as UCAT. This is said to be identical in format to the UKCAT (used in the UK). I thought I would write up a quick summary of the information on the exam.

Preparation Material (Free) can be found at: Preparation | UCAT Consortium
Section 1 and 3 from UMAT also appear to make some appearances in different forms and so those could also be used. Here are MSO's very own: MSO's UMAT Questions
As this appears to be identical to the UKCAT, I assume that most preparation for UKCAT could be used for UCAT.

Important Dates: Note that you must both register for an online account AND book a test

March 1 2019- Registration and booking will open

16 May 2019 5PM AEST- Registration closes

17 May 2019 5PM AEST- Booking closes

1-31 July 2019- Testing occurs

Booking a date will be very useful as it can now be done within school holidays (instead of just before exams like in NSW).

The exam will be computer based (and taken at a test centre) taking place over two hours and will be divided in to 5 sections that are SEPERATELY timed i.e. each section will be undertaken individually and it will not be mixed as in UMAT.

The 5 Sections are:

1. Verbal Reasoning

2. Decision Making

3. Quantitative Reasoning

4. Abstract Reasoning

5. Situational Judgement

Verbal Reasoning: Appears to be similar to section 1 of UMAT, at least in principal. Involves reading information in passages and then being required to draw conclusions. 21 minutes for 44 questions.

Decision Making: Questions that involve you applying logic in order to make conclusions. Also appears to involve analysing statistics. 29 Questions in 31 Minutes.

Quantitative Reasoning: Involves the use of numerical skill to solve problems. Large focus on the use of mathematics for problem solving as opposed to complicated mathematics. An on-screen calculator will be provided. 36 Questions in 24 minutes.

Abstract Reasoning: Appears to be similar to section 3, involving shapes and the identification of patterns within them. There are 4 questions types. 55 questions in 13 minutes. For information about question types: Abstract Reasoning | UCAT Consortium

Situational Judgement: Given scenarios that put you in to a certain “situation” and subsequent questions regarding the “appropriate” behaviour or action for that situation. 69 questions, 22 scenarios, 26 minutes.

The following universities will require you to undertake the UCAT for entry into their Medicine (edited by LMG! and presumably, where applicable, Dentistry) courses:

· The University of Adelaide

· Curtin University

· Monash University

· Joint Medical Program

· The University of New South Wales

· The University of Queensland

· University of Tasmania

· The University of Western Australia

· Western Sydney University

· The University of Auckland

· The University of Otago

Speculation: (not confirmed yet but are either suspected or have been said to occur in the UK version):

1. According to an MSO user who undertook the UKCAT (UK version), they were provided with the results straight after they walked out of the exam hall and could get a print out. Confirmation required that this is what will happen in the Australian version.

2. It has been said that in the UK version, a whiteboard is also provided for you to make notes on. Whether this will occur in Australia has not been confirmed (although is quite likely).

Please note that this is a summary, and if you want more detailed information refer to: Admissions Testing for UK Health Professions | UCAT Consortium

As more information is revealed about the test, more info will be added. If I have missed any important points, add them below!
you for the information .

Just wondering if any of the unis like JMP who used only S1 in Umat or WSU that used S1+S2...is it know if they will focus on a particular section or the whole UCAT...

Thank

you for the information .

Just wondering if any of the unis like JMP who used only S1 in Umat or WSU that used S1+S2...is it know if they will focus on a particular section or the whole UCAT...
The unis are yet to release any information on their 2020 entry admissions criteria and how they will use the UCAT scores. By the sounds, they are yet to be fully informed how the UCAT is scored themselves.

ETA: From the UQ website
If you're applying for 2020 admission or later, please note that no information has been released yet about how the UCAT is scored.

Last edited:
The unis are yet to release any information on their 2020 entry admissions criteria and how they will use the UCAT scores. By the sounds, they are yet to be fully informed how the UCAT is scored themselves.

thanks crow! just trying to prepare myself to try again!

Not sure if it helps, but I asked JMP about details and they said this to me:
If you wish to apply for entry 2020 the information will be available on the website in late January / early February. Please note the change to the UCAT rather than UMAT.

What We Know So Far About UCAT https://www.ucatofficial.com/media/1277/ucat-anz-presentation-2019-v5.pptx

This is from the website. Results available on the day of your test. Somewhere else on the website it says as u leave the venue, u will be given instructions on how to view ur results

Is anyone else in a situation where they have to sit the test overseas?
Or anyone who sat the UMAT overseas?
I am on my gap year intending to be a camp counsellor at a summer camp in America or Canada but obviously I need to apply before certain deadlines so I can actually get a place in the camps, but don't want to miss the UCAT... I emailed UCAT-ANZ around the new year and their reply basically just contradicted the website...

"Thank you for your email. The UCAT ANZ website will be updated with detailed information in late January about sitting UCAT ANZ at an overseas test centre. There is some flexibility with overseas centres and candidates should refer to the information on the website when it is updated and follow the instructions given there to arrange an overseas centre with our office. The cost to sit at an overseas test centre is AUD $373.

Kind regards

The UCAT Team
AUSTRALIA and NEW ZEALAND"​

Does anyone know of a specific contact person who I could pursue this with? Any suggestions or help would be amazing as time is running out for me to apply for camp!

Thanks in advance!

Do you mind clarifying what part of their website they contradicted?
Overseas
From the website: 'Candidates who will be overseas for the month of July 2019 should contact the UCAT ANZ office by email to organise a suitable venue to sit the test. Sitting the test overseas will incur an additional administrative fee.'

So 'contradicted' was probably a bit of a strong word ahaha but hopefully it makes sense

Overseas
From the website: 'Candidates who will be overseas for the month of July 2019 should contact the UCAT ANZ office by email to organise a suitable venue to sit the test. Sitting the test overseas will incur an additional administrative fee.'

So 'contradicted' was probably a bit of a strong word ahaha but hopefully it makes sense
Ah right. I don’t think you’ll achieve much by trying to contact someone again right now - probably best to wait until February and assuming they still haven’t updated the website at all, then you can try again.

Ah right. I don’t think you’ll achieve much by trying to contact someone again right now - probably best to wait until February and assuming they still haven’t updated the website at all, then you can try again.
Thanks Crow!! Good advice (and I think I should be a bit more patient :p !)

Does anyone know what's going on with Pearson Vue? UCAT registration should open today but it says the sign-up feature is blocked on their website.

Does anyone know what's going on with Pearson Vue? UCAT registration should open today but it says the sign-up feature is blocked on their website.

They should be open by now! Opened late afternoon today (when they initially said 9-9.30am)

I like that UKCAT is now renamed to UCAT so there is no confusion, will the test be identical too in both countries? I wonder if they will also do GAMSAT from next year? Or ACER still got that?

Back