UCAT: Decision Making

SmartWorker

Considering this question, what would be the quickest approach? I tried calculating the total number of each box and checking that the number is the same as one of the subjects in the information given is the same? (and if it didn't match, cross out the choice) - although takes time to compute, would this approach be the best or trying to solve it?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 2.22.08 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 2.22.08 pm.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 2.22.22 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 2.22.22 pm.png
    48 KB · Views: 15

cocodreams

Considering this question, what would be the quickest approach? I tried calculating the total number of each box and checking that the number is the same as one of the subjects in the information given is the same? (and if it didn't match, cross out the choice) - although takes time to compute, would this approach be the best or trying to solve it?
These are questions that you get quicker at with practice or you have to skip them considering they take a long time to solve

jinjja21

Hi guys
For the past 3 of my mocks, my DM score was exactly "700-900" and I am confused as to how I can interpret it as a range of 200 can affect my overall score largely - any help into the interpretation of this score will be greatly appreciated! :)

LeSpicyGinger

Flinders BClinSci/MD I
Hi guys
For the past 3 of my mocks, my DM score was exactly "700-900" and I am confused as to how I can interpret it as a range of 200 can affect my overall score largely - any help into the interpretation of this score will be greatly appreciated! :)
Well you can estimate by just dividing the number of marks given for all the questions by the total score of 900 and working out a general proportion of your score that was achieved.

E.g.
(25/29)* 900 (I am excluding the additional marks for the TF questions)

The reason you get this proportion (700-900) is that there isn't sufficient data to give you an exact number like with the other sections

jinjja21

Well you can estimate by just dividing the number of marks given for all the questions by the total score of 900 and working out a general proportion of your score that was achieved.

E.g.
(25/29)* 900 (I am excluding the additional marks for the TF questions)

The reason you get this proportion (700-900) is that there isn't sufficient data to give you an exact number like with the other sections
im aware of that method but again, it would just give me an approximate score that lies between 700-900 as those drag and drop questions are worth more and have a significant yield towards the overall score but thank you for the response

ucatboy

MD II
Valued Member
im aware of that method but again, it would just give me an approximate score that lies between 700-900 as those drag and drop questions are worth more and have a significant yield towards the overall score but thank you for the response
If you have the time, count how many drag and drop questions there are in a subtest, multiply that number by 2, then add to that the remaining number of single-mark questions. This will tell you precisely how many marks are available and will slightly vary between mocks (but usually hover around 38-39). Then, count up how many of those marks you managed to get, giving yourself 1 mark for 1-mark questions, 1 mark for partially correct drag-and-drop questions and 2 marks for completely correct drag-and-drop questions. Use the following formula to get a reasonably accurate impression of your score:

300 + 600 x (your mark/total mark)

Last edited:

cocodreams

Hi,
I seem to get confused with these DM questions: XYZ is this or that. Could someone please provide a strategy or way of thinking on how they approach this sort of stem?
1623313946660.png

SmartWorker

Hi,
I seem to get confused with these DM questions: XYZ is this or that. Could someone please provide a strategy or way of thinking on how they approach this sort of stem?
View attachment 4631

I like to visualise whats happening, for example, visualise babies and adult, but also you have to be careful, remember there is often exceptions. Just because babies are young does not mean that anyone that is not a baby cannot be young, like a toddler. So associate what you read to your own context, i find that helps with these types of questions.

Hope it helps :)

cocodreams

I like to visualise whats happening, for example, visualise babies and adult, but also you have to be careful, remember there is often exceptions. Just because babies are young does not mean that anyone that is not a baby cannot be young, like a toddler. So associate what you read to your own context, i find that helps with these types of questions.

Hope it helps :)
Thanks! I will try follow this strategy and think about the exception

garmonbozia

Membered Value
Valued Member
Yes, I draw venn diagrams but I have problems interpreting the actual question, rather than the stem
If you draw the diagram it shouldn't be too hard:
1623412792926.png
1. "Not all young people are necessarily babies". This means "there could be some people who are in the yellow circle but not the orange circle". This is true, because the question has not told us that all young people are babies - it has only told us that all babies are young people, which is not the same thing.
2. "The person is either old or a baby." This means "the person is in one or two of the blue circles, OR they are in the orange circle." This is false, because another option is that they are in the yellow circle - i.e. they are young but not a baby.

(content removed) ‘Some chickens lay eggs. Some eggs are chicken eggs. All chicken eggs have nutrition. Chickens need nutrition to lay eggs’

and the question was
‘Some eggs have nutrition’
The correct answer was ‘yes’, but I believe the answer is no, simply because there is the possibility that all eggs have nutrition. Is this logic incorrect?

Last edited by a moderator:
‘Some chickens lay eggs. Some eggs are chicken eggs. All chicken eggs have nutrition. Chickens need nutrition to lay eggs’

and the question was
‘Some eggs have nutrition’
The correct answer was ‘yes’, but I believe the answer is no, simply because there is the possibility that all eggs have nutrition. Is this logic incorrect?
Yes because you're using information that isn't explicitly stated in the passage. Even though it is true in real life, it hasn't been said in the passage that 'all eggs have nutrition'. We just know that some eggs are chicken eggs and that some eggs have nutrition, therefore some chicken eggs have nutrition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes because you're using information that isn't explicitly stated in the passage. Even though it is true in real life, it hasn't been said in the passage that 'all eggs have nutrition'. We just know that some eggs are chicken eggs and that some chicken eggs have nutrition, therefore some chicken eggs have nutrition.
Maybe so, but there isn’t evidence that some eggs don’t have nutrition either, so therefore we cannot say for certainty, which is what ‘yes’ would imply that some eggs are nutritious because it is possible that all eggs are nutritious and therefore would result in a ‘no’.
ive seen past questions use the same logic too, where we cannot determine with certainty that something is true and thus answer is no

ucatboy

MD II
Valued Member
Maybe so, but there isn’t evidence that some eggs don’t have nutrition either, so therefore we cannot say for certainty, which is what ‘yes’ would imply that some eggs are nutritious because it is possible that all eggs are nutritious and therefore would result in a ‘no’.
ive seen past questions use the same logic too, where we cannot determine with certainty that something is true and thus answer is no
I agree with your reasoning and you would be correct, but if only the question was phrased better. I can see the question maker probably arrvied at their solution by substituting "nutrition" for "chicken eggs" in "some eggs are chicken eggs" because all chicken eggs have nutrition.