Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UWS Advanced Science as a pathway into UWS Medicine?

Hi Everyone! I'm new on here and I was hoping that someone would tell me about Advanced Science at UWS.
A family friend of mine suggested I take it, because my UMAT was pretty bad but I truly want to go into Medicine.

I just don't understand how it all works. I understand you need a GPA greater than 5.0 but is there a chance to sit UMAT again?

Honestly, I would truly appreciate someone to tell me the basics of Advanced Science.

Thankyou, and I hope everyone is having a great day!:lol:

Hi Everyone! I'm new on here and I was hoping that someone would tell me about Advanced Science at UWS.
A family friend of mine suggested I take it, because my UMAT was pretty bad but I truly want to go into Medicine.

I just don't understand how it all works. I understand you need a GPA greater than 5.0 but is there a chance to sit UMAT again?

Honestly, I would truly appreciate someone to tell me the basics of Advanced Science.

Thankyou, and I hope everyone is having a great day!:lol:

Welcome to MSO!
I'm currently a first year Advanced Science student at the Parramatta Campus, so hopefully I can shed some light on the course.

Firstly, there are six places set aside for students at UWS studying Advanced Science, Medical Science (Advanced) and Natural Science (Advanced). Students studying these courses must first meet an academic threshold of 5.5 after the first year of tertiary study to be eligible for the transfer into Medicine. As a 5.5 is quite easy and achievable - student's are then ranked by weighted UMAT score to determine who are the top 6.
That is, virtually 100% of students should make the 5.5 GPA, and thus the top 6 places are basically completely ranked off UMAT scores.
It is important to note that the top 6 are only granted interviews and not guaranteed positions into Medicine.
Once an interview has been granted, the "top 6" students are viewed as any other applicant.

So to answer your question:

Yes, sit the UMAT next year! From next year onwards, UMAT scores will only be valid for the year the test has been taken.

In my opinion, the Advanced Science course at UWS is great! Not to sound big-headed or anything, but the course is particularly easy. In fact, the Advanced Science course is identical to a regular Science course in first year (cut off of only 70). I managed to attain a 7.0 GPA with minimal study in first semester. So it's great if your considering postgraduate medicine as it is quite achievable to aim for a high GPA at UWS. There is no bell curve grading system, so the competition isn't very fierce.

Also, another thing that I forgot to mention (and I'm in the process of clarifying this with UWS Medicine), but I'm quite sure that the top 6 places available for AdvSci/Med transfer are given to students BELOW the cut-off. That is, if students in Advanced Science obtain UMAT marks that would see them gain an interview regardless of the Advanced Science pathway, they will not be counted as one of the six students. So, theoretically ALL of the 6 places should be given to students below the year's UMAT cutoff.

Any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Don't give up hope =).

Welcome to MSO!
I'm currently a first year Advanced Science student at the Parramatta Campus, so hopefully I can shed some light on the course.

Firstly, there are six places set aside for students at UWS studying Advanced Science, Medical Science (Advanced) and Natural Science (Advanced). Students studying these courses must first meet an academic threshold of 5.5 after the first year of tertiary study to be eligible for the transfer into Medicine. As a 5.5 is quite easy and achievable - student's are then ranked by weighted UMAT score to determine who are the top 6.
That is, virtually 100% of students should make the 5.5 GPA, and thus the top 6 places are basically completely ranked off UMAT scores.
It is important to note that the top 6 are only granted interviews and not guaranteed positions into Medicine.
Once an interview has been granted, the "top 6" students are viewed as any other applicant.

So to answer your question:

Yes, sit the UMAT next year! From next year onwards, UMAT scores will only be valid for the year the test has been taken.

In my opinion, the Advanced Science course at UWS is great! Not to sound big-headed or anything, but the course is particularly easy. In fact, the Advanced Science course is identical to a regular Science course in first year (cut off of only 70). I managed to attain a 7.0 GPA with minimal study in first semester. So it's great if your considering postgraduate medicine as it is quite achievable to aim for a high GPA at UWS. There is no bell curve grading system, so the competition isn't very fierce.

Also, another thing that I forgot to mention (and I'm in the process of clarifying this with UWS Medicine), but I'm quite sure that the top 6 places available for AdvSci/Med transfer are given to students BELOW the cut-off. That is, if students in Advanced Science obtain UMAT marks that would see them gain an interview regardless of the Advanced Science pathway, they will not be counted as one of the six students. So, theoretically ALL of the 6 places should be given to students below the year's UMAT cutoff.

Any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Don't give up hope =).

You are wonderful! Thankyou for taking the time to reply! :)

Just a few questions:

1. So the applicants are based on their GPA (>5.5) and their UMAT Result to get an interview?
2. What do you think the UMAT result should be to be applicable, would you say around 85+ percentile?
3. Weird question, but how long does the semester go for? I heard you do the first semester and then transfer into Medicine?

