Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Common pitfalls to avoid for year 12 school leavers and other medicine applicants

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
The unis I am going for are WSU and Newcastle. I will also apply to every other undergrad med course aswell, but those two are my main (and I believe obtainable!) universities.
Sounds like you’re going to have a productive year so that plan sounds good. Though I’ll point out for completeness that both of these universities are able to be applied to through non-standard entry, so delaying tertiary studies to apply to these is essentially useless (obviously your gap year will be worthwhile if you’re working and doing other things beyond preparing for UCAT/interviews etc, though).

TYTCML20

Very often people will say that their situation is unique or the advice doesn’t apply to them. In almost all circumstances I disagree with this. There’s nowhere in Mana’s posts that say “l’d support gap years more if people did more interview prep” because everything in the posts still apply. Of course the decision is up to you, but I just like to make people aware of these things before they go ahead with it.
I greatly appreciate your replies, and I believe you are doing an excellent deed for the future med hopefuls like myself :)
I am blown away by the extent to which you all care about just another post by an anonymous user. Thank you.
I do agree that in most situations (perhaps including myself) the gap year is a difficult option to pursue, and may be wasted completely (@2019 me).
However, I know that my interviews last year could be greatly improved, and I find it a much easier option than the graduate route. Plus there are all the benefits of having an entire year to myself before the long haul of medicine.
Once again, I appreciate your concern towards myself and the wider medical community, you are a hero.

TYTCML20

Sounds like you’re going to have a productive year so that plan sounds good. Though I’ll point out for completeness that both of these universities are able to be applied to through non-standard entry, so delaying tertiary studies to apply to these is essentially useless (obviously your gap year will be worthwhile if you’re working and doing other things beyond preparing for UCAT/interviews etc, though).
Yep that is a good point to note. It is just that assuming I enter medicine after my second gap year (which in itself is quite problematic to assume) I would much rather have spent all that time working and pursuing my other interests full steam ahead.
Worst case scenario, I have not made medicine, but I will still have gained a disproportionate amount of value from one full productive year for my interests (as most students simply leave highschool and jump straight into university). And so if this is the case, I will have no regrets starting tertiary studies one year later.

ucatboy

Monash MD I
Valued Member
Oops I should have provided more context. My bad!

ATAR: 98.15

UCAT: 3360 (99 Percentile)
VR - 790
DM - 800
QR - 880
AR - 890
SJT - 650

The unis I am going for are WSU and Newcastle. I will also apply to every other undergrad med course aswell, but those two are my main (and I believe obtainable!) universities. These two do not look at ATAR for final selection, and base interviews off UCAT performance.
If the saying goes ucatboy , (past performance is the best indicator of future performance), it is safe to say I will receive a competitive enough UCAT to snag an interview!

Thanks for all the fast replies (what a fantastic and supportive community!), and perhaps these stats will provide a little context to the ambiguous question.
Woah! :O

If you get any score even remotely similar to what you got last year, it goes without saying that you'll almost certainly receive interviews to your preferred unis JMP and WSU. You just gotta work on your interview skills and you're set! :D

Your ATAR might be a little on the low side but I reckon you'll be able to snag an Adelaide offer (if you're interested, of course) if you do a really good interview there - it's not unheard of for 98 ATARs to get CSP offers with 100%ile UMATs/99%ile UCATs. I'm not too well-versed in your chances at other universities sorry.

TYTCML20

Woah! :O

If you get any score even remotely similar to what you got last year, it goes without saying that you'll almost certainly receive interviews to your preferred unis JMP and WSU. You just gotta work on your interview skills and you're set! :D

Your ATAR might be a little on the low side but I reckon you'll be able to snag an Adelaide offer (if you're interested, of course) if you do a really good interview there - it's not unheard of for 98 ATARs to get CSP offers with 100%ile UMATs/99%ile UCATs. I'm not too well-versed in your chances at other universities sorry.
Thanks for your support, I hope I will report back on this platform with good news in a year!
That is good to note, I will most definitely apply to Adelaide aswell :)

TKAO

ima head to oooo-wahhh for med
Valued Member
Thanks for your support, I hope I will report back on this platform with good news in a year!
That is good to note, I will most definitely apply to Adelaide aswell :)
Did you get a curtin interview invite this year? If you didn't then you probably won't be able to get one next year either which really limits down your options to UoN and WSU. Quick thing to note is that you might as well apply to JCU as well because while they do look at your ATAR and they won't look at your UCAT, you can make an absolute banger of a written application that would make up for the lackluster ATAR. Smash that interview too and then you'd be on your way as well. I can't reasonably see yourself getting in anywhere else unless you are Vic student (in which case you might be able to snag a Monash offer) or you have financial/school disadvantage that you could apply for at SATAC to use to get into Flinders.

