Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Contact Hours and Schedule

Parks289

JMP UON 2019-2023
Hi there,
Just wondering what a first year JMP timetable/schedule is like.
I have two children (one in Year 1, and one in Daycare), just trying to establish if they will need care 5 days a week from 8am until 6pm as this will need to be booked well in advance. When I did BioMed I really only had to be at the Uni maybe 15hrs a week max and that was condensed into 2-3 days.
Are lectures recorded and can be watched from home or is the expectation that you will attend in person every time. Obviously my preference would be to physically attend but need to know how much of an issue it would be to not.

Any other insights would be great too.

This question pertains to UoN if that is any help. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m really interested in knowing this too

If I get a spot at UoN I want to know if maybe there’s a day/days of the week where there’s only lectures that we can watch online. That could be some days off uni that would allow me to drive back to Sydney sometimes to spend some time with my fam in person. Or maybe there’s days where there’s one compulsory class early in the morning so I have the rest of the day to myself.

I’ve done some physiology, anatomy (with wet specimens too), neuroscience, pharmacology & other biomed subjects so maybe some of the med sci subjects won’t be too full on for me in first year and this can free up some time

So it might be changing a bit this year as there were a few issues, particularly with anatomy and clinical sessions, but the first year schedule last year looked something like this:

Monday - 1.5 hours anatomy (either 9-10.30 or 10.30-12), then open PBL (either 1-3 or 3-5)
Tuesday - 3-4 biomed sci lectures, usually starting at 9, finished by 3 but varies week by week (recorded so not compulsory)
Wednesday - usually an ethics or public health lecture in the morning (ethics is compulsory) followed by middle PBL from 1-3
Thursday - clincal skills at John Hunter for half a day (morning or afternoon depending on group) once a fortnight. We also had a few placement type things scattered throughout the year that also took place on Thursdays - bit of a pain in the ass so I think this is subject to change. I've heard rumors that clinical will be on campus and possibly weekly?
Friday - close PBL in the morning (8.30-10.30 or 11-1) occasionally followed by a seminar or public health tutorial or other random sessions.

So if you were to attend every class, you'd be on campus more or less full time, with one Thursday off per fortnight. Most days you'd be finished by 3 or earlier. Friday afternoons are usually free but occasionally used to schedule random stuff, and Tuesdays aren't compulsory. It's super variable though and sessions get rescheduled/cancelled all the time.

I wouldn't go booking anything based on this as it could definitely be subject to change, and it also depends on which PBL/clinical group you're in, but hopefully this gives you some idea :)

edit - this is at UoN by the way, no clue about UNE

So it might be changing a bit this year as there were a few issues, particularly with anatomy and clinical sessions, but the first year schedule last year looked something like this:

Monday - 1.5 hours anatomy (either 9-10.30 or 10.30-12), then open PBL (either 1-3 or 3-5)
Tuesday - 3-4 biomed sci lectures, usually starting at 9, finished by 3 but varies week by week (recorded so not compulsory)
Wednesday - usually an ethics or public health lecture in the morning (ethics is compulsory) followed by middle PBL from 1-3
Thursday - clincal skills at John Hunter for half a day (morning or afternoon depending on group) once a fortnight. We also had a few placement type things scattered throughout the year that also took place on Thursdays - bit of a pain in the ass so I think this is subject to change. I've heard rumors that clinical will be on campus and possibly weekly?
Friday - close PBL in the morning (8.30-10.30 or 11-1) occasionally followed by a seminar or public health tutorial or other random sessions.

So if you were to attend every class, you'd be on campus more or less full time, with one Thursday off per fortnight. Most days you'd be finished by 3 or earlier. Friday afternoons are usually free but occasionally used to schedule random stuff, and Tuesdays aren't compulsory. It's super variable though and sessions get rescheduled/cancelled all the time.

I wouldn't go booking anything based on this as it could definitely be subject to change, and it also depends on which PBL/clinical group you're in, but hopefully this gives you some idea :)

edit - this is at UoN by the way, no clue about UNE

Thank you so much :) That is super helpful. Fingers crossed I find out tomorrow that I am in!

