Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Common pitfalls to avoid for year 12 school leavers and other medicine applicants

Cal

Will You. Review. Mah Mixtape 😤😤
Valued Member
Hey guys, a friend of mine who hasn't gotten the best of ATARs but is a med hopeful was wondering what her options might be. She was thinking of med sci possibly at WSU because the course is easier at WSU and so a 6+ GPA wouldnt be too hard, and, once she graduates, if she is unable to get into medicine she has said that she is open to do a 2 year MPharm degree at USYD.

Another thing she said is that she could do BScience at USYD, get a good GPA and again, if unsuccessful, do a 2 year MPharm.

Thoughts and opinions?
Don't do a course because it is easy; do it because it seems interesting to you. You are more likely to study hard for something interesting; albeit more difficult. a 6gpa is possible in all courses if you put in the work.

Don't do a course because it is easy; do it because it seems interesting to you. You are more likely to study hard for something interesting; albeit more difficult. a 6gpa is possible in all courses if you put in the work.
Most definitely agree. She finds Med Sci or BSci to be "good pre-cursors" into an eventual career in the healthcare field whether that be Pharmacy or Medicine. She has to resit the UCAT next year so Med Sci or BSci would be "easier" for her to balance her study and not risk hindering her GPA.

Sherlock

Staff
Hey guys, a friend of mine who hasn't gotten the best of ATARs but is a med hopeful was wondering what her options might be. She was thinking of med sci possibly at WSU because the course is easier at WSU and so a 6+ GPA wouldnt be too hard, and, once she graduates, if she is unable to get into medicine she has said that she is open to do a 2 year MPharm degree at USYD.

Another thing she said is that she could do BScience at USYD, get a good GPA and again, if unsuccessful, do a 2 year MPharm.

Thoughts and opinions?
Did you get her to read this thread first? Not much else can be said about why one shouldn’t do medsci or similar than what’s already written here.

why not just do pharmacy if she eventually wants to do MPharm?

Did you get her to read this thread first? Not much else can be said about why one shouldn’t do medsci or similar than what’s already written here.

why not just do pharmacy if she eventually wants to do MPharm?
Yeah she has, her thing is this: sure Med Sci has no job prospects, but if worse comes to worst, I can do a 2 year MPharm and be a pharmacist in 5 years (I know 1 year internship).

Her reasoning for not doing BPharm is that she must do 4 years as opposed to 3 years of Med Sci, so, if she eventually does get into medicine, she can start working a year earlier. And if she doesn't then 2 years of MPharm won't hurt.

Cal

Valued Member
Yeah she has, her thing is this: sure Med Sci has no job prospects, but if worse comes to worst, I can do a 2 year MPharm and be a pharmacist in 5 years (I know 1 year internship).

Her reasoning for not doing BPharm is that she must do 4 years as opposed to 3 years of Med Sci, so, if she eventually does get into medicine, she can start working a year earlier. And if she doesn't then 2 years of MPharm won't hurt.
Some uni's offer a degree where you can do a BPharm; but you can leave a year early and get a separate degree. (UQ does this at least)

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
That doesn’t really add up; she wants to start working as a doctor a year earlier but her current path (if she doesn’t get into medicine which is the most likely outcome for any medicine applicant) will see her start working as a pharmacist a year later than she could.

As for the degree being “easier” at WSU, I’m interested to hear how she reached that conclusion and what uni(s) she’s comparing WSU with.

Cal

Valued Member
Yeah shes from Sydney and is trying to stay local :)
yeah; but if she has a look into the degrees that are offered in her area she might find another one does the same. Then that would fix the problem that exists.

Georgian

I am a student who finished their science degree recently & has had internship placements every summer since 2017 at a certain company related to hearing. If I was to go back to the moment I got my ATAR, I would apply for nursing or audiology.

Nursing
I began thinking of nursing at the beginning of this year because of some experiences I’ve had. These experiences include being at hospital for family + volunteering at my local hospital for 6 months. I feel like nursing covers so many of the reasons that I want to do medicine. The reason I didn’t initially do nursing was because I didn’t know much about it and thought that it wouldn’t allow me to have the sort of impact I want on the community I live in. That was totally wrong. I’m not a nurse so I’d highly suggest speaking to a person that’s a nurse so that they can tell you more about what they think of it. To get in touch with a nurse, you can ask someone in your family that may be a nurse OR you could get some volunteer hospital experience & speak to nurses while you’re there. I wouldn’t recommend showing up to a hospital to speak to a nurse about nursing because they’re very busy!

