Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Transferring to UQ

dent_guy

Hey all

I was hoping someone may know if it is possible to transfer from another dentistry program into UQ Dent? I am currently in 1st year at Griffith and was hoping to transfer to UQ next year or in 2013 (to avoid the huge cost involved with Griffith). Is a transfer possible? would i need UMAT? will i get credit for what i have already done e.g. can i transfer into 2nd or 3rd year or would i go back to 1st year?

Thanks for any help.

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Also is there any differ if i was to apply as a mature age student?

As I understand, no dentistry programs in Australia will let you transfer across/ continue at any time. Ie you can not do Griff 1st year dent then transfer to UQ 2nd year dent. They usually are very strict and will give you a straight out no. You might have to reapply as an undergrad (though check out UQs policy on non standard entry). Also mature age usually does not matter. They might use your GPA from your previous degree but the process is the same.

Good luck.

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Hey all

I was hoping someone may know if it is possible to transfer from another dentistry program into UQ Dent? I am currently in 1st year at Griffith and was hoping to transfer to UQ next year or in 2013 (to avoid the huge cost involved with Griffith). Is a transfer possible? would i need UMAT? will i get credit for what i have already done e.g. can i transfer into 2nd or 3rd year or would i go back to 1st year?

Thanks for any help.

You have to re-apply and meet the GPA & UMAT requirements, You will only receive credit for BIOL1040 & CHEM1020 in first year. All other subjects will have to be taken to move onto second year. Like muse said, UQ does not accept transfers and majority of dental schools don't allow it either.

frootloop

Doctor
I am a dental student enrolled at another University. Can I transfer to the BDSc program at UQ?Dental students from other Australian Dental Schools seeking entry into the BDSc program must apply through QTAC for a quota place. Such students must meet all entry requirements including UMAT and will be assessed in competition with other applicants according to the selection procedures. If accepted, applications for credit transfer will then be considered.

If my application for credit transfer is approved, can I enrol in Year 2 of the program and carry any Year 1 dental courses that I haven’t completed?
Under the program’s progression rules, students are not permitted to progress to a subsequent year in the BDSc program unless they have obtained credit for all compulsory courses in the preceding year.
-UQ website.
To me (correct me if I'm wrong), that looks like as long as the first-year dentistry course overlaps exactly with UQ's (and you have the required UMAT/GPA to gain entry to UQ dent in the first place), then you can transfer...

godoftoast

Señor Member
Emeritus Staff
-UQ website.
To me (correct me if I'm wrong), that looks like as long as the first-year dentistry course overlaps exactly with UQ's (and you have the required UMAT/GPA to gain entry to UQ dent in the first place), then you can transfer...

Yes, but as per Hutch, you won't get 100% overlapping credit since each uni tends to design their courses in their own unique fashion. Hence you will get the BIOL1040 and CHEM1020 credits but they wont likely give you credits for ORAH10XX or whatever the other courses are called. Its the same for med. You can do Monash or UNSW med but you wont get credit for MEDI1000 which is what you need to pass into second year.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads