Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoO Graduate Entry Chat/Enquiry

The method I posted was a direct copy and paste from the email I received from UoO. In which case, I'd take it at face value :)

If you're worried you could always email the health science division and get it cleared up

Last edited:
Hey! does anyone know roughly how many grad-entry med offers are given out in December? Because i realize they only give out a small amount since they have to wait for applicants who did Pre-Xmas papers :) My theoretical max is about 9.4 (without PXSS) and I'm not too keen to do PXSS, but if I'm gonna be waitlisted or rejected, I thought I might as well do it

Last edited:
Hey! does anyone know roughly how many grad-entry med offers are given out in December? Because i realize they only give out a small amount since they have to wait for applicants who did summer school :) My theoretical max is about 9.4 and I'm not too keen to do summer school, but if I'm gonna be waitlisted or rejected, I thought I might as well do it
~Top quartile of applicants roughly 25%, but give or take a few places (for those who need to sit special exams + PXSS papers); summer school might be a too late.

Btw: I can say a 9.4 will 100% land you a first round offer. Anything above a >9.0 should get you an direct offer... if not then something with admissions must have changed.

~Top quartile of applicants roughly 25%, but give or take a few places (for those who need to sit special exams + PXSS papers); summer school might be a too late.

Btw: I can say a 9.4 will 100% land you a first round offer. Anything above a >9.0 should get you an direct offer... if not then something with admissions must have changed.
I'm in a similar boat, with a theoretical maximum of 9.45. I've enrolled in PXSS just in case though. If offers come out and people are getting in with let's say 9s etc (and I know mine is above that), will the admissions office give me a direct offer? As regardless of PXSS paper result I will have a higher score? Or do they wait until PXSS results come out? (seems a bit pointless though).

If my second sem results leave me with a score well above 9, would you then recommend dropping PXSS?

Sorry lol I hope this all makes sense! I just don't want to do PXSS if I don't have to, but also don't want to take the risk as no idea where cutoffs will lie.

I'm in a similar boat, with a theoretical maximum of 9.45. I've enrolled in PXSS just in case though. If offers come out and people are getting in with let's say 9s etc (and I know mine is above that), will the admissions office give me a direct offer? As regardless of PXSS paper result I will have a higher score? Or do they wait until PXSS results come out? (seems a bit pointless though).

If my second sem results leave me with a score well above 9, would you then recommend dropping PXSS?

Sorry lol I hope this all makes sense! I just don't want to do PXSS if I don't have to, but also don't want to take the risk as no idea where cutoffs will lie.

I emailed them about that first question and they said they won't give a direct offer even if you pass the first cutoff, you'd have to wait until January i.e. you're automatically 'waitlisted' if you do PXSS.

I think we won't know whether we should drop the PXSS because the last day to drop it is 13th Nov (w no refund) and idk if sem 2 results will come out before then?

Last edited:

Yeah just drop it.

Last year, I had a friend with a GPA of ~8.5 doing PXSS paper during their holiday overseas. I told them they would get straight out of the waitlist on January 9 and to just drop the paper and enjoy their break.

They dropped it + enjoyed their holiday and was given an offer on Jan 9.
Though you don't get a refund if you drop it that late, it's still better than forcing yourself to do unnecessary work that prevents you from enjoying your summer break.

I feel you hahahha I emailed them about that first question and they said they won't give a direct offer even if you pass the first cutoff, you'd have to wait until January.

I think we can't drop the PXSS because the last day to drop it is 13th Nov and idk if sem 2 results will come out before then?

You can withdraw from the paper at a later date just that you don't get a refund.
You do lose money but it's not much in the long run once you start working (post-med) and even do some part time jobs during summer.

9.4?? And 9.45?? Wow that's crazy high! How have people been getting these GPAs? I've taken every summer school paper and extra 200 level papers to boost my GPA and even then my theoretical max is only 9.02.

I feel you hahahha I emailed them about that first question and they said they won't give a direct offer even if you pass the first cutoff, you'd have to wait until January i.e. you're automatically 'waitlisted' if you do PXSS.

I think we won't know whether we should drop the PXSS because the last day to drop it is 13th Nov (w no refund) and idk if sem 2 results will come out before then?
Oh man that sucks we're automatically waitlised - but thank you so much for answering!
And yeah definitely won't have sem 2 results by 13th Nov. Guess I'll probably just take no chances and do pxss lol, would be mad regrets if I bomb sem 2 and end up waitlisted for ages

Yeah just drop it.

Last year, I had a friend with a GPA of ~8.5 doing PXSS paper during their holiday overseas. I told them they would get straight out of the waitlist on January 9 and to just drop the paper and enjoy their break.

They dropped it + enjoyed their holiday and was given an offer on Jan 9.
Though you don't get a refund if you drop it that late, it's still better than forcing yourself to do unnecessary work that prevents you from enjoying your summer break.
If your friend dropped it, how come they weren't given an offer in December?

9.4?? And 9.45?? Wow that's crazy high! How have people been getting these GPAs? I've taken every summer school paper and extra 200 level papers to boost my GPA and even then my theoretical max is only 9.02.
Surely there cant be too many people with those scores... although it seems like it based on mso. Kind of worried about my 8.8/8.9, I thought for sure it would be safe :(

Surely there cant be too many people with those scores... although it seems like it based on mso. Kind of worried about my 8.8/8.9, I thought for sure it would be safe :(
Yeah I know right :( Me too, I hope that the mid 9s aren't going to be the average GPA

Yeah I know right :( Me too, I hope that the mid 9s aren't going to be the average GPA

Regardless of what your GPA is, you should be proud that you have finished a degree (after all, getting a degree is already a big achievement in itself) and gave it all your all over the past few years. From my perspective, anything above a 8 is already a stellar performance. Sadly, the competitive nature of medicine will continue to grow over the coming years but there is nothing you can do now.

Have a good break, spend time with your friends and family and regardless of the outcome in December; always stay positive and believe in yourself :)

Regardless of what your GPA is, you should be proud that you have finished a degree (after all, getting a degree is already a big achievement in itself) and gave it all your all over the past few years. From my perspective, anything above a 8 is already a stellar performance. Sadly, the competitive nature of medicine will continue to grow over the coming years but there is nothing you can do now.

Have a good break, spend time with your friends and family and regardless of the outcome in December; always stay positive and believe in yourself :)
Aww Bootleg! Thank you, you're so encouraging :)

btw, out of the 282 domestic places for medicine this year, how many are for graduate entry students? Also compared to the x number of graduate spots available, how many do you think apply?

btw, out of the 282 domestic places for medicine this year, how many are for graduate entry students? Also compared to the x number of graduate spots available, how many do you think apply?

Can't find any more recent information but feel free to look at other OIA requests from the website. I just skimmed it since I couldn't be bothered reading all the requests in detail.

Can't find any more recent information but feel free to look at other OIA requests from the website. I just skimmed it since I couldn't be bothered reading all the requests in detail.

Oh great :) Thank you!

What are the chances of getting a direct offer with 9.17? Also if I send you my working will you be able to please check and confirm my calculations?

Last edited:

Back