Audiology
Being an audiologist sounded very rewarding to me due to my internship at the ‘hearing company’. You become completely immersed into the lives of families and work very closely with people for a long time. When working with cochlear implant (an implant that helps those with profound or congenital deafness/extreme hearing loss hear again) recipients, you are their gatekeeper to good hearing for life really. You adjust the sounds that the implant picks up, adjust the mapping of sounds so that the recipient can better enjoy music they used to love/have grown to love and now they even have an app where you can set the implant into different modes e.g. ignore all sounds coming from behind the recipient or even directly stream movies straight into your ear so that you can listen at full sound without disturbing anyone - how cool is that!? Helping someone get their sense of hearing back is so awesome (from the understanding I’ve gained working at the company) and this market is honestly so under-penetrated. In Australia, 5% of people who can benefit from a cochlear implant actually get one. The other 95% (for the most part) don’t know they even exist! So much exciting potential in audiology in my opinion. As with nursing, I highly suggest getting into touch with an audiologist OR even visiting macquarie uni (they’ve got info week on now & they have an audiology degree which they offer!). You could also call into an audiology clinic & see if the audiologist has time to speak to you :)

The meeting
With the meeting with the audiologist/nurse (if these careers seem cool to you), it’s important to know what to talk about. You should first brainstorm what your values are - choose 5 from the picture below:
View attachment 3085
See if the audiologist/nurse thinks that those values fit the career they’re doing. Think to yourself if you think your top 5 values fit with your understanding of the career too. Then ask questions on things you can’t easily find online. For example, you could ask something like “What were your expectations of a career in audiology going in and how have those expectations been challenged now that you’ve been an audiologist for 5 years?”.

This meeting can really be done with any other profession you might find interesting - engineering/teaching/law etc. I highly recommend doing it. How better to learn about a profession you have no experience in than asking someone who has actually lived it for X amount of years? I’ve personally done a meeting like this just last month with a lecturer at Usyd to learn more about teaching :).

if you have any questions let me know. It can be very demotivating getting a rejection/not getting the scores you want but if you have the right attitude (I see you do since you’re looking for alternatives based on reading what Mana has written), you can turn negatives in your life into positives :). I have no regrets & am glad that I’ve been rejected 3 times in Med school applications because I have done some AMAZING things in my life that I probably would’ve missed should I have gotten in the first couple of goes. Reading that last sentence may not mean much to you right now but if you keep up a positive attitude & look to turn whatever life throws at you into a positive then you’ll know exactly what that sentence means in a years time :).

good luck & much love from me ❤
sorry for the delayed response, but thank you so so much for your input! I'm not too sure about nursing, but i've never considered audiology before and it sounds pretty interesting. I think I definitely might have a look into that option :) Thank you so much again, this advice really made me feel a lot better after that god awful atar

That doesn’t really add up; she wants to start working as a doctor a year earlier but her current path (if she doesn’t get into medicine which is the most likely outcome for any medicine applicant) will see her start working as a pharmacist a year later than she could.

As for the degree being “easier” at WSU, I’m interested to hear how she reached that conclusion and what uni(s) she’s comparing WSU with.
See her ultimate goal is medicine, if she can start working a year earlier, thats great, if not, theres pharmacy and she doesnt fuss starting a year later because she'll end up working as a pharmacist for the next 20 years or whatever lol.

Shes had a chat with some USYD and UNSW med sci students who say the same, isn't there a general consensus that WSU has easier courses (healthcare). I know that their nursing and midwifery is very prestige.

yeah; but if she has a look into the degrees that are offered in her area she might find another one does the same. Then that would fix the problem that exists.
So you're saying that you leave the degree in your final year to go to another one? Do you end up with your first degree or not? I thought you could leave all degree whenever you wanted.

Cal

Valued Member
So you're saying that you leave the degree in your final year to go to another one? Do you end up with your first degree or not? I thought you could leave all degree whenever you wanted.
I am saying that you get a bachelors degree after 3 years if you leave; which makes you eligable for gemsas (if she does well on the GAMSAT during her first few years) and it is the same length as a biomedical science degree. But if she doesn't do well in the first three years; she can finish the degree and become a pharmacist as well.

Haha. I suspected as much. Have these students actually studied a medical science degree at both universities or are they just assuming that the place they’re studying at is harder?
I think they're assuming, however they are bright kids who do say attaining a high GPA at UNSW and USYD is difficult.

I am saying that you get a bachelors degree after 3 years if you leave; which makes you eligable for gemsas (if she does well on the GAMSAT during her first few years) and it is the same length as a biomedical science degree. But if she doesn't do well in the first three years; she can finish the degree and become a pharmacist as well.
I see, are you aware of any such unis in NSW?

Cal

Valued Member
I see, are you aware of any such unis in NSW?
no; but if UQ offers it there is a chance another one does; which is where she would have to do a bit of research into it.

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
I think they're assuming, however they are bright kids who do say attaining a high GPA at UNSW and USYD is difficult.
I would suggest that she speaks to some WSU students too, then. Attaining a high GPA is difficult at all universities.

I would suggest that she speaks to some WSU students too, then. Attaining a high GPA is difficult at all universities.
If this was the case and attaining a 6+ GPA at WSU was attainable and wouldn't hinder he UCAT and subsequent chances at even undergraduate medicine after Year 1 or even post grad medicine, what then would be your thoughts?

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
If this was the case and attaining a 6+ GPA at WSU was attainable and wouldn't hinder he UCAT and subsequent chances at even undergraduate medicine after Year 1 or even post grad medicine, what then would be your thoughts?
I fully agree with all posts by Mana in this thread (note: I am a biomed graduate myself), and I don’t think it changes depending on the university that one attends.