Sorry, I am still unaware about how Uni works and everything like that!

You are wonderful! Thankyou for taking the time to reply! :)

Just a few questions:

1. So the applicants are based on their GPA (>5.5) and their UMAT Result to get an interview?
2. What do you think the UMAT result should be to be applicable, would you say around 85+ percentile?
3. Weird question, but how long does the semester go for? I heard you do the first semester and then transfer into Medicine?

Sorry, I am still unaware about how Uni works and everything like that!

No worries, always willing to help out other Med hopefuls. I was in the exact same position last year (and still am this year, haha).

1. Yes, however as I said in the above post - every student WILL/should make the GPA threshold. So really, it's only UMAT results. Having a GPA of 7.0 compared to a 5.6 will give you no added benefit when applying for UWS Medicine through this pathway. It's just a threshold.

2. When considering UWS Medicine, don't look at UMAT results with percentiles - look at your weighted mark. (S1+S2+S3/2). Assuming that the cut off doesn't change from last year (149), I'd hope that anywhere around a 145+ would be competitive. But I have no idea - I'm just speculating. UWS introduced two new Advanced courses this year (Adv Med Sci and Adv Nat Sci) so I'm expecting competition to increase from this year onwards.

3. The semester is the same as all other Universities. Two 14 week semesters + examinations. No, if you only completed first semester, you would have no UMAT result. You complete 1 whole year of Advanced Science and apply via UAC and the UWS Medicine page just like normal school leavers.

No worries, always willing to help out other Med hopefuls. I was in the exact same position last year (and still am this year, haha).

1. Yes, however as I said in the above post - every student WILL/should make the GPA threshold. So really, it's only UMAT results. Having a GPA of 7.0 compared to a 5.6 will give you no added benefit when applying for UWS Medicine through this pathway. It's just a threshold.

2. When considering UWS Medicine, don't look at UMAT results with percentiles - look at your weighted mark. (S1+S2+S3/2). Assuming that the cut off doesn't change from last year (149), I'd hope that anywhere around a 145+ would be competitive. But I have no idea - I'm just speculating. UWS introduced two new Advanced courses this year (Adv Med Sci and Adv Nat Sci) so I'm expecting competition to increase from this year onwards.

3. The semester is the same as all other Universities. Two 14 week semesters + examinations. No, if you only completed first semester, you would have no UMAT result. You complete 1 whole year of Advanced Science and apply via UAC and the UWS Medicine page just like normal school leavers.

Wow, I thought it was just the first semester! A whole year? How is it going for you? Did you get your UMAT result! I hope you get into Medicine :)

Ok, I just need a bit of advice.
Would you suggest I do Advanced Science or Medical Science (Advanced)? Which two progtams did you choose for Advanced Science?

Thankyou again! I'm in a moment of desperation, my UMAT result was horrible, and my dream is Medicine, so I am a bit dissapointed in myself! :(

Wow, I thought it was just the first semester! A whole year? How is it going for you? Did you get your UMAT result! I hope you get into Medicine :)

Ok, I just need a bit of advice.
Would you suggest I do Advanced Science or Medical Science (Advanced)? Which two progtams did you choose for Advanced Science?

Thankyou again! I'm in a moment of desperation, my UMAT result was horrible, and my dream is Medicine, so I am a bit dissapointed in myself! :(

Yeah, a whole year, haha! It goes very fast. It's going good. First year of UWS Adv Sci is very easy. If you attain an ATAR >95 I'm sure you'll have to problems getting a GPA greater than 6.5.
Yes, I got my UMAT result and to be honest I'm holding onto the smallest chance that I might gain an interview to UWS through the Adv Sci pathway. My UMAT was okay, but not greater than 149. I'm hopeful for a JMP interview spot though, as I surpassed last year's cut off.

What ATAR are you predicting? Where are you located?
I chose Advanced Science over Med Sci (Adv) just purely because of location. Med Sci (Adv) is only located at the Campbelltown campus, but I live about 10 minutes away from the Parramatta campus, so I chose that.
I'm doing Molecular Biology and Biochemistry. But it doesn't really matter what you choose - just choose a program that you know you can excel at. At the end of the day, I have absolutely no plans to become a scientist and use this degree. It is purely just a means of a) transferring into UWS Medicine, b) completing a degree with a high GPA for postgraduate medicine entry

I know how you feel. But don't give up hope. It is quite normal to not do as well in a first attempt at the UMAT. For me, the whole pressure last year was overwhelming. This year, I regained focus, realised the true nature of my desire to become a medical practitioner and went in there with a calm mindset. There are so many ways to get into Medicine, so don't ever give up hope if it's truly what you want to do.

How difficult is it to be top 6? Like around what GPA would you need?

