Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Year 13 Physics

The Guy

Lurker
I am currently in Year 12, and I am interested in doing Biomed in order to get into Medicine at Auckland University. It has come to the time where I am about half way though the year, and have experienced enough of each subject to truly know if I enjoy it or not. The time has come where I am beginning to think about subject for next year (my final year of school). So this is what I'm thinking for next years subjects

Scholarship Biology (if I get in else I will just do normal Bio)
Scholarship Chemistry (if I get in else I will just do normal Chem)
Scholarship Statistics (if I get in else I will just do normal stats)
English

Then there comes the 5th subject. I either would like to do Physics (Scholarship or normal) or Programming. So I guess what I am asking, Is year 13 Physics helpful for first year biomed. I don't particularly enjoy physics, but I by no means hate it, and I quite enjoy programming. Now before you answer, yes I am aware that the physics paper is a non core paper and doesn't exactly count towards medical entrance beyond being eligible for interview (though I would still try my best for it and do correct me if I'm wrong).

Any information about physics and generally the bio med first year overall would be appreciated. Here are my questions

1. How helpful is year 13 Physics for biomed first year (if helpful at all)?
2. Has anyone done the physics paper (or known anyone who has) without year 13 physics and how did you do?

Thank you to anyone who reads over this and takes the time to answer. I greatly appreciate any advice that is given and who knows, mabye one day I will be answering question here if I get into medicine.

Hey 👋

last year when I did biomed I found that taking physics in year 13 (A2 Cambridge physics) helped me quite a bit since there was a lot of overlap. I found I spent less time trying to understand the concepts and doing revision for the physics paper and used tht time to focus on medsci 142 and other papers which I found harder.

if you only want to get in med then taking physics will be helpful in year 13. Also if you don’t get in med in the FY (don’t worry you will if you work hard 😊) and you want to apply via post graduate pathway then doing good in every paper (even physics) will be essential since they take your whole three years of gpa.

you can also do health science and don’t have to do physics in tht.

I’ll try asking my friends if they did or did not do physics in year 13 and whether it helped them or not.

Hey 👋

last year when I did biomed I found that taking physics in year 13 (A2 Cambridge physics) helped me quite a bit since there was a lot of overlap. I found I spent less time trying to understand the concepts and doing revision for the physics paper and used tht time to focus on medsci 142 and other papers which I found harder.

if you only want to get in med then taking physics will be helpful in year 13. Also if you don’t get in med in the FY (don’t worry you will if you work hard 😊) and you want to apply via post graduate pathway then doing good in every paper (even physics) will be essential since they take your whole three years of gpa.

you can also do health science and don’t have to do physics in tht.

I’ll try asking my friends if they did or did not do physics in year 13 and whether it helped them or not.

Thanks for the advice. I am actually doing NCEA but I could see that it would be even more helpful to have in the case that I don't get into med first year. Funny enough, I had a recent physics class and quite enjoyed it all of a sudden. Thanks again for the insight, I believe it will help me alot when I come to make my decisions.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Back