Post UCAT Discussion Thread 2021

thank you so much for the advice :)

is the registration area located at a close distance to the testing room? one of my friends told me that the door of the testing room was left opened and that he was exposed to the noise coming from the registration area
Ah yes, I could hear people in other rooms chatting and at times even laughing (was clearly a good joke because wow) so definitely recommend earplugs, I didn’t take them but they wish I did!
I don’t think it was loud enough to throw me off significantly but definitely took my attention from my test at times and made me frustrated.

Im sorry to hear that about your experience. Besides that incidence how was the test centre in general. How many laminated pages were you provided? How were the computers and the noise in the centre? thanks in advance
Can’t really complain too much about the experience besides the man at the start. There were more than enough laminated pages and they brought in and set up new test takers fairly quietly, I was shocked when I left and saw how many people had come in during my test.

As I just explained in a seperate reply- I would recommend bringing ear plugs as the admin staff were close to the test room with the door open and chatting quite loud. Wasn’t too distracting though! Good luck 🥳

medboy20

Lurker
Hey guys, not sure if this is an applicable question so moderators please remove if it is against the rules but a lot of test takers have said DM was difficult this year. Are you guys able to answer it without breaking NDA or any rules? Is it more time consuming? Are the questions generally more challenging? Thanks!

Hey guys, not sure if this is an applicable question so moderators please remove if it is against the rules but a lot of test takers have said DM was difficult this year. Are you guys able to answer it without breaking NDA or any rules? Is it more time consuming? Are the questions generally more challenging? Thanks!
As I said, “difficult” is subjective. I haven’t done the exam myself but a majority of people would say it would be “difficult” as it is much easier to find someone who scores in, say, a lower percentile than a higher one.

jhsane

I just sat mine in NZ and I got 3370! Highest score I've gotten.
I found the VR was pretty easy compared to mocks, DM similar to mocks, QR easier but I messed up in 6 questions and AR I did not find super easy but I managed to get 900?
Good luck to everyone! I'm majorly surprised because I was sure I screwed up

Nardwuar

I found the VR was pretty easy compared to mocks, DM similar to mocks, QR easier but I messed up in 6 questions and AR I did not find super easy but I managed to get 900?
u absolute legend, would you be comfortable posting your subset breakdowns and some strategies you use that you found worked well?

jhsane

To those that have done the test this year, how big was the font size? Is it the same size as the official bank?
For me the font was bigger than the mocks!
The passages for VR were pretty short too (content removed), roughly the same as the official ones?

Last edited by a moderator:
For me the font was bigger than the mocks!
The passages for VR were pretty short too (content removed), roughly the same as the official ones?
Were there political and long histroical passages asked, and also what were you averaging for your mocks ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing, how did you find eah subtest. Can you give a breif summary of each of them and compare them with your mocks. Also any tips and tridcs to increase speed and accuracy

jhsane

u absolute legend, would you be comfortable posting your subset breakdowns and some strategies you use that you found worked well?
Sure! I got:
VR 790
DM 810
QR 870
AR 900

And SJT 621 rip (I sorta prepared for this one too but I was super out of it)

We had some sign in problems at my centre so I spent the time just clearing my head and pacing for 30 minutes which I think helped me a lot. I did no revision day of exam (today) and 4 mini mocks yesterday but other than that I just relaxed.
Preparation wise, I did on and off from Feb with entire months off in April and May but then intensive 1 week before the exam?
This was my first time sitting the exam so I asked a few friends who had sat it before for advice and started preparing with the clunky keyboards very early - I practiced number pad drills before practice sessions until it became second nature which I think helps a lot.
Also I went to a public library once to practice on their computers which was pretty useful too I think? I think trying to mimic the official exam conditions helps with nerves - I was super stressed before the exam (super nauseous and bad sleep the past 3 nights) so I think this saved me :)

Congrats on your amazing score!!! What did you get for your Official Mocks if you did them?

serotonin

Sure! I got:
VR 790
DM 810
QR 870
AR 900

And SJT 621 rip (I sorta prepared for this one too but I was super out of it)

We had some sign in problems at my centre so I spent the time just clearing my head and pacing for 30 minutes which I think helped me a lot. I did no revision day of exam (today) and 4 mini mocks yesterday but other than that I just relaxed.
Preparation wise, I did on and off from Feb with entire months off in April and May but then intensive 1 week before the exam?
This was my first time sitting the exam so I asked a few friends who had sat it before for advice and started preparing with the clunky keyboards very early - I practiced number pad drills before practice sessions until it became second nature which I think helps a lot.
Also I went to a public library once to practice on their computers which was pretty useful too I think? I think trying to mimic the official exam conditions helps with nerves - I was super stressed before the exam (super nauseous and bad sleep the past 3 nights) so I think this saved me :)
what centre did you sit your exam at ? well done on the amazing score !!! :)

jhsane

Congrats on your amazing score!!! What did you get for your Official Mocks if you did them?
Around 2900! Official Mock A was super hard but then the VR for B C and D wasn't representative because I had seen some questions in the banks lol

what centre did you sit your exam at ? well done on the amazing score !!! :)
Auldhouse Computer Training Ponsonby Auckland
Thank you!!

DonTheDoc

Around 2900! Official Mock A was super hard but then the VR for B C and D wasn't representative because I had seen some questions in the banks lol

Auldhouse Computer Training Ponsonby Auckland
Thank you!!
Congrats on such an awesome score. For VR, what would you say your general strategy is?

Hey,

How bad is a score of 2770? I want to go to Griffith so it doesn't really matter but it's a bit lower that what I expected from practice 😅

VR 650
DM 650
QR 830
VR 640

congrats! it depends on which unis you want to apply for etc but 2770 is definitely not a "bad" score, although it's all relative. how did you find the QR section compared to official mocks?
Thanks.....

I actually found the QR quite a bit easier since I almost always ran out of time in the official mocks.....

I read question first usually but the exam passages were short enough for me to read in whole because I'm a pretty fast reader :)
Congrats on your score! Do you have any tips for VR I'm struggling to keep my score above 600 in timed conditions? I tend to use the read the question first and skim for the answer strategy, it works for t/f/ct but otherwise I spend too much time on the other questions. Anything will help!