Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

[Undergrad] The rules with deferring a Medical degree

Igloo1994

Ok guys, so I have received an interstate offer (JCU) but I would really like to defer, redo the UMAT and get into Monash as it is quite expensive to live away from home and I don't want to pressure my parents into it. My question is whether I can defer the JCU offer and apply for Monash because someone said that you can't defer one med school offer and apply for another. If this is true, please tell me where you got the information from (link me :) and that would help me quite a bit as I am really in limbo. Personal experience would be great as well. Thanks

I

iSplicer

Ok guys, so I have received an interstate offer (JCU) but I would really like to defer, redo the UMAT and get into Monash as it is quite expensive to live away from home and I don't want to pressure my parents into it. My question is whether I can defer the JCU offer and apply for Monash because someone said that you can't defer one med school offer and apply for another. If this is true, please tell me where you got the information from (link me :) and that would help me quite a bit as I am really in limbo. Personal experience would be great as well. Thanks

I would NEVER defer an offer from a med school. There is no guarantee about your UMAT performance next year.

jolz

I think James' idea is that if he doesn't perform well in UMAT this year, he still has the deferred med offer for 2012. The deferred place is guaranteed unless the uni is planning to discontinue the course in 2012 (like UWA, special policies apply there).

Hayden

Getting busier
Emeritus Staff
I would NEVER defer an offer from a med school. There is no guarantee about your UMAT performance next year.

But deferring the offer means that if your UMAT doesn't work out well the next time, you still have that original offer to fall back on.

I

iSplicer

But deferring the offer means that if your UMAT doesn't work out well the next time, you still have that original offer to fall back on.

What you're saying is 100% true, the only true downside is the waste of a year. However, you need to write a letter to JCU requesting a deferral.. would saying 'I wanna go Monash insted' cut it, when there are heaps and heaps of students willing to move interstate? Just my 2c.

Havox

Sword and Martini Guy!
Emeritus Staff
Why is it a waste of a year? It gives you the same opportunities as a gap year except you're guaranteed a place in medicine which takes off a lot of the pressure.

I

iSplicer

Why is it a waste of a year? It gives you the same opportunities as a gap year except you're guaranteed a place in medicine which takes off a lot of the pressure.

My bad, we clearly have different definitions of 'waste'. =]

Hayden

Getting busier
Emeritus Staff
What you're saying is 100% true, the only true downside is the waste of a year. However, you need to write a letter to JCU requesting a deferral.. would saying 'I wanna go Monash insted' cut it, when there are heaps and heaps of students willing to move interstate? Just my 2c.

A year isn't wasted just because you're not studying medicine.

ashy

Boo.
Emeritus Staff
I kind of regret not taking a gap year now. In hindsight, would've loved some time to travel and gain some perspective before starting med. Who knows if I'll ever have the chance to take a year off again!

I

iSplicer

A year isn't wasted just because you're not studying medicine.

It is if you're sitting at home hoping for a better UMAT result next year.

However, I'd suggest joining the navy or volunteering for amnesty or something, that might make it worthwhile =)

Havox

Sword and Martini Guy!
Emeritus Staff
I'd pick up the opportunity to travel and see the world alongside spending a few months to make some $$$.

I

iSplicer

Or just get a job...

Nah, taking a year off just to make a few bucks isn't worth it at all imo.. your life is filled with opportunities to make money, time however, is extremely limited! I rather like Havox's idea of travelling, though, that would be awesome =)

Igloo1994

yes that is exactly correct, my rationale is that if I don't get into Monash (screw the UMAT again) I will at least have saved up some money which will allow me to live in Townsville for JCU. Financially I can't afford to go straight up there.

Igloo1994

That is exactly my line of thinking, if I fail the UMAT again I can still go to med school anyway, I may have to live away from home but c'est la vie