Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Article: Prepare ME!

[MENTION=998]Season[/MENTION] Great thread but i have a question, Is it appropiate in the section where they go Tell us about yourself to discuss about where you grew up and where you come from etc?

@Season Great thread but i have a question, Is it appropiate in the section where they go Tell us about yourself to discuss about where you grew up and where you come from etc?

You can talk about whatever you think is important to you, "tell us about yourself" means exactly that. It's used as an ice breaker and as a way of getting to know you as a person rather than just a numbered candidate. I'd use it to personalise yourself to the panel.

I agree with Hav, the interview needs to be personalized and that's a key aspect. That question is pretty much a given to help with that. But rarely do I ever hear of it ever coming up. Usually you will have to integrate your personality in a more subtle way (which is harder)

hey guys I have a couple of questions about the interviews if anyone has time to answer them...
- How should I approach a scenario based question? (I'm really hopeless at this and the best I could muster up is a few disjointed points)
- When answering a question, should I say everything that I can come up with or hold back until/if they ask follow up questions?

Break the scenario down into elements, figure out what different issues are in the scenario and tackle them separately and individually. Recognise which of those points are connected, state the connection and why its important. Then describe how you would approach these issues and discuss.

You can say everything that comes up if you want and I feel this is a good approach though you need to keep it succinct, if you've covered points in the follow up then it won't be asked.

Hav said my favourite approach. Its good because if you take this approach you can talk through the scenario figuring it out as you go along. While it sounding somewhat structured.

[MENTION=11769]graham[/MENTION]. AGree with the others. The issues here are a, b and c and what we need to consider is....etc

Maybe go to the Interview Question Time thread and just have a go at answering a few.

You'll get more personal and specific advice.

You're unlikely to produce anything too dreadful (but some of us - ie me - have produced some shockers on our first attempts) and even if you do we'll come along and tell you where it's going wrong.

[MENTION=12298]Nightshroud[/MENTION]: probably quite difficult to, since few people talk in dot points, and they aren't going to give you time to present a powerpoint presentation. I think if you tape record yourself answering a practice question, I imagine you'd find you didn't talk in dot points.

Again. Just answer the questions, no essays, no presentations. Just ​answer the question. You can list things if you want but you're having a conversation, that's what interviewing is.

Thanks for the advice guys!
[MENTION=8866]Dr Worm[/MENTION] yeah I will have a go at the Interview Questions Time and see how I perform :)

When you were preparing for your interview, did you feel like you were giving a speech?

It shouldn't. It should be more like a discussion, though the pressure to perform and get out all your info in the time allowed may make you feel like give a speech

When you were preparing for your interview, did you feel like you were giving a speech?

So know if they asked you about leadership, an anecdote or two in your mind. Don't memorise the anecdote, but its in the edge of your mind. Try to keep the anecdote short so that it doesn't feel like a speech.

I think sound rehearsed is frowned upon here, because the interview isn't about seeing how well you've prepared, it's more about you as a person and your ability to communicate effectively and think quickly and organise ideas into a logical progression in a situation where you're put on the spot and under pressure because you know you're being judged.

Back