Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Post-UMAT 2018 Debrief Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
To everyone thinking they screwed up massively today,

A similar thing happened to me last year. I felt like crap after the exam and as if I'd just thrown my future down the drain. I literally cried for the next 2 months. More importantly, I let it affect my studying for trials.

I ended up scoring 99th percentile, and all that worrying simply hurt my trials for no reason. So moral of the story is worrying about the exam is the worst thing you can do now. It's done, relax and you'll be good.

maniacfish

My opinion compared to last year: S1 easier, S2 sameish, S3: harder

Also did anyone else feel like they'd seen some of the S2 passages before? not sure where tho. Won't mention specifics as embargo might still be on idk.

Last edited by a moderator:

nts

I found S3 so much harder than any of the prep work I had done (mainly through MedEntry) :(
Interesting, I thought S3 was the only section you could prepare for, especially with a course like MedEntry. Didn't do MedEntry, however, I didn't find the questions insanely difficult though.

Arsene

Lurker
Sup MSO, my opinions:

S1: I had a fair amount of statistics stuff in it, which was pretty doable however some of the more tedious system of rules S1 questions were a bit time consuming and it was probably better to skip them and reallocate time. Overall similar to ME in difficulty but far more stats questions so difficult to compare.

S2: So much less convoluted than ME, however the actually passages and questions were more complex than I was expecting (definitely more complex than the ACER exams). Overall a bit easier than ME (less vocab dense) but still quite stimulating.

S3: Pretty straightforward. Some tricky Qs but if you were familiar with ME, they were OK. Easier than ME imo.

Overall:
In my opinion, it felt like an ME exam far more, and it was similar (if not a bit harder S2 wise) to the Acer Practice Exam 4.

I finished with a 4-5 mins to spare but I also guessed 3 questions.

keksdee

Felt pretty good coming out of the exam.

S1: felt pretty easy compared to ME but again it's my strongest construct - there wasn't any really long annoying passages I think which was good, a lot of data interpretation and problem solving which weren't tooooo bad but there was a few questions I was unsure of.

S2: felt like this was the hardest construct, was quite a few questions where I narrowed it down to 2 options but wasn't sure between them. But there was also many questions where I felt like the correct answer just jumped out at me so that was nice. Maybe 15 questions or so I had down to 2 options and then chose the slightly better one??

S3: Much easier compared to ME this time around, got all of them confidently except maybe 3-4, and of those I narrowed all of them down to 2 options so hopefully my S3 score can be quite high. I felt like there wasn't as many traditional mapping questions, will elaborate more on question types once test-takers are done

Overall: Feeling pretty confident and good about this one, probably only around 30 questions where I was unsure of the answer (picked between 2 options), so feeling a three digit score/134 :)

Reactions: A1

entirety

Wth was section 3??? Why was it so hard? Some patterns seemed to have more than one pattern to me

Let's have a brief discussion of your strategy and time management: did you do sequentially or by sections, in what order, and did you finish in time or had to blind guess a number of (how many) questions at the end etc.
Section by section. Ran out of time and left like 10 UNSHADED BOXES I HATE MYSELF

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrismm

Section by section. Ran out of time and left like 10+ UNSHADED BOXES I HATE MYSELF
To avoid this, I just filled in the remaining boxes within the last 5 minutes and continued working on the questions changing the answers as required.

kei

UoA BSc (Biomed), MBChB II
Section by section. Ran out of time and left like 10+ UNSHADED BOXES I HATE MYSELF
OMG. I DID THE SAME THING. But most of them are from section 1 which I skipped and knew I would get around 7/10 wrong anyway.. but still. sigh.
I was expecting an announcement that we had like 10 or 5 minutes remaining but nope, they just immediately said 'pencils down' when the exam was over. It was still my bad but still. :(

L

Logic

OMG. I DID THE SAME THING. But most of them are from section 1 which I skipped and knew I would get around 7/10 wrong anyway.. but still. sigh.
I was expecting an announcement that we had like 10 or 5 minutes remaining but nope, they just immediately said 'pencils down' when the exam was over. It was still my bad but still. :(
Where did you take the exam? Does anyone else remember getting a warning? (I remember getting one last year although I’m not 100% sure)

kei

UoA BSc (Biomed), MBChB II
Where did you take the exam? Does anyone else remember getting a warning? (I remember getting one last yea ralhough not sure)
Auckland, NZ. I also recall them saying in the announcements that they will give a warning when 90 mins have passed, but they didn't.. not sure if anyone else noticed. I also remember in my last UMAT exam they gave warnings in the last few mins, but I'm not 100% sure since that was two years ago. :( (I'm 100% sure that they didn't give a last 15 min warning this time around though bc I missed so much boxes lol) Maybe I was just used to the way they examine in my university, they always give last 15 min warnings in exams lol that's why I wasn't very mindful of my timing at the end.

entirety

SAME I was expecting a five minute remaining warning, and I took the PM session and didn't know the exact time we'd finish. I just feel like digging a grave at this point.

To all those people who are saying they thought they did bad and ended up doing well... please don't make me hope like that.... it's lowkey giving me hope and I want to be hopeless and then be surprised. Not hopeful then disappointed as shit

Reactions: kei
Status
Not open for further replies.