Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Auckland MBChB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey squad, I had a yarn to some of the 3rd years, and they said bring twice as much alcohol as you think you'll need. So with regards to keeping the beer etc cold, what's the thinking with chilly bins, cooler bags, sacks of ice etc, anyone bringing those or nah?

Man I'm pumped, how are your guys costumes going?

Hey squad, I had a yarn to some of the 3rd years, and they said bring twice as much alcohol as you think you'll need. So with regards to keeping the beer etc cold, what's the thinking with chilly bins, cooler bags, sacks of ice etc, anyone bringing those or nah?

I think everyone will be bringing chilly bins.
And my group hasn't even talked about costumes.

Maybe you could ask your group? (Our group has a facebook group chat). I'm sure the group leaders will have coolers and stuff like that though, I mean they are the ones encouraging us to bring lots of alcohol, right?

Costume: no idea.
Baked thing to bring: no idea.

I think everyone will be bringing chilly bins.
And my group hasn't even talked about costumes.

Nah our group hasn't talked about much either. Our group leaders has just sent out the 'more information' thing today and none of us know what we're planning to dress up as.

I hope I'm not too underdressed... that would be a bad first impression of med school.

Maybe you could ask your group? (Our group has a facebook group chat). I'm sure the group leaders will have coolers and stuff like that though, I mean they are the ones encouraging us to bring lots of alcohol, right?

Costume: no idea.
Baked thing to bring: no idea.

Nah our group hasn't talked about much either. Our group leaders has just sent out the 'more information' thing today and none of us know what we're planning to dress up as.

I hope I'm not too underdressed... that would be a bad first impression of med school.

Being underdressed with your costume is safer, all the people I know that are going to the camp are going to be wearing only the basics required for their costume because it's not worth your time or money to trying make the costumes elaborate.

Being underdressed with your costume is safer, all the people I know that are going to the camp are going to be wearing only the basics required for their costume because it's not worth your time or money to trying make the costumes elaborate.

I feel like if we're dressing up we may as well go for it. Besides, its pretty easy to make a costume; like mine is a rubbish bag for a top & reusable shopping bag pants. A bit of effort and some stuff I had lying around, hey presto, and the outfit is done.

With baking just whack together some homemade cookies, everyone loves those.

Is anyone else's fb groups silent as the grave?

Our group has one post from one of the leaders, and that's about it.

[MENTION=17767]Bon[/MENTION] or other current 3rd year students, does your academic transcript for year 2 show the grades you got in each individual module (eg musculo A-, POM A) or just your overall GPA for the year (eg mbchb221 - 7.0)?

Hey, this thread seems pretty dead but i'll see if anyone bites...

Can anyone who has finished MBChB II this year comment on your timetable? What was the usual start time each day / finish time / hours per day? How many labs per week? And were lectures recorded / do many people not show up? Cheers :)

I always wished this thread was more active.

There's a fair bit of variation to the timetable depending on the module, but lectures and labs generally followed a weekly schedule.
Mondays: lectures 8am-1pm, with a break 10am-11am
Tuesdays: lectures 9am-1pm, with a break 10am-11am
Wednesdays: cadaver lab from either 9am or 11am
Thursdays: lectures 8am-1pm, with a break 10am-11am
Fridays: microanatomy lab from either 9am or 11:30am (+ an 8am lecture and cadaver lab from either 9am or 11am during the first semester)

On top of that, there were also Small Group Activities and clinical skills sessions - about one afternoon every fortnight each. SGAs and clinical skills sessions are part of the Professional and Clinical Skills module. SGAs are really chill; we learn about stress management, cultural competence, communication skills, these sorts of things. Clinical skills sessions are where we practice stuff like physical exams and patient interviews.

Here's an example of what a week in MBChB II looks like.

>90% of lectures are recorded. The only exceptions are Professional and Clinical Skills lectures and lectures where actual patients come in to tell us their stories. I personally tried not to miss any lectures because I don't work well with lecture recordings, but plenty of people skip lectures. It's like with OLY1 lectures - the lecture theatre is packed at the start of the year, but by the end of second semester whole rows are empty. Some people avoid the early morning by skipping the first 1-2 lectures of the day but turning up to the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back