Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoO HSFY 2024

Yall should really get chatting, as someone who took HSFY in 2023 this form is an amazing tool throughout the year and is incredibly helpful when it comes to studying for exams
Yeah our cohort is antisocial as 😔

Does anyone have any advice when it comes to studying for phsi191? Out of all the papers it’s my weakest 😭

Does anyone have any advice when it comes to studying for phsi191? Out of all the papers it’s my weakest 😭
I thought its HUBS that people struggle with. Can you guys please share some tips on how to study for HUBS191/192

Search up Tom Lee PHSI191 on youtube. Absolute life saver. My advice would be to make your cheat sheet throughout the semester, don't just cram it all at the end. And when you study, keep your cheat sheet and formula sheet next to you, so you get used to using them. Also, make the most of the help sessions - especially early on in the semester before they get busy, they can be super helpful. And lastly, practice papers!! Go crazy on them because so many questions are repeated, just with different wordings.

I thought its HUBS that people struggle with. Can you guys please share some tips on how to study for HUBS191/192
Personally, I just chucked everything straight on Anki and religiously used it. If there was a concept I didn't understand, finding a video that could explain it was usually better than asking -> AK lectures or Ninja Nerd on youtube (they go way beyond what you need to know, but still good). Do lots of practice essays and learn to make them concise. Like I said, I used Anki, but make sure you're still processing what you're learning, so you don't get caught up with some trick questions they throw at you.

Search up Tom Lee PHSI191 on youtube. Absolute life saver. My advice would be to make your cheat sheet throughout the semester, don't just cram it all at the end. And when you study, keep your cheat sheet and formula sheet next to you, so you get used to using them. Also, make the most of the help sessions - especially early on in the semester before they get busy, they can be super helpful. And lastly, practice papers!! Go crazy on them because so many questions are repeated, just with different wordings.
CANT STRESS ENOUGH HOW GOOD TOM LEE IS!!!!!!!!
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Personally, I just chucked everything straight on Anki and religiously used it. If there was a concept I didn't understand, finding a video that could explain it was usually better than asking -> AK lectures or Ninja Nerd on youtube (they go way beyond what you need to know, but still good). Do lots of practice essays and learn to make them concise. Like I said, I used Anki, but make sure you're still processing what you're learning, so you don't get caught up with some trick questions they throw at you.
Thank you so much! Also, does anyone know what the MMI interviews are looking for (for dentistry)? Thank you

How would you go about studying skills for each of the papers? Obviously flashcards and past papers but are there any other useful methods?

How would you go about studying skills for each of the papers? Obviously flashcards and past papers but are there any other useful methods?
PHSI - Pretty much everyone I know that got 97-100 in physics did literally every past paper. Make sure you watch youtube videos to understand concepts and honestly, just use Tom Lees videos as much as you can. In my opinion, if you learn all the things on Tom Lees physics videos you will get pretty close to 100%. Questions tend to be very very similiar from other years.

CHEM - The textbook is pretty good. Just make sure you understand everything coz like exams have a lot of things youre not directly taught but are expected to know. Also, it is worth memorizing tables since half the finals questions i got wrong were from a table you had to memorize. Theres genuinely not alot of content actually taught in CHEM191 so try and learn all the little details too if you want to get 95+

CELS191 - Definitely try to understand things then try to memorize it. You guys will do the transcription/translation rna stuff soon and the mitosis/meiosis stuff. Thats stuff is REALLY CONCEPTUAL and dont get worried if it takes you ages to learn it. Unfortunately, they will quiz you on the details of this(they did in the finals esp) so really do try to learn it if you want 95+. Try to use mindmaps and write down everything you know form a learning objective and check if u missed anything

HUBS191 - Try learn everything if you can. I'd recommend you sit down with a blank paper, look at one of the learning objectives and write down everything you can for each lecture. Top tip: The MCQs use examples that are in the lectures so learn those then know how to apply it esp to the example they give u in the lecture. If you flashcard everything and do mindmaps properly, you will get atleast 95%

I'd also recommend to start getting the gist of UCAT esp for VR and SJT. Every year there are dozens of people who will get 93%+ grades who will fail UCAT coz they thought the thresholds are easy. Don't be one of them, you will regret that ALOT and i mean ALOT

Lastly, I think everyone who did HSFY last year can agree that if you put the effort in, you will get the treats. Good luck!

Apparently dent threshold last year was higher than med, do you guys think this year will follow the same trend since no UCAT is required anymore?

Apparently dent threshold last year was higher than med, do you guys think this year will follow the same trend since no UCAT is required anymore?
Yes, it’s always been that way!

But this year website says no UCAT. Double check though!

Last edited:
PHSI - Pretty much everyone I know that got 97-100 in physics did literally every past paper. Make sure you watch youtube videos to understand concepts and honestly, just use Tom Lees videos as much as you can. In my opinion, if you learn all the things on Tom Lees physics videos you will get pretty close to 100%. Questions tend to be very very similiar from other years.

