Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Medicine: Choosing Between Campuses

a53795

Hi, I needed some advice about the Nathan campus for med sci. It seems the facilities at GC are more updated and some of their first-year courses are more biomed specific, plus I could get a pathology cert III. Currently I have Nathan as 1st preference mainly because it's in the larger city. My question to those who did med sci at Nathan is what are your thoughts on the facilities, the course content and the campus itself? Also which campus would be better for extracurriculars? Thanks

Hi, I needed some advice about the Nathan campus for med sci. It seems the facilities at GC are more updated and some of their first-year courses are more biomed specific, plus I could get a pathology cert III. Currently I have Nathan as 1st preference mainly because it's in the larger city. My question to those who did med sci at Nathan is what are your thoughts on the facilities, the course content and the campus itself? Also which campus would be better for extracurriculars? Thanks
Hey, as a Nathan Medical Science grad from this year, I would probably say that Nathan would be a great first preference.
I am a little biased as Nathan was a lot more local to me, but I think the campus was amazing and facilities were amazing. Even after seeing the GC campus a couple of times, I would say I would still pick Nathan for these reasons:
1. The campus is a lot smaller. Maybe this is a downside for some people, but for someone who likes the quiet it really is a nice campus. You pretty much park your car, then its a short walk to the library (which is in the centre of the campus), then everything else you need (classes, food, cafes etc.) are no much more than a 1-2 minute walk from there. Everything is very central and close, as well as the campus being nestled in a literal forest (I have seen koalas on the trees outside the widows within the library multiple times), it makes the campus very relaxing and good environment to study in.
2. Facilities wise, I always found Nathan to have what I needed personally. The food options were less but all very good - Cafe Rossa for good coffee and snacks, Vietnamese or Indian cuisine for lunch, and the post office had really cheap soft drinks of all things. A lot/majority of the social sport for GU is also conducted at the Nathan and Mt Gravatt campuses, so if you are into sport going to the Nathan campus is definitely a big advantage. The lecturers at the uni were also always amazing, and you have many multiple times throughout your degree and most have very positive relationships with the Medical Science cohort, making for a lot of good fun.
3. Courses wise, Nathan and GC are pretty similar these days, though I wouldn't let any differences in course structure change your opinion. Yes, you get a Cert III in Pathology at GC, but you will probably acquire similar knowledge in Med so you will catch up. Courses wise, that is the only real major difference. Biosciences Laboratory at Nathan was also super fun, and done in 2 weeks so its over quick. Most of the courses between the two campuses are the same (e.g. pharmacology, legal and ethical practices etc.) or are equivalent courses (e.g. immunology, infectious disease).
4. Nathan Medical Science has a good culture. For the most part, everyone pretty much knew everyone due to how small the cohort and campus was by the end of trimester 1. This opened up a lot of fun and lasting friendships, as well as always having a good study group as well. I do not know if the GC cohort had a similar chemistry, but historically I know Nathan has always been like this.
5. In terms of extracurriculars, Nathan is probably better too, the city is larger, everything is closer together and generally there is a lot more to do in my opinion.
Hopefully this all helps, its a lot and all just opinion, but good luck with your choice !

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Back