TYTCML20

Did you get a curtin interview invite this year? If you didn't then you probably won't be able to get one next year either which really limits down your options to UoN and WSU. Quick thing to note is that you might as well apply to JCU as well because while they do look at your ATAR and they won't look at your UCAT, you can make an absolute banger of a written application that would make up for the lackluster ATAR. Smash that interview too and then you'd be on your way as well. I can't reasonably see yourself getting in anywhere else unless you are Vic student (in which case you might be able to snag a Monash offer) or you have financial/school disadvantage that you could apply for at SATAC to use to get into Flinders.
I did not receive a Curtin interview this year, no.
Thanks for the tips, I will most definitely apply to JCU as well, and pretty much all Australian medical unis possible.
However, I recognise that my only realistic chances are WSU and UoN, as I am a NSW student with no special considerations at all.
Thank you again for your concern and help, I hope to be back with good news.

chinaski

Yep that is a good point to note. It is just that assuming I enter medicine after my second gap year (which in itself is quite problematic to assume) I would much rather have spent all that time working and pursuing my other interests full steam ahead.
Worst case scenario, I have not made medicine, but I will still have gained a disproportionate amount of value from one full productive year for my interests (as most students simply leave highschool and jump straight into university). And so if this is the case, I will have no regrets starting tertiary studies one year later.
....Hence why "gap year" is a misnomer. "Getting on with the business of living life as a grown up" is more accurate, and indeed, a so-called "gap year" can last for much longer than 365 days! Life is not as linear as school leavers perceive it to be.

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
However, I recognise that my only realistic chances are WSU and UoN, as I am a NSW student with no special considerations at all.
That’s not quite how it works. Yes, there are some preferential entry schemes by a few of the universities, but on the most part you should be on equal footing with your interstate counterparts. Definitely apply widely to give yourself the best chance if you’re willing to study interstate!

Hi everyone, I’m hoping someone here is able to help. I went back to WSU half a year ago to complete 4 units and overcome my 11 year old bachelor’s degree. I managed a 7gpa and now the next hurdle is UCAT. In your experience or knowledge does WSU consider professional experience in their selection for mature age students?
If the UCAT result is not competitive, could I do it again in 2021 without the need to study an additional 4 units? Thank you.

TKAO

ima head to oooo-wahhh for med
Valued Member
Hi everyone, I’m hoping someone here is able to help. I went back to WSU half a year ago to complete 4 units and overcome my 11 year old bachelor’s degree. I managed a 7gpa and now the next hurdle is UCAT. In your experience or knowledge does WSU consider professional experience in their selection for mature age students?
If the UCAT result is not competitive, could I do it again in 2021 without the need to study an additional 4 units? Thank you.
Professional experience in not considered in the WSU selection process, however you can use your professional experience as a talking point in the interviews. Your maturity and experience may give you an edge over fresh year 12 graduates that you would be competing again. For your second question, i don't have an answer for you so it would be best if you waited for a mod to answer that question.

A1

Admissions Speculator
I suggest you should try for JMP as well so will answer your second question for both schools.

Iirc WSU doesn't have the 10yr rule. Irrespective of that I think they will use the GPA of your latest study program provided it's 4+ units, as such you don't have to study more units. (As an aside I think if you didn't do these 4 units you would still be eligible if your 11yo degree's GPA was 5.5+).

For JMP I am more certain they don't have the 10yr rule, however they are different from WSU in that they count your latest study program only if it's 8+ units. If you stay at 4 units they will count the GPA of your previous degree, the requirement is "Better than Pass" = roughly 4.3+.