Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Medicine: Medical Science/MD Provisional Entry Q&A

Sree

How much time do you spend at uni per week/day? Is it possible to hold a part time job while doing this course? (GC campus if it helps) thanks!
yeah its really not bad. I know a lot of people holding part time jobs. Also all the lectures are online, and most people do it that way rather than going to the lectures in person. Compulsory hours are basically just labs and quizzes here and there, max of like 10 hours per week but all the lectures and content are really manageable, especially first year (I am Nathan, and I hear the GC course is a little more intense, but I know GC students who have part time jobs and are coping fine). It is 100% possible though, wouldn't stress about it.

Reactions: KAM

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
How much time do you spend at uni per week/day? Is it possible to hold a part time job while doing this course? (GC campus if it helps) thanks!
Griffith - Foundation Year Health Overview and Q&A I wrote a brief overview for a few of the subjects you'll be doing at the Gold Coast campus in this thread. Honestly, your workload won't be much greater than any other first year university student - yes, you'll be doing 5 subjects instead of the 4 that most full-time students do, however, your stats subject (Introduction to Biomedical Data Analysis) is entirely run online, as are the lectures of the health law subject (which will only have 5 modules if things haven't changed since I went through, as it's actually a 2nd year nursing subject and nursing students go on prac after 5 weeks of the trimester), and if you did chemistry at school then you really won't need to turn up to any of the chem lectures or tutorials unless the topic is one that you think you need a refresher on. As above, the lectures are all available online so these aren't compulsory either. This leaves your only compulsory classes as:

- 3 hour anatomy prac every 2nd week
- 2 hour CTR lab every 2nd week
- 2 hour health law tutorial every week only for weeks 1-5
- 3 hour chem lab every 2nd week

I'd wager that with reasonable timetable organisation, you should only need to go 2-3 days a week (maybe 4 in the weeks where you have multiple labs if you want to attend the lectures face to face), but you'll need to set aside time to keep up to date with your online classes as well as revision etc. You'll figure out what works best for you and which subjects you want to invest your time into attending in-person lectures after a few weeks.

My recommendation would be to enrol and organise your timetable as soon as you've accepted your offer, as classes will fill up very quickly - this will have the biggest effect on how many days you need to go in.

As above, there will be plenty of opportunity for part-time work. It will be hard to pick out which days you'll be available until you've actually enrolled, though.

Keung

Hey! Im gonna start med science at Nathan this year. On their website it said "you will have no breaks between trimesters" what does that mean? Do we get no normal breaks (Easter, winter, Christmas etc)??
Hi, sorry to revive an old post
My son is currently overseas and I have to ask on his behalf.
He got offer for provisional entry to MD at Griffith, Nathan.
We still have holiday commitment in early Feb, 2019.
Can you tell me the starting date of the first semester of the course?
We are coming back to Australia on 14/2/19.

Sree

Hi, sorry to revive an old post
My son is currently overseas and I have to ask on his behalf.
He got offer for provisional entry to MD at Griffith, Nathan.
We still have holiday commitment in early Feb, 2019.
Can you tell me the starting date of the first semester of the course?
We are coming back to Australia on 14/2/19.

It starts back on the 25th of February. However Orientation week starts 18th of february (which i strongly recommend he attends). Looks like your dates are fine! Congratulations to him for the offer :)

Keung

Hi! I was wondering how you found the work load in your first year? How feasible is it to get a GPA of over 6.5? Do you have any tips when it comes to studying at Griffith? Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and assuaging my nervousness of starting uni...
Do you mind to explain why you aim at GPA 6.5 when the requirement to get into MD course is GPA 5. Is it because of the bonded and unbonded place in MD course?
Just asking for my boy who is still overseas.
Just want to clarify the MD requirements for this course. Bit confusing
Thanks

Last edited:

KAM

Lurker
In my experience, trimester one is the easiest. Trimester 2 is the hardest and summer trimester is quiet chill (until the last month where epidemiology kicks in). A gpa of 6.5 is very feasible. Just stay up to date with content and attend PASS sessions which help you revise content covered in the lectures.

To be honest, attend PASS sessions and practise all the exam questions they provide because for anatomy exam the written questions are very similar haha. Exams don't really ask questions to trick students so if you know the content well then you will breeze through the exams.

Most importantly get excited to start you 'medical career' at Griffith and make sure you make the most of your time because time flies very quickly.

Btw which campus are you at?
Hey guys, I'm a 2nd year medical science student at Griffith University - Gold Coast Campus. If you have any questions regarding the course or university experience or anything you have in mind, let me know. :)
Hi I know this is an old post. I am finishing grade 12 this year and planning on applying to Griffith Uni at Nathan (as I live in Brisbane)Just wondering how your medical studies are going and any feedback on Griffith Uni?