For year 1+2 you won't see much of the other campus, we have a couple of videolinked lectures but thats about it.
In 4th and 5th year you are mixed completely when you are sent to clinical schools so you will do everything with them depending on who is allocated to your site. You also get allocated to a research project for 3rd and 4th years which will also have students from both unis in it.

Hard to say. A lot of the classes are compulsory but if you let the course coordinators know early on it shouldn’t matter too much as long as you attend basically everything else. It’s repeat offenders and people who miss huge chunks that are the issue. They’re usually happy for people to catch up whatever they’ve missed within reason so you should be fine as long as you don’t have placements for that week.

Congrats on the offer!

Thursday - clincal skills at John Hunter for half a day (morning or afternoon depending on group) once a fortnight.
Hey would any une students be able to comment on whether first years go to hospitals around the Armidale area for clinical skills?

For UNE students you will do all clin skills in the PBL rooms on campus for year 1 and 2. You won't see much of the hospital until year 3 but will have prac in aged care settings and GP's in year 1 and 2

kinda stupid question but do the lecture halls have easily accessible power plugs, my laptops battery is real bad and I wanna know if I should replace it

Parks289 , may I ask whether you ended up attending UoN this year and if so, how you managed it with your two kids?

I am also hoping to avoid having my kids in daycare every day of the week. Reasons being; A) I'd miss seeing them, B) it would cost an absolute fortune in childcare fees + petrol and C) I'm very capable of keeping up with online lectures.

What has your timetable been like and have you used any occasional care on campus or in the area? Have coordinators/facilitators been understanding of your circumstances?

Hi everyone!

Had a PM enquiring about my current timetable for this year, and if anything had changed. I figured since I'd typed it up already I might as well post it for everyone's reference.
My current 2nd year timetable runs from Thursday > Wednesday:

Thursday
9-12: Histology or Anatomy - split into 2 groups. Anatomy weeks have an hour long while cohort lecture from 9-10, then each group gets 1 hour in the lab. Histo weeks are split where each group gets a half hour mini lecture and then an hour in the lab. Histo labs will almost always finish early
3.30-5.30: PBL Open - start of the patient case for the week. usually around 10 people per group, one person takes the history each week on a rotating roster and you basically just work through the case as a group with a tutor facilitating. Similar to close, will usually go for the full 2 hours.

Friday
Morning usually used for lectures, usually all non compulsory but occasionally there will be a clinical forum or something that you will have to attend, but will usually just be 1-2 hours and the rest of the lectures are recorded so you can watch them at home or over the weekend. Usually the recordings are pretty good, but we also have access to UNEs lecture slides and recordings so they’re a good backup.

I very rarely go on Fridays, and when I do, its only for those occasional compulsory sessions. Most weeks I'm only on campus for 3 days, and they're usually not all full days, plus I catch up on all of my lecture content over the weekend.

Monday
8.30-10: Clinical skills - going through physical exams/history taking for specific presentations, sometimes with sim patients. Used for OSCE practice in the lead up to exams
10.30-12: Middle PBL - we get given a few tasks to consolidate learning with varying degrees of usefulness. Depending on how engaged your PBL group is, you can probably leave early or use the time for revision. No tutor present.

Tuesday
No timetabled class, can be used for placements.

Wednesday
11-1: Close PBL - end of the main case, a few satellite cases. Depends on the tutor and content, but usually lasts the full 2 hours. There's usually something else scheduled for Wednesday afternoons (info sessions, patient forums, etc) but they vary a lot from week to week.

We have about 12 PBL groups (8-10 students per group), and half of the PBL sessions run earlier, half run later. I'm currently in the late session, but if you're in the early session, all your PBL times will be shifted 2-2.5 hours earlier. Occasionally we will also have patient or clinician forums in the afternoon on Monday/Wednesday/Friday which are also compulsory. I also had a 2 day GP placement which I did during the mid year break, and we also had 3 half-day placements in the ED which spanned across a Tuesday/Friday/Saturday of one week (can be flexible if needed).

Hope this is useful 😊

Hi everyone!

Had a PM enquiring about my current timetable for this year, and if anything had changed. I figured since I'd typed it up already I might as well post it for everyone's reference.
My current 2nd year timetable runs from Thursday > Wednesday:

Hope this is useful 😊

Hi, when you said you did midterm GP placements, what year was that and who organised it and how? Thanks.

Back