Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UQ Accomodation

Lukybear

Hey guys, need some advice

What are the options for me on getting accommodation in Queensland, in case i must go? I am extremely worried, as the colleges are really costly, about 13-15 grand a year, and most of them have already closed their applications.

What other options are there?

Thanks

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
Would like to know also.

My current belief is that trying to live in Brisbane not on college is going to cost you around the same anyway, can someone clarify/educate?

sublimeC

Some colleges are still open for applications.

As for alternatives, there is a new lodge on campus for rent. It's about $250 per week I think. You'll have to contact them to find out.

ctu_max

Yup uni lodge blocks my college's views and breeze! Apart from that at $285 a week and you needing to buy your own food i can imagine it being nearly as expensive as college if not more. You can read about it here

If you can find a good share house a few suburbs out from saint lucia say in Auchenflower, Taringa or Toowong and with weekly rent under $200 the commute isn't that far and it might end up being cheaper than college.

Syn

my mate landed an apartment on fred schonnell drive, and shares it with his mate, it's like a 5 min walk to classes, and i'm pretty sure it's cheaper than colleges.

sublimeC

Yup uni lodge blocks my college's views and breeze! Apart from that at $285 a week and you needing to buy your own food i can imagine it being nearly as expensive as college if not more. You can read about it here

If you can find a good share house a few suburbs out from saint lucia say in Auchenflower, Taringa or Toowong and with weekly rent under $200 the commute isn't that far and it might end up being cheaper than college.
oooo, if you're staying at that college next year, I may see you there =]

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
Tossing up between applying at Emmanuel or Union.. Can't figure out if Emmanuel is worth the extra 2-3grand a year?

Help? :)

ctu_max

Tossing up between applying at Emmanuel or Union.. Can't figure out if Emmanuel is worth the extra 2-3grand a year?

Help? :)

From what I have heard about the two colleges Emmanuel is more collegiate in the traditional and social sense whereas Union errs more on the side of 'Hall of Residence.'

That is with Union:
-Hosts less (if any?) inter-college social events
- Has a VERY laid back O-week. Student Exec. aren't even present. Not all that many activities and no fresher names

Emmanuel on the other hand has more of these things from what I have heard.

Both are fairly large in the scheme of things but I know in my year there are a fair few pre-meds which would be helpful.

It would be best to have a tour and speak to people who have lived there. Good luck :)

carolynt

If you're a guy, you will move out simply because "the internet's slow" and it's expensive. Then again, so is college.

sublimeC

If you're a guy, you will move out simply because "the internet's slow" and it's expensive. Then again, so is college.
I'm pretty sure the college internet at UQ is quick, they use the UQ infrastructure which is hella quick. Prices aren't too bad considering educational and necessary downloads aren't metered.

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff

As I think may have already been mentioned, they have DC whic is pretty amazing and ridiculously fast.
It's good enough for me up here at JCU when I want movies, tv shows or music and only a couple hundred people use it... I can't imagine the amount of stuff you'd be able to find at UQ with that many thousands of people.

So the 10Gb of downloads would actually be pretty adequate provided you don't spend hours on youtube every day. Plus I'm pretty sure torrenting on the college network will result in some sort of penalty if they find out about it, not sure.

I'm applying for Emmanuel next week sometime :) whenever I get a free second I guess.

carolynt

I'm pretty sure the college internet at UQ is quick, they use the UQ infrastructure which is hella quick. Prices aren't too bad considering educational and necessary downloads aren't metered.

I'm talking about UQ Unilodge!

ctu_max

Unilodge is kind of nestled between two colleges and some outlying uni buildings. Maybe some of the rooms could be in range of some UQconnect wifi :p