I've got a question about provisional med at griffith. So i've heard those around the bottom of the cohort at the end of the 2 years, given they reach the gpa requirement, will be allocated a bmp. What happens if a student from NZ is part of that group seeing as they can't have bmps?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I've got a question about provisional med at griffith. So i've heard those around the bottom of the cohort at the end of the 2 years, given they reach the gpa requirement, will be allocated a bmp. What happens if a student from NZ is part of that group seeing as they can't have bmps?
I’ve always wondered this myself, but I’m guessing they get given a free pass (CSP) in that situation. You could contact the Griffith admissions team to confirm that, though (and if you do, please report back here). :)

I’ve always wondered this myself, but I’m guessing they get given a free pass (CSP) in that situation. You could contact the Griffith admissions team to confirm that, though (and if you do, please report back here). :)
I just called Griffith and they had me talk to a few different people and in the end the person on the phone said that they didn't even know that NZ applicants can't get bmps which is very questionable. Maybe they've never had this case occur in the past :/

Last edited:

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I just called Griffith and they had me talk to a few different people and in the end the person on the phone said that they didn't even know that NZ applicants can't get bumps which is very questionable. Maybe they've never had this case occur in the past :/
I’m concerned (but not surprised) that admissions didn’t have an answer! Thank you for passing that on. :)

Lyyrre

USYD MD I

Hi,

Not admission here, NZ citizens will not be eligible for BMPs. The impression that most of the current cohort have is that the bottom 28.5% of local (domestic) students (that is excluding international and NZ students) will receive a BMP.

eggwah123

Does anyone have any idea of what was the cutoffs for the past few years for Griffith Medical science students (provisional entry to MD) to get a (non-bonded) CSP position in the MD course?
I know it has to be a high GPA, but how high?
I understand that the bottom portion of the students will be allocated a Bonded Medical Place (BMP).
Anyone know what is the percentage? 25% or 28.5%?

iirc, I read somewhere that it is only for school leavers, I can't seem to find that on their site. BMP's are decided at the end of the bachelors based off GPA.
all med schools have 28.5% BMP's (apart from priv ones, like bond)

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Does anyone have any idea of what was the cutoffs for the past few years for Griffith Medical science students (provisional entry to MD) to get a (non-bonded) CSP position in the MD course?
I know it has to be a high GPA, but how high?
I understand that the bottom portion of the students will be allocated a Bonded Medical Place (BMP).
Anyone know what is the percentage? 25% or 28.5%?
I’ve heard the cutoff was about 6.4 but that’s unofficial and I don’t know if the school actually releases the cutoff.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Anyone else heard anything?
Please share
This makes lots of people nervous
Thanks
Worth pointing out that the cutoff is going to change every year depending on the cohort, so relying on past year's data probably isn't going to be particularly helpful for you. You could just contact Griffith directly and ask them - I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem providing this year's cutoff to you if they have it already.

eggwah123

Worth pointing out that the cutoff is going to change every year depending on the cohort, so relying on past year's data probably isn't going to be particularly helpful for you. You could just contact Griffith directly and ask them - I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem providing this year's cutoff to you if they have it already.
That’s true, every year is different. Just want to get an idea of the past cutoffs.
Just wonder anyone in the cohort actually don’t mind BMP and not aiming a high GPA. That would take the pressure off a bit.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
That’s true, every year is different. Just want to get an idea of the past cutoffs.
Just wonder anyone in the cohort actually don’t mind BMP and not aiming a high GPA. That would take the pressure off a bit.
I wouldn't rely on that, particularly not 30% of the cohort - these are all very capable and hard working students with a history of strong academic performance (i.e. high ATAR). I can only advise you to work your hardest and try not to stress about the performance of others, as that's not something you can change. A more drastic measure might be to sit the GAMSAT and see if you can gain a CSP at another graduate entry university, but that's rather extreme if you're happy at Griffith, I think.

A1

Rookie Doc
A more drastic measure might be to sit the GAMSAT and see if you can gain a CSP at another graduate entry university

Not a practical option^ though. The GEMSAS schools that accept Griffith's 2-year accelerated MedSc only allow to apply after you have completed it not during the final year. You'd be applying the year you already started BMP Y1 and signed the contract, unless Griffith allow a gap year.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Not a practical option^ though. The GEMSAS schools that accept Griffith's 2-year accelerated MedSc only allow to apply after you have completed it not during the final year. You'd be applying the year you already started BMP Y1 and signed the contract, unless Griffith allow a gap year.
Yep, but obviously you wouldn't sign the BMP contract if you weren't willing to take up the BMP. Unlike the graduate entry students, Griffith do allow medical science students with provisional entry to take a gap year before they start the MD.