Preferred University: Literally anywhere that will take me
Course Type: Medicine
Application type: School leaver
State: NSW
Rural: No
ATSI: No
GWS: No
Other Bonuses: EAS for UAC/QTAC/VTAC, LOTE

I didn't get an interview for UAdel, I'm ineligible for JMP. Anywhere I have a shot or am I destined to go non-standard next year?

Hi I am rural, I got a UMAT Section 1 of 47, section 2 of 55 and section 3 of 61 giving me an overall of 70. My predicted atar is 98. Does that rule me out for JMP?

C

Cookie

Hi I am rural, I got a UMAT Section 1 of 47, section 2 of 55 and section 3 of 61 giving me an overall of 70. My predicted atar is 98. Does that rule me out for JMP?

Unfortunately yes, with your S1 score, since JMP has the 50-50-50 rule for rural applicants.

Unfortunately yes, with your S1 score, since JMP has the 50-50-50 rule for rural applicants.
So I have a chance at any other uni’s such as UWS? Can anyone help out with unis that I might have an interview chance at. I have gotten an interview from CSU but that’s all at this stage...

Sonya Lee

You got ATAR of 99.90 in 2016 and you are on the Gold Coast. Why didn't you study Griffith Med, or Flinders Med, or UMelb Chancellor's program (though need interview later)? Unbelievable that you "waste" a full year to try again ;)
Unfortunately as I have already started a bachelor degree (even if I withdrew after like a month of studying because I hated it), I'm ineligible for Griffith and UQ med, as well as heaps of other universities!! The thing that hurst the most is that had I withdrawn from my course A WEEK earlier (before census date), I would still be considered a school leaver...

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
So I have a chance at any other uni’s such as UWS? Can anyone help out with unis that I might have an interview chance at. I have gotten an interview from CSU but that’s all at this stage...

Even being rural, your UMAT score is not high enough for WSU. Best of luck with your CSU interview. Is that for Dent?

Overall UMAT Score: 166
Section One: 58
Section Two: 53
Section Three: 56
Overall Percentile Rank: 76 (rip)
Estimated ATAR/GPA: 99.50 (achieved in 2016), currently 85 WAM
Preferred University: Any tbh!
Course Type: Both Medicine and Dentistry, but realistically (?) Dentistry
Application type: non-standard but 1st year in undergraduate studies
Rural: No
ATSI: No
GWS: No
Other Bonuses: No

Hi! I'm hoping to apply for any uni that accepts non standard entry into medicine or dentistry, but I know that because I bombed the UMAT, dentistry is currently a more realistic option (also because more universities accept non standard leavers into dentistry than medicine).
Do you think I have any chance at Med at all (other than JCU)? If so, which unis?
Does anyone know about dentistry and what my chances are for getting into undergrad dentistry (eg UQ, Griffith)?
Thank you very much :)

Just wanted to say that I somehow received an interview offer for JMP, despite my s1 score of 58. Which means this year the threshold must've been lowered.
So yeah for those who felt like they didn't do as well as they'd hoped - there's still a chance because numbers shift slightly every year! :)

Last edited:

A1

Rookie Doc
Just wanted to say that I somehow received an interview offer for JMP, despite my s1 score of 58. Which means this year the threshold must've been lowered.

Very strange indeed. I just checked - S1 58 this year is 79%ile, S1 60 my year 2015 was 84%ile, that's a difference of around 1,000 UMAT takers. Either JMP are interviewing a lot more this year, or substantially fewer students sat the UMAT, or JMP has fallen out of favours not as many bother to apply :p

EtA: A fourth possibility: ACER has changed the nature of the questions such that substantially more of the high S1s fail the 50/50/50 rule.

Last edited:

PimpOfRivia

How does JCU decide on giving offers to interviewed candidates? Is it solely based on the interview? Or is it 1/3 int, 1/3 application and 1/3 OP/ATAR/IB?

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

hpfanfiction

Paediatric Healer at St. Mungo's Hospital
Emeritus Staff
How does JCU decide on giving offers to interviewed candidates? Is it solely based on the interview? Or is it 1/3 int, 1/3 application and 1/3 OP/ATAR/IB?
JCU have never disclosed the weighting of rurality (the other important factor)/the interview /ATAR

Yummy

Overall UMAT Score: 186
Section One: 66
Section Two: 49
Section Three: 70
Overall Percentile Rank: 94
Estimated ATAR/GPA: 99.95
Preferred University: UNSW
Application type: school leaver
Rural: no
ATSI: no
GWS: no
Other Bonuses: no
Where do I have a chance? I'm willing to go anywhere pretty much and have lodged applications to them too.

C

Cookie

Overall UMAT Score: 186
Section One: 66
Section Two: 49
Section Three: 70
Overall Percentile Rank: 94
Estimated ATAR/GPA: 99.95
Preferred University: UNSW
Application type: school leaver
Rural: no
ATSI: no
GWS: no
Other Bonuses: no
Where do I have a chance? I'm willing to go anywhere pretty much and have lodged applications to them too.

Have you received a UNSW interview offer today?? Your marks should definitely be sufficient
Due to your Section 2, you won't get offers at: Monash. Newcastle, University of Tasmania, Curtin
But overall, and along with your phenomenal ATAR, you should get interview offers everywhere else. :D

Yummy

Have you received a UNSW interview offer today?? Your marks should definitely be sufficient
Due to your Section 2, you won't get offers at: Monash. Newcastle, University of Tasmania, Curtin
But overall, and along with your phenomenal ATAR, you should get interview offers everywhere else. :D
Only inteview offer I've received is Adelaide. UNSW said I didn't for first round interviews :( got me a bit worried so I decided to post here for some insight :D

A1

Rookie Doc
Only inteview offer I've received is Adelaide. UNSW said I didn't for first round interviews :( got me a bit worried so I decided to post here for some insight :D

Most likely because UNSW didn't receive a predicted ATAR from your school. There were a few cases like that last year.

Yummy

Most likely because UNSW didn't receive a predicted ATAR from your school. There were a few cases like that last year.
I studied overseas and have already graduated this year and the application process involved UAC converting my qualifications to ATAR and the resulting ATAR is supposed to be 99.95 from the info they gave me so idk what the chances are of them not receiving my ATAR as it's not predicted it's actual.

Dan775

I'm in the same situation right now, it looks like they didn't check our UAC applications in case our ATAR was already determined.

A1

Rookie Doc
I studied overseas and have already graduated this year and the application process involved UAC converting my qualifications to ATAR and the resulting ATAR is supposed to be 99.95 from the info they gave me so idk what the chances are of them not receiving my ATAR as it's not predicted it's actual.

In the other thread there are also 2-3 cases of gap year students not receiving an invite. Makes me think UNSW just goes by the "Predicted ATAR" indicator, if it shows not received they will consider you for the January round. Not logical but maybe that's how they've done.

Dan775

Do you think there's any chance that they'd still offer me an interview in the initial round if I clear things up with them since I'm already flying in in November for other interviews?