Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Duplicate threads or ONE big thread for all topics?

V

Voltman

Hey everybody,

I'm curious to know what the general consensus is on MSO. If you have a question that has already been brought up in another thread (but an old one), is it better to re-open that thread by posting your question there if it's the same or similar to the OP's original question? Or is it better to start a completely new thread on the topic?

NoobyMcNooberton

Pretty sure it is a case by case thing that really depends on how old the similar thread is (or how similar it is). In my opinion If the previous similar thread is very old (hasn't had a new post in 2 years) I think it is fair to start a new thread. However, if it is only a few months old, and just hasn't been used in a while I would re-open it as it is silly to have lots of threads on the same topic.

Hope thats helps, keep being an active member! :D

gulls

Victim of Procrastination
Emeritus Staff
Better to reopen. It's good that you're using search before posting threads- we strongly encourage users do so, otherwise we redirect them.

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
If it's identical and the answers are there, why ask? :p

If it's a related but considerably different, it's up to you. If two identical topics emerge at the same time we merge them, but if they come up several years apart, a new thread is fine.

Havox

Sword and Martini Guy!
Emeritus Staff
Better to reopen. It's good that you're using search before posting threads- we strongly encourage users do so, otherwise we redirect them.

Yup, I don't see why you'll need to ask a question that's already been answered unless it's significantly different or unique to your situation. Just tag the question onto the existing thread.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads