Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Auckland MBChB

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I recall correctly, the timetable on SSO isn't the real timetable? I think they gave us our real timetable at orientation. Or perhaps the timetable on SSO included the lectures, but then we got told the times for all our labs and tutorials at orientation. Sorry, I don't remember exactly how it worked (and it may have changed over the past few years), but I would avoid organising things like part-time jobs based on the SSO timetable.

Oh wow, I'll have to check that out!

I'm going, sounds like it's should be a great time, are you?

Yea of course!
I'm not sure what to bring for the baking thing and I'll be new to Auckland so it'll be a bit scary going there at first :S

If I recall correctly, the timetable on SSO isn't the real timetable? I think they gave us our real timetable at orientation. Or perhaps the timetable on SSO included the lectures, but then we got told the times for all our labs and tutorials at orientation. Sorry, I don't remember exactly how it worked (and it may have changed over the past few years), but I would avoid organising things like part-time jobs based on the SSO timetable.

ooh... yea it does seem a bit empty, only 12 lectures and no labs or anything. I presume the lectures are correct, but they'll assign us to our lab/tutorial streams and stuff like that in the first week.

You guys should stop worrying about your timetables haha. They fill them up really quickly before and during O-week so enjoy the almost empty timetable as much as you can now!

Btw for those of you who don't know, you MUST ATTEND O-week or else they DO NOT let you continue with the degree.

Hey guys when you enrolled into MBCHB221A & B did you guys have to sort out your timetable or was it automatic? (mine was automatic), lol sorry if I sound like a noob, I'm an otago grad, otago sorts out timetables for students. I'm asking because I've seen all these biomed posts about people needing to manually sort out theirs.

cheers guys :)

Hey bud (+ [MENTION=18112]Cogswell[/MENTION]), no need to worry about the week-to-week timetable! You'll be provided with a correct, detailed one as you head into O-Week and beyond. The one shown on SSO is just indicative right now.

Great to have some scarfies making the move up! I'm sure you guys will finally see the greener side (y) Make sure you head to all of the formal academic and introductory sessions during O-Week, I guarantee it'll be a memorable one. Also, try your best to get to as many of the social events – you'll regret not going to them, plus it's a whole lot easier to meet new people!

Uh, I saw the freshers camp list and preparation email, and it seems like way too much for me...

Dress ups? Swimming? dress-up toga party? Torch? Water bottle? Sleeping bag? Raincoat?

Is everything actually really that enforced, or is it relaxed? I'm moving from Dunedin to Auckland, with a limit of 23kg on the plane... like how 'into it' do people get with the dress ups? I don't want to be underdressed, yet I don't want to walk aimlessly around auckland looking for stores that sell costumes to suit my theme.
I can't swim so that's like... yea...

I'll be like the poor kid that's bought nothing, and just leeches off other people :S

The 'Individual gear list' says its based off a 5-day camping schedule, so i don't think we need to bring everything on that list?

Can any third year organisers/helpers comment, [MENTION=17767]Bon[/MENTION] with the last four five questions above? I don't know how to swim either and am not the party type, and the email says that the toga party is "non-optional", is this enforced or can we do what we prefer and not do this sort of stuff if we don't want to? Main thing is there shouldn't be any nudity at the camp, thats my main worry. And will the third years be bringing spare alcohol to share?

Can any third year organisers/helpers comment, @Bon with the last four five questions above? I don't know how to swim either and am not the party type, and the email says that the toga party is "non-optional", is this enforced or can we do what we prefer and not do this sort of stuff if we don't want to? Main thing is there shouldn't be any nudity at the camp, thats my main worry. And will the third years be bringing spare alcohol to share?

I think you're better off addressing those questions (especially your concerns re:swimming and nudity) to the third year reps via email or Facebook. I'm sure they will be happy to talk you through anything you're uneasy about.

What group are you in, by the way? :)

I think you're better off addressing those questions (especially your concerns re:swimming and nudity) to the third year reps via email or Facebook. I'm sure they will be happy to talk you through anything you're uneasy about.

What group are you in, by the way? :)

Cliche I think :) You?

Uh, I saw the freshers camp list and preparation email, and it seems like way too much for me...

Dress ups? Swimming? dress-up toga party? Torch? Water bottle? Sleeping bag? Raincoat?

Is everything actually really that enforced, or is it relaxed? I'm moving from Dunedin to Auckland, with a limit of 23kg on the plane... like how 'into it' do people get with the dress ups? I don't want to be underdressed, yet I don't want to walk aimlessly around auckland looking for stores that sell costumes to suit my theme.
I can't swim so that's like... yea...

I'll be like the poor kid that's bought nothing, and just leeches off other people :S

Dress-ups are just a bit of fun so they're not serious at all. You won't be seen as underdressed at any point so don't worry about this either – cheap costumes or costumes made out of whatever you can put together from stuff at home are absolutely fine. Med students are cheap (legitimately made my toga out of $2/m pink fabric). The costumes will probably get dirty anyways. Torch isn't absolutely necessary – there are lights. Water bottle you'll need for obvious reasons (I don't see how you could question this tbh). Raincoat or something waterproof also for obvious reasons – it could rain, plus it's an hour walk from the ferry to the camp – you can buy really, really cheap ponchos.

If you can't swim that's OK as well! I can't swim. There weren't any compulsory swimming activities last year. There's a beach right next door to the camp so obviously the large majority of people take a dip. My friends actually tried to teach me how to swim hahah.

I think it will be a good time, just gotta relax and take everything as it comes.

Couldn't agree more. I'm not a crazy party type but YOU WILL NOT BE FORCED TO DO ANYTHING. Don't want to drink? That's fine. Don't want to have a dip in the beach? That's also just as cool! Just come with an open mind and make some new friends.

The 'Individual gear list' says its based off a 5-day camping schedule, so i don't think we need to bring everything on that list?

Mmm yeah, I kind of doubt we need 3 jerseys when we're staying on the island for 2 nights in February. :p

Yeah, that list was based off a typical school trip for a week's stay, rather than a weekend. Take what you think would need. It was absolutely beautiful weather last year but bringing something waterproof would be smart, just in case it does rain.

Can any third year organisers/helpers comment, @Bon with the last four five questions above? I don't know how to swim either and am not the party type, and the email says that the toga party is "non-optional", is this enforced or can we do what we prefer and not do this sort of stuff if we don't want to? Main thing is there shouldn't be any nudity at the camp, thats my main worry. And will the third years be bringing spare alcohol to share?
If you don't want to do something, you don't have to. Still not sure about the alcohol, would be best to ask either them or your team leaders (about anything else that worries anybody as well) (yy)

Also: most teams should have received something from their team leaders as well by now! Most likely an invite to a facebook group (so please make sure you're in the class facebook page otherwise it will be very hard to find you), otherwise you'll receive an email at some stage.

Edit: if you're still really worried about a particular issue and can't see a resolution after speaking directly with the class reps, then I'd put out there as an option of absenting from just this weekend :)

Dress-ups are just a bit of fun so they're not serious at all. You won't be seen as underdressed at any point so don't worry about this either – cheap costumes or costumes made out of whatever you can put together from stuff at home are absolutely fine. Med students are cheap (legitimately made my toga out of $2/m pink fabric). The costumes will probably get dirty anyways. Torch isn't absolutely necessary – there are lights. Water bottle you'll need for obvious reasons (I don't see how you could question this tbh). Raincoat or something waterproof also for obvious reasons – it could rain, plus it's an hour walk from the ferry to the camp – you can buy really, really cheap ponchos.

If you can't swim that's OK as well! I can't swim. There weren't any compulsory swimming activities last year. There's a beach right next door to the camp so obviously the large majority of people take a dip. My friends actually tried to teach me how to swim hahah.

Couldn't agree more. I'm not a crazy party type but YOU WILL NOT BE FORCED TO DO ANYTHING. Don't want to drink? That's fine. Don't want to have a dip in the beach? That's also just as cool! Just come with an open mind and make some new friends.

Yeah, that list was based off a typical school trip for a week's stay, rather than a weekend. Take what you think would need. It was absolutely beautiful weather last year but bringing something waterproof would be smart, just in case it does rain.

If you don't want to do something, you don't have to. Still not sure about the alcohol, would be best to ask either them or your team leaders (about anything else that worries anybody as well) (yy)

Also: most teams should have received something from their team leaders as well by now! Most likely an invite to a facebook group (so please make sure you're in the class facebook page otherwise it will be very hard to find you), otherwise you'll receive an email at some stage.

Edit: if you're still really worried about a particular issue and can't see a resolution after speaking directly with the class reps, then I'd put out there as an option of absenting from just this weekend :)

Do we need to bring utensils? And have the reps made sure this year that there won't be nudity? Or at least people not being pressured into undressing which can happen in team scenarios.

Do we need to bring utensils? And have the reps made sure this year that there won't be nudity? Or at least people not being pressured into undressing which can happen in team scenarios.
Why dont you just post in our group? Are you in the facebook group?

Yes, bring utensils to eat with.

The reps cannot ensure anybody from not getting naked? People definitely will not be pressured into undressing – and this has never happened. Whatever has happened in the past, or most probably what you heard may have happene, has occurred under the individual's own free will, choice and consent.

Last edited:
How's everyone getting to Half Moon Bay? I don't have access to a car on that day, and the public transport option apparently involves about four different buses over one and a half hours. <_<

How's everyone getting to Half Moon Bay? I don't have access to a car on that day, and the public transport option apparently involves about four different buses over one and a half hours. <_<

Pretty much all of them only have 2 buses, so only 1 transfer:
https://at.govt.nz/bus-train-ferry/journey-planner/# (Nicholls Lane to Half Moon)

Unless you live far away from the city centre or something, then 4 buses would be a massive pain.

Don't know if that's a good website to use, but I have no idea how Auckland works, coming from Dunedin. And it's only $8, which seems a bit too cheap...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back