Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UMAT Workshops, Tutoring, and Prep Programs

zakouma

How much demand is there from high schoolers for private UMAT tutoring? I will potentially be studying in Sydney next year and did respectably in the UMAT, so I was wondering whether any of you had insights on:

A) whether I'd get much business as a one-on-one UMAT tutor, and if so

B) what the going rate is.

Thanks!

There's demand for such classes in every state, and people are willing to pay premium if your credentials are great and if the prize for them is medicine. One tutor in Melb I know of charges $60/hr, but he's been doing this for a few years now.

Woah $60 an hour? That's some decent coin; do you know what sort of qualifications you'd need if you wanted to join one of those tutoring firms instead of going it alone?

Thanks guys; I got 99th percentile so it sounds like this sort of thing might be worth investigating further :)

Hey guys, (my first post here).

I know this is a crappy thing to ask but is there a way I can watch Daniel Mills's paid videos. I want to watch them but I cant pay for it. Any help will be great. Thanks.

I know this is a crappy thing to ask but is there a way I can watch Daniel Mills's paid videos. I want to watch them but I cant pay for it. Any help will be great. Thanks.

Never heard of the guy, sorry. There are some free videos with UMAT help on youtube if you try and there is the MSO question database which you can find the links to in my signature.

I will say that it's probably not a good idea to ask for stolen materials on here (and yes, theft of intellectual property is theft), so any further requests for pirated copyrighted material will result in a ban.

ICanMed has some worked solution videos for free on their sight. Medstart also had video solutions for their papers (but you have to pay :/)

so next year I will be undertaking the workshop. I have looked at various study papers but am wondering if it is worth undertaking a paid workshop to help with the preparations for the exam? I have a GPA of 5.31 so need to get a fairly competitive score to get into medicine at UON or Dentistry. All of my choices will be undergrad. Appreciate any advice.

I have looked at various study papers but am wondering if it is worth undertaking a paid workshop to help with the preparations for the exam?

You won't get consensus on this, some will say yes some no. It depends how much you already know about the test and how "natural" you are to it. The workshop is basically a package of information/advice + a test environment for 3 hours, you can search seek organise all this yourself but it takes time, if you can afford the price then it comes handy in a package.

There isn't a great deal of convincing evidence to support preparation courses in general, let alone two of them that no-one has heard about.

Hello!

I am a Grade 11 student doing the IB Diploma in the UAE. I am an Australian citizen and will be taking the UMAT in 2019, a month after my IB Exams.

I am starting my preparations now with either MedEntry or NIE. My question: is it worth flying all the way from Abu Dhabi to Melbourne for a one-day or two-day workshop? How helpful are they and do they add a lot more value than the online materials?

Lastly, if I do end up coming to Australia in June/July 2018, what other resources are recommended (apart from the two-day workshop) which aren't available online?

There is not a lot of evidence surrounding prep courses. I personally wouldn't fly around the world to attend one of them, but your mileage may vary.

If you were the type to do well in the UMAT regardless then no point flying.
If you aren't, then a 2 day workshop isn't going to be the deciding factor in your UMAT performance - your intrinsic ability will count for way more.

Either way, I wouldn't, but in the end the decision is on you.

Hey there (fellow expat??? I lived in the Middle East for 7 years so if you're also an expat, hi!! If not, hi anyways!)

Although I personally have NOT attended the MedEntry/NIE workshops (I had a tutor instead), I know a lot of people who did. The general consensus was that it was OK but that generally there wasn't really a lot of new content covered. You also did an exam which was marked and gave you a percentage based on how the class did. Honestly, a lot of my friends didn't find it worth the money and they were attending it in their city of residence... no way would I think it was worthwhile on top of a return plane fare as well...

I'd recommend MedEntry online over NIE books/online stuff, though. Having used both MedEntry's LMS and some exams from NIE, NIE can have some really bizarre questions which are either ridiculously easy or just outright impossible in the time frame of the UMAT itself. Medentry is definitely more consistent and better designed imho.

I attended a MedEntry workshop and it was honestly the most useless waste of money and time; it is all a money game. Everything they say is on the website... In fact, the lecturer spends the entire time saying "If you want more information, you can find it online."

I attended a MedEntry workshop and it was honestly the most useless waste of money and time; it is all a money game. Everything they say is on the website... In fact, the lecturer spends the entire time saying "If you want more information, you can find it online."

Seconded, save your money. In addition, all he does is brag how efficacious medentry is the whole time.

Last edited:

Back