CHEM - The textbook is pretty good. Just make sure you understand everything coz like exams have a lot of things youre not directly taught but are expected to know. Also, it is worth memorizing tables since half the finals questions i got wrong were from a table you had to memorize. Theres genuinely not alot of content actually taught in CHEM191 so try and learn all the little details too if you want to get 95+

CELS191 - Definitely try to understand things then try to memorize it. You guys will do the transcription/translation rna stuff soon and the mitosis/meiosis stuff. Thats stuff is REALLY CONCEPTUAL and dont get worried if it takes you ages to learn it. Unfortunately, they will quiz you on the details of this(they did in the finals esp) so really do try to learn it if you want 95+. Try to use mindmaps and write down everything you know form a learning objective and check if u missed anything

HUBS191 - Try learn everything if you can. I'd recommend you sit down with a blank paper, look at one of the learning objectives and write down everything you can for each lecture. Top tip: The MCQs use examples that are in the lectures so learn those then know how to apply it esp to the example they give u in the lecture. If you flashcard everything and do mindmaps properly, you will get atleast 95%

I'd also recommend to start getting the gist of UCAT esp for VR and SJT. Every year there are dozens of people who will get 93%+ grades who will fail UCAT coz they thought the thresholds are easy. Don't be one of them, you will regret that ALOT and i mean ALOT

Lastly, I think everyone who did HSFY last year can agree that if you put the effort in, you will get the treats. Good luck!
Thank you so much!!!

Are there anymore resources to study for the HUBS191 progress test one, i feel like the actual progress test must be harder than the ONE practice test but they dont have the past progress tests released :((((

Are there anymore resources to study for the HUBS191 progress test one, i feel like the actual progress test must be harder than the ONE practice test but they dont have the past progress tests released :((((
Not sure if you're at a college, but mine had HUBS tutorials and our tutor prepared us some practice questions back in the day!

hi, i need clarifications on the UCAT - so to get into med can we do the bare minimum and *just* pass the thresholds for VR and SJ and fail the other categories, or is it a "threshold" like the 70 something % grade "threshold" for med entry where you actually need to do a lot better to get in (for general entry)

also! is the lab content examinable? i think it officially says that it is, but it also says textbook content is examinable.

the labs are usually just extra insight into what we've already learnt in the lectures, which is fine, but for CELS it's like completely new stuff and i'm wondering if i have to know how to label a microscope lol. TY

hi, i need clarifications on the UCAT - so to get into med can we do the bare minimum and *just* pass the thresholds for VR and SJ and fail the other categories, or is it a "threshold" like the 70 something % grade "threshold" for med entry where you actually need to do a lot better to get in (for general entry)
also! is the lab content examinable? i think it officially says that it is, but it also says textbook content is examinable.

the labs are usually just extra insight into what we've already learnt in the lectures, which is fine, but for CELS it's like completely new stuff and i'm wondering if i have to know how to label a microscope lol. TY
The usual approach for UCAT is to set a period of time to learn e.g. 6-8 weeks during term or 2-3 weeks grinding during holiday and then do the best you can. I think for the first time ever they published thresholds already. I would still try my best to have a wide margin of error in case you don’t do too well on the day.

Lab material is examinable like textbooks. Max 2-3 MCQs. Make sure to be pedantic during labs and know the right answer to every question. Then just revise (read over) on the day. That’s likely enough to make you recall if it comes up (good thing about mcqs). I found this was so for cels and hubs. Phsi and chem labs didn’t matter that much. Readings, on the other hand, were never examined in my year.

In both cases, the trick is allocating time beforehand, using it wisely and not going above this, as it is just not worth it to put tooo much effort into these.

The usual approach for UCAT is to set a period of time to learn e.g. 6-8 weeks during term or 2-3 weeks grinding during holiday and then do the best you can. I think for the first time ever they published thresholds already. I would still try my best to have a wide margin of error in case you don’t do too well on the day.

Lab material is examinable like textbooks. Max 2-3 MCQs. Make sure to be pedantic during labs and know the right answer to every question. Then just revise (read over) on the day. That’s likely enough to make you recall if it comes up (good thing about mcqs). I found this was so for cels and hubs. Phsi and chem labs didn’t matter that much. Readings, on the other hand, were never examined in my year.

In both cases, the trick is allocating time beforehand, using it wisely and not going above this, as it is just not worth it to put tooo much effort into these.
thank you!

I am planning on doing my best for the ucat, but hypothetically if someone was to get a low score that is still above the thresholds for med, with great grades, would that affect them from getting in? is it a threshold where they check if you've passed it or not and that's it, or a threshold where its the lowest score they will consider but someone else with scores closer to 100 is more likely to get in?

+ what about the other categories? do we have to pass them / do well ?

Back