Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UNSW UNSW Medicine: Incoming Students

Hi all, I just got my offer from UNSW and will have to move from Adelaide to Sydney, but I am worried about the general living expenses since my parents are going to provide minimal financial support. How much should I be expecting per week, and will I get enough time to do part time jobs?? Thanks in advance for any reply :)

Will you be getting government support? I won't sugar coat it, living in Sydney is very expensive. It sounds to me like living close to the uni is not feasible. 1 bedroom studio apartments in the city are about $300-$350 a week, youth allowance would not cover that. I think you are best off moving away from the city and just taking public transport to uni.

Have a look at the real estate market and then work out how much money you would need on real estate+ groceries + transport etc. It is doable but if you are low on money it won't be fun.

If money is really tight, you may want to consider deferring, saving up as much as you can and then starting the following year if that is an option.

Last edited:
Hey Jasonovic :)

Congrats on the offer, that's incredible! Youth Allowance is highly dependent on your personal assets/ parents' income up till a certain age. Check this link out: Youth Allowance for students and Australian Apprentices - How much you can get - Australian Government Department of Human Services

Also look at scholarships from UNSW and colleges. Sometimes a scholarship from a college can mean you pay around $15k/ year (instead of the usual 20k+/ year). Perhaps consider a part-time job if need be/ living with mates in Sydney. All the best :)

If it helps Jasonovic I am pretty much in the same situation. Single parent, only employed recently and won't be helping me out financially.
I will be sharing a room in a shared apartment near the university. As I'm sure you know, with our backgrounds some compromises must be made. I decided that living close to campus is more important to me than living alone.
Depending on your parental income etc., you may receive the away rate of youth allowance ($455 a fortnight maximum) and rent assistance ($135 a fortnight maximum). If you are from regional SA you will also receive the relocation scholarship, however you will not if you are from metro Adelaide.
So, essentially, you need to budget: maximum $590 a fortnight. How much are you prepared in rent? How much will you budget for food? How much will you have as emergency funds, or as extra funds to enjoy university life?
Other costs to consider:
If you aren't close to campus or plan on travelling away from campus: public transport costs
Travel costs between Adelaide and Sydney (look up flights)
Medcamp is probably $250ish. Lab coat $35ish. New textbooks would cost you back at least $600 - can you source them another way?
Do you have any other personal expenses? Medication, clubs/societies, feminine care

I advise sitting down with your parents. Plan for everyday expenses, figure out how much you can spare to have emergency funds (very important) and money you can just splurge. Negotiate how much your parents can afford to support you with because something is better than nothing.

You can defer. I have a friend who will (albeit she is doing Arts, and wants to get the independent rate of youth allowance because her parents wealth affects her payments ATM)
But tbh, you are not the only one going through this. Many others will cope, so can you.

Following on from sarangiya: Book flights early if you can. They cost a lot in peak season and when booked last minute. Perhaps flights you can change the dates though if need be? Things could pop up e.g. staying in Sydney, supplementary exams etc.
You might have a healthcare card. This will help with what sarangiya mentioned. Some private GPs bulk bill students/ health care card holders. Also means medication at a cheaper price (around $5/6 iirc) instead of $35 or so if on PBS.
Get to know older years through clubs, etc. Think Logic mentioned Year 2s and 1s learning together. See if they can help you out with resources, tips and textbooks. $600+ for textbooks in my mind is rent for 2/3 weeks.
Look at grants from the university too for financial hardship. Know who to speak to at uni if things get rough. Some unis (like Adelaide) have public housing forms. They are short-term solutions (usually 6 months- 1 year). But it's better than nothing.
Careful with rent assistance with Centrelink. The higher your rent, the higher rent assistance is. But the more you need to pay out of pocket. Don't let how much rent assistance affect your decision, because you still need to look at the cost of rent itself.

Thank you so much everyone for your detailed replies!!! I had little clue on how to deal with my financial issues but now I guess I have somewhere to start off from :) Hopefully I can make it to UNSW with your help :D :D

Thank you so much everyone for your detailed replies!!! I had little clue on how to deal with my financial issues but now I guess I have somewhere to start off from :) Hopefully I can make it to UNSW with your help :D :D
Btw if you haven't make sure you apply for EAS and equity scholarships through UAC. I didn't get a scholarship initially but I just got an equity one this morning .

Hi! Anyone have any ideas about how to find accommodation for Port Macquarie when campus accommodation is all booked up?

Hi! Anyone have any ideas about how to find accommodation for Port Macquarie when campus accommodation is all booked up?

I'd say have a look on flatmates and gumtree/domain/realestate.com for rentals depending on if you're looking to share or live alone. There are campuses for UoN and Charles Sturt at Port so you might have some luck as far as uni share houses go, and CS has a page for their students (Search)

If you're really stuck maybe try getting in touch with the clinical school?

I'd say have a look on flatmates and gumtree/domain/realestate.com for rentals depending on if you're looking to share or live alone. There are campuses for UoN and Charles Sturt at Port so you might have some luck as far as uni share houses go, and CS has a page for their students (Search)

If you're really stuck maybe try getting in touch with the clinical school?
Thank you!

Hi! I recently accepted an offer for UNSW Med starting in 2022. I was wondering if there are any chats or discord groups for new students? Thanks!

Hi! I recently accepted an offer for UNSW Med starting in 2022. I was wondering if there are any chats or discord groups for new students? Thanks!
The medical student societies of each uni typically create an official FB group etc but it probably won’t happen until domestic offers go out. We usually hear of them starting up around late Jan/early Feb. There might be a UNSW International Student society that has an established general group going, that’d be your best bet at this stage, I’d think.

Hey I might not be able to become compliant in time for the start of BGDA and as per an email sent out it might mean i get an unsatisfactory fail for that course, what does this mean? Would this result in the failing of the whole degree or can you retake that specific course again (would this mean repeating the year?). Does anyone know what the possible effects of this are?

Just a couple of questions about timetabling for the Medicine program at UNSW:

1. How many on-campus hours are you required to do per week?

2. What is the minimum number of days that you have to be on campus for (assuming you crammed everything into a few days)?

3. Are classes held on the weekend for Universities in general?

4. What are the earliest and latest times for classes?

Thanks in advance!

Just a couple of questions about timetabling for the Medicine program at UNSW:

1. How many on-campus hours are you required to do per week?

2. What is the minimum number of days that you have to be on campus for (assuming you crammed everything into a few days)?

3. Are classes held on the weekend for Universities in general?

4. What are the earliest and latest times for classes?

Thanks in advance!
Edit:
Im going to talk about my experiences as a year 1 MD student.
1) Minimum 4 hours on campus per week. Can get as high as 10-12 some weeks.

2) 2. You're expected to go to Scenario Groups (it's like a PBL session).

3) No.

4) Every day mostly starts off with a lecture at 9am. Latest I've ever been at uni for a class is 5pm.

Last edited:
Edit:
Im going to talk about my experiences as a year 1 MD student.
1) Minimum 4 hours on campus per week. Can get as high as 10-12 some weeks.

2) 2. You're expected to go to Scenario Groups (it's like a PBL session).

3) No.

4) Every day mostly starts off with a lecture at 9am. Latest I've ever been at uni for a class is 5pm.
Are the lectures delivered online or in person?

Back