Also are there any other criteria that you have to meet in the Adv Science course which makes you eligible for the interview?

How difficult is it to be top 6? Like around what GPA would you need?

Also are there any other criteria that you have to meet in the Adv Science course which makes you eligible for the interview?

Please read above, I already addressed the GPA. It's a 5.5 threshold.

No, just GPA of 5.5 and UMAT. There used to be activities and meeting that you had to attend, but they are no longer compulsory this year. I'm not sure what the requirements will be next year or if they will reintroduce those activities.

Please read above, I already addressed the GPA. It's a 5.5 threshold.

No, just GPA of 5.5 and UMAT. There used to be activities and meeting that you had to attend, but they are no longer compulsory this year. I'm not sure what the requirements will be next year or if they will reintroduce those activities.

Okay. But i've read that people that are not top 6 but that got a GPA of 5.5+ and a really good UMAT got an interview. Also I know a friend of mine that was top 6 but his UMAT was >80 and got an interview.

Okay. But i've read that people that are not top 6 but that got a GPA of 5.5+ and a really good UMAT got an interview. Also I know a friend of mine that was top 6 but his UMAT was >80 and got an interview.

Of course, if you get a really good UMAT and surpass the cut off then your going to get an interview, regardless if you did Adv Sci or not.

"Also I know a friend of mine that was top 6 but his UMAT was >80 and got an interview." So?

Of course, if you get a really good UMAT and surpass the cut off then your going to get an interview, regardless if you did Adv Sci or not.

"Also I know a friend of mine that was top 6 but his UMAT was >80 and got an interview." So?

So i'm just asking whether if you need a really high umat to get an interview as long as you're in the top 6 of the course.

So i'm just asking whether if you need a really high umat to get an interview as long as you're in the top 6 of the course.

Please read my first main post.
The GPA is a threshold! That is, you only need 5.5. There is no difference between having a 7.0 and a 5.5.
Top 6 does not mean the highest GPA. Top 6 is essentially ranked by UMAT.
So yes, you did need a good UMAT. I don't know what you classify as really high.
But you need a UMAT score which is top 6 out of how many do the course.

Please read my first main post.
The GPA is a threshold! That is, you only need 5.5. There is no difference between having a 7.0 and a 5.5.
Top 6 does not mean the highest GPA. Top 6 is essentially ranked by UMAT.
So yes, you did need a good UMAT. I don't know what you classify as really high.
But you need a UMAT score which is top 6 out of how many do the course.

Oh okay. Thank you very much!

Yeah, a whole year, haha! It goes very fast. It's going good. First year of UWS Adv Sci is very easy. If you attain an ATAR >95 I'm sure you'll have to problems getting a GPA greater than 6.5.
Yes, I got my UMAT result and to be honest I'm holding onto the smallest chance that I might gain an interview to UWS through the Adv Sci pathway. My UMAT was okay, but not greater than 149. I'm hopeful for a JMP interview spot though, as I surpassed last year's cut off.

What ATAR are you predicting? Where are you located?
I chose Advanced Science over Med Sci (Adv) just purely because of location. Med Sci (Adv) is only located at the Campbelltown campus, but I live about 10 minutes away from the Parramatta campus, so I chose that.
I'm doing Molecular Biology and Biochemistry. But it doesn't really matter what you choose - just choose a program that you know you can excel at. At the end of the day, I have absolutely no plans to become a scientist and use this degree. It is purely just a means of a) transferring into UWS Medicine, b) completing a degree with a high GPA for postgraduate medicine entry

I know how you feel. But don't give up hope. It is quite normal to not do as well in a first attempt at the UMAT. For me, the whole pressure last year was overwhelming. This year, I regained focus, realised the true nature of my desire to become a medical practitioner and went in there with a calm mindset. There are so many ways to get into Medicine, so don't ever give up hope if it's truly what you want to do.

Again, thankyou so much! You are actually putting me at ease right now :)

Anyways, would you recommend that I take this path? In all honesty?
I enjoy science considering that I currently do Chemistry and Biology and my UMAT is probably the reason why I won't be given an interview, as my predicted atar is around 95 (not big-headed, just stating :))

So, would you say I should aim into getting into this course to get into medicine? Thankyou again!

Again, thankyou so much! You are actually putting me at ease right now :)

Anyways, would you recommend that I take this path? In all honesty?
I enjoy science considering that I currently do Chemistry and Biology and my UMAT is probably the reason why I won't be given an interview, as my predicted atar is around 95 (not big-headed, just stating :))

So, would you say I should aim into getting into this course to get into medicine? Thankyou again!

Where abouts do you live?
I think that should have some bearing on whether or not you choose UWS.

