Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Auckland MBChB Class of 2026

That's very interesting! Just out of interest - when you're on a rotation, what are your placement hours like, eg. what time do you get into the department, what time can you leave etc? Cheers!
So ngl I'm not the most diligent student.
Most departments start at 8.
Ortho was very structured at my hospital. I had morning and afternoon slots so I'd be with my consultant in clinic in the morning and then theatre in the afternoon or teaching occasionally. Went home at 4-5 most days.
Currently I'm on general surgery and it's a lot less structured. It's just a lot of hanging around the house officers and talking to patients for your assignment. There's usually not a lot for a med student to do so I go home pretty early (like 2-3 most days).
In the words of one of my former HOs: If there's nothing for you to do just go home. Enjoy your life.

Last edited:
Hi! I did the 4 core papers last year at UoA. To be honest I found those papers almost harder than med school papers. I think what I mean by that, is that alot of the material so far has been almost a repeat of the premed papers (especially from BIOSCI107 and MEDSCI142). Thank God I had to do those papers, cos it set me up well so far.

Don't get me wrong though - our first module we just finished MSS (musculoskeletal) was a mammoth and quite stressful. Although in the end, I realised they won't and can never test you on ALL the material they give to you. So it's best just to identify high yield material and make sure you're on top of that.

I've found the content really cool - it's surprising how holistic the training is so far. Including everything from medical ethics, managing stress/anxiety, group work through to the medical science. You won't get bored I don't think!
Thanks so much for the info! And the content sounds interesting and a lot broader - can't wait to start :D Good luck with the rest of the semester :)

Thanks so much for the info! And the content sounds interesting and a lot broader - can't wait to start :D Good luck with the rest of the semester :)
Just in addition, the resp topic is still pretty difficult but it's at least the same as the resp topic in 142. Literally same slides and everything.

So ngl I'm not the most diligent student.
Most departments start at 8.
Ortho was very structured at my hospital. I had morning and afternoon slots so I'd be with my consultant in clinic in the morning and then theatre in the afternoon or teaching occasionally. Went home at 4-5 most days.
Currently I'm on general surgery and it's a lot less structured. It's just a lot of hanging around the house officers and talking to patients for your assignment. There's usually not a lot for a med student to do so I go home pretty early (like 2-3 most days).
In the words of one of my former HOs: If there's nothing for you to do just go home. Enjoy your life.
You are a much more diligent student than I was, I hardly ever stayed past 12 on my ortho run!

You are a much more diligent student than I was, I hardly ever stayed past 12 on my ortho run!
Ahahah the only reason I stayed was because I had stuff scheduled on morning and afternoon. On Gen Surg I have nothing scheduled so i usually make my own arrangements for the mornings. This week I left at lunch every single day because it's end of run, I have zero motivation and 20 case studies to finish.

Ahahah the only reason I stayed was because I had stuff scheduled on morning and afternoon. On Gen Surg I have nothing scheduled so i usually make my own arrangements for the mornings. This week I left at lunch every single day because it's end of run, I have zero motivation and 20 case studies to finish.
Fair enough. I remember trying to find enough variety of cases to fill the POGS book. Good times! Next year and TI you will get to experience the joy of trying to fill in the O&G blue blook.

Fair enough. I remember trying to find enough variety of cases to fill the POGS book. Good times! Next year and TI you will get to experience the joy of trying to fill in the O&G blue blook.
I'm in Middlemore next year so I'm gonna enjoy Obs/Gyn for sure (/s). I genuinely don't think I'm gonna get consent to see too many births T_T.

At least I have my selective right after to detox.

Hiya how many days approx did you guys go to the campus for SGAs, labs etc? Does anyone know if there’s any flexibility for stream swapping once the timetables come out? I live quite far from campus and was hoping to cut down travel time if at all possible.

Hiya how many days approx did you guys go to the campus for SGAs, labs etc? Does anyone know if there’s any flexibility for stream swapping once the timetables come out? I live quite far from campus and was hoping to cut down travel time if at all possible.
Kia Ora! I decided to watch all lectures online so didn't ever really go into any lectures (maybe went to 2 the whole year LOLS)....

So I only ever went into Grafton for compulsory labs human anatomy labs (actually not compulsory come to think of it but very great experience), physiology labs, small group tutorials, clinical skills etc. All up I would say I went in to campus about twice a week, sometimes maybe three times a week.

You can't really stream hop much but definitely can if you're sick or really in a pickle....

Hope that helps at all!

Kia Ora! I decided to watch all lectures online so didn't ever really go into any lectures (maybe went to 2 the whole year LOLS)....

So I only ever went into Grafton for compulsory labs human anatomy labs (actually not compulsory come to think of it but very great experience), physiology labs, small group tutorials, clinical skills etc. All up I would say I went in to campus about twice a week, sometimes maybe three times a week.

You can't really stream hop much but definitely can if you're sick or really in a pickle....

Hope that helps at all!
Thanks that is really helpful!

Back