Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Auckland Medicine Entry Rumours

I was talking to 2nd year med students and they said something about grade boundaries for one of the core papers being increased in 2012 and that the average core GPA for entry was lower than previous years. Does this mean since grade boundaries increased for chem it could potentially lower the av. GPA for entry this year as well?

One more thing - apparently there will be more seats available for the 2013 cohort. I heard it was something close to an extra 30 seats, surely some could be reserved for graduates etc.. does anyone remember/know where the extra seats in 2012 went? My GPA is not the best I just want to clarify some rumours so that I'm more aware of my chances..

They increased the number of places this year to 247 and that's a pretty massive class size, not sure how they'll fit another 30 TBH. The increase in class size is probably the reason for drops in the GPA cut off each year. Auckland doesn't actually reserve any places for grads, they just lump everyone together when selecting people based on their aggregate scores, graduates should perform a lot better in the interviews so that's really the only advantage that you have when applying.

Does anyone know whats the cutoff for Med at Auckland Uni for graduate entry?

In terms of grades you mean?

There is no separate pathway per se so you're competing with everyone else for places, as such your marks, interview and UMAT score are combined and then thrown into the mix along with 1st years then they count off the top 260 places and make offers. You can look in other threads for an idea of GPAs that people who go in had.

In terms of grades you mean?

There is no separate pathway per se so you're competing with everyone else for places, as such your marks, interview and UMAT score are combined and then thrown into the mix along with 1st years then they count off the top 260 places and make offers. You can look in other threads for an idea of GPAs that people who go in had.

Hi xenopus,

Thanks for the info, Do you know how many places available in Medicine at Auckland each year?

I've heard that UMAT papers found online are easier than the actual test. For people who have completed UMAT, does this match your experience?

I've heard that UMAT papers found online are easier than the actual test. For people who have completed UMAT, does this match your experience?
Its just that whilst doing practice papers, you can never truly simulate the time constraint you feel in the exam with everyone else around you etc....that made it a whole lot more difficult for me anyway

Back