But yeah, there are quite a few benefits of the course. I think that if you can comfortably attain a >95 ATAR, you should somewhat comfortably be able to attain a >6.5 GPA during first year, at least. I managed a 7.0 GPA first semester and I got an ATAR of 98.75 with a 96 in HSC Biology and 93 in HSC Chemistry last year if that's any indication. The 5k/year scholarship is also quite a nice incentive.
IF medicine is truly the ONLY course you desire, then I think it is a good option to take.
I don't want my words to "put you at too much ease".. it is still competitive and at the end of the day you WILL have to redo the UMAT and produce a competitive score. But in terms of having a degree that should help you graduate with a competitive GPA for postgraduate medicine schools it's great.

I think that you should aim for non-UMAT schools right now - e.g. JCU. But in terms of Medicine "back-up" plans - comparing courses like Med Sci @ UNSW to Adv Sci @ UWS. I believe that I made the correct choice last year choosing Adv Sci @ UWS. But at the end of the day, the choice is yours. I wouldn't want to influence your decision too much. One negative I will say is that the social life at UWS isn't particularly great - but it's really up to the individual to make the most of it if they choose to.

Where abouts do you live?
I think that should have some bearing on whether or not you choose UWS.

But yeah, there are quite a few benefits of the course. I think that if you can comfortably attain a >95 ATAR, you should somewhat comfortably be able to attain a >6.5 GPA during first year, at least. I managed a 7.0 GPA first semester and I got an ATAR of 98.75 with a 96 in HSC Biology and 93 in HSC Chemistry last year if that's any indication. The 5k/year scholarship is also quite a nice incentive.
IF medicine is truly the ONLY course you desire, then I think it is a good option to take.
I don't want my words to "put you at too much ease".. it is still competitive and at the end of the day you WILL have to redo the UMAT and produce a competitive score. But in terms of having a degree that should help you graduate with a competitive GPA for postgraduate medicine schools it's great.

I think that you should aim for non-UMAT schools right now - e.g. JCU. But in terms of Medicine "back-up" plans - comparing courses like Med Sci @ UNSW to Adv Sci @ UWS. I believe that I made the correct choice last year choosing Adv Sci @ UWS. But at the end of the day, the choice is yours. I wouldn't want to influence your decision too much. One negative I will say is that the social life at UWS isn't particularly great - but it's really up to the individual to make the most of it if they choose to.

I live in Penrith, so UWS is definitely positive in location wise.
I think I'll probably decide doing either Advanced Science, or Advanced Medical Science under the fact that I honestly have no other option. HAHA, i just want to do medicine, that's it :L
Anyway, I'm willing to do UMAT again, and attain a well GPA and be in competition so I have a chance in medicine :)

I hope everything goes well for you and that your goodness to talk to me about this provides you with good karma to get into Medicine as you desired! :)

I live in Penrith, so UWS is definitely positive in location wise.
I think I'll probably decide doing either Advanced Science, or Advanced Medical Science under the fact that I honestly have no other option. HAHA, i just want to do medicine, that's it :L
Anyway, I'm willing to do UMAT again, and attain a well GPA and be in competition so I have a chance in medicine :)

I hope everything goes well for you and that your goodness to talk to me about this provides you with good karma to get into Medicine as you desired! :)

Ah okay, yeah. Well, Advanced Medical Science would be at Campbelltown - and that would be exceptionally far for you to travel to. But Advanced Science at Parramatta would be suitable - same course and location as what I'm currently doing.

Yes, work on your UMAT. At the end of the day, that's the only thing that really matters in terms of undergraduate entry into medicine as attaining a GPA above the threshold is very doable. GPA only really plays importance for graduate medicine schools.

Thank you for the encouragement. :)

Hi, Applicants who complete the first year (full time) of either the UWS Bachelor of Science (Advanced) or the UWS Bachelor of Medical Science (Advanced) will be considered for an interview if they achieve a GPA of 5.5 or more at the end of the first year and have a total percentile of 50 or more in UMAT. There are a total of six spaces available for interview in this category (six in total, not six per course). If there are more eligible applicants than there are interview places, applicants will be ranked using their UMAT total percentile. If you are unhappy with your UMAT result, you can opt to re-sit the test next year. UWS will then look at those UMAT results instead. If you have any further enquiries, please contact the Course Information Line on 1300 897 669 or on [email protected]. Best regards, UWS Course Info.

What about Bachelor of Natural Science (Advanced)?

Hi, There is no pathway into the Medicine program via the Bachelor of Natural Science (Advanced) course. However, if you choose to study this course, you can still apply for admission into Medicine provided you obtain the required GPA and UMAT results. We would then use your GPA and UMAT to determine if you will receive an invitation to the interview, and we will use your interview performance to determine if you will receive an offer. For more information on the Medicine admission process, please contact the Course Information team on 1300 897 669 or on [email protected]. Best regards, UWS Course Info.

Back