UNE/UON JMP hopefuls 2019

Discussion in 'Newcastle / Armidale (UNE)' started by JMP Lova, Mar 23, 2018.

1. JMP Lova

JMP Lova Chronic liar

Med hopeful
    This thread is dedicated to the crazy ones. The rebels. The nonstandards. The troublemakers. The mature aged students. The round pegs in the square holes. The school leavers. The misfits. And to those applying to the JMP.

May the following links be as enlightening to you, as they were to me:

[Applying for Med] FAQs on the Basics

[Undergrad] - UMAT Forum: Table of Contents

[Undergrad] - 2017-18 Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

[Undergrad] - Bonded Medical Places - A Guide

Common pitfalls to avoid for year 12 school leavers and other medicine applicants

Joint Medical Program (JMP)

UNE Accommodation/Colleges

Colleges and Accomodation in Newcastle

And since I’m mindlessly posting links...

JMP Newcastle Course Outlines

http://unemsa.org/s/2018-Fresher-guide.pdf

Edit: In the likely event of confusion, uncertainty, indecision, and hesitance, all JMP aspirants are adviced to communicate with current med students of UON/UNE (LBoG, Syntax, Generic UNE student); who I am sure will be more than willing to answer queries, related to admission.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  2. JMP Lova

JMP Lova Chronic liar

Med hopeful
  3. A1

A1 Admissions Speculator Moderator

UWA MD
    To be fair to other med schools you should do one like this for each and every med school.
    Not just for JMP because you are JMP Lova haha!

JMP Lova likes this.
  4. Michael Balfour

Michael Balfour New Member

It appears that UoN/UNE JMP only look at your GPA for your last completed degree? (Academic eligibility). This is probably a serious problem for me because I have a BSc in chemistry (GPA 4.9375, 2006), BSc Honours Class 1 in chemistry (GPA 6.25, completed 2007), PhD in chemistry (GPA 7, completed 2013), and a Master of Intellectual Property (MIP degree) (GPA 2.88/4.00 which may be equivalent to 5.04/7, completed 2017). I am now really kicking myself for doing the MIP degree because it appears to have wiped out the GPA 7 from my PhD. The irony is that if I had left the MIP incomplete or not even done it then it would be easy to get into medicine GPA wise. I am actually being penalized for completing a degree and not being a drop out. Medicine has always been a parallel interest of mine alongside chemistry but I kept putting medicine in the too hard basket because of the GAMSAT/UMAT, and interview requirements. Do I still stand a chance of getting an interview, assuming I get a good UMAT result? Does UoN/UNE JMP have any other GPA rules that might be favourable to me?

5. A1

UWA MD
    JMP requires "Better than Pass" for a completed Bachelor degree. We've heard that's about 4.3 so you should have no problem whichever of your degrees they take.

6. Michael Balfour

Michael Balfour New Member

Thank you for that. But there is still the possibility that lots of people with a higher GPA will apply and they will get an interview and I will miss out. The "better than pass for a completed degree" might just be a bare minimum, and that the real cut off, competitiveness wise, might be 6.5. Has anyone heard of someone with GPA 5.04/7 or thereabouts getting an interview at UoN/UNE JMP?

7. LMG!

LMG! Moderator (UTAS MBBS) Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
    As mentioned in many places here at MSO, JMP interviews are based ENTIRELY on UMAT performance. Your GPA is irrelevant for interview invite.

2018 Entry Interview Invites - Collated

8. A1

UWA MD
    You must have missed one of my earlier replies. True many schools state a minimum ATAR/GPA requirement that's barely competitive, however it's a hurdle at JMP meaning once you are over the hurdle it no longer matters (other than when a tiebreak is needed).

9. Syntax

Syntax BMedSci/MD-JMP II UoN

To further what the others have said Michael, and to ameliorate any doubt that might still be in your head, I can confirm from personal experience that GPA means absolutely nothing assuming you have completed and passed a degree. A GPA of 5.04 will make you no less competitive than someone with a 7 for entry into the JMP. Mine was only in the '5s' for my application and it was basically tossed to the side once they saw that I had fulfilled the requirement.

10. Q3

Q3 Regular Member

It is 4.7 minimum GPA.

Edit: 4.7 for incomplete degree and 4.3 for completed degree.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  11. Panda111

Panda111 WSU MD I

Is this GPA just a threshold? Or do they take it into account in any other way?

12. Crow

Crow Moderator (Griffith MD) Most Active 2018

It’s a hurdle requirement only. Once you’ve received an interview the place offers are 100% based on interview performance (with UMAT being used as a tiebreaker if necessary).

Panda111 likes this.
  13. H_______

H_______ New Member

Dumb question, do I need to apply to both UON and UNE for JMP, or is one enough as long as both are in my UAC preferences?

14. LMG!

LMG! Moderator (UTAS MBBS) Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
    You apply to JMP, not to either UoN or UNE. From memory, the JMP application is on the UoN website. In this JMP application, you can state a preference for campus, but they are not seperate applications. You also apply to JMP on the UAC website, not the individual unis. It will probably make more sense once you're looking at UAC.

(caveat: unless things have changed since last year!)

15. cook

cook New Member

are a lot of JMP students at UNE non school leavers? (like over 18-19)

16. A1

UWA MD
    Not sure about UNE, insiders say there are more NSLs than SLs at UoN & WSU. We speculated since place offers are 100% weighted on the interview more matured applicants tend to do better.

17. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    Can confirm I’ve heard from two sources (though don’t know first hand) that more UNE students going into first year have done at least one year of Uni than there are school leavers.

iStudent likes this.
  18. Ri97

Ri97 serial tea drinker

Can confirm that this is NOT the case. There are almost equal numbers, if not more school leavers than non standard/mature students.

19. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    Ooh, interesting. Admittedly, the two people I know are not in first year, so potentially there’s been a shift at UNE? Or it fluctuates year to year?

20. live1234

live1234 New Member

With a UMAT section 1 of 60 and >50 in the other two sections, can I rest assured of there being an interview offer? Stressing out rn, the wait is killing me

drpkjr likes this.