Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

2011 HSFY Medicine Waitlist Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats not really a statistic that is released, and too hard to find out :/

Interesting - do you know how many accepted offers overseas last year (HSFY only)
Wouldn't have a clue, sorry, although anecdotally there are more Australians than people realise in HSFY, and I'm willing to bet at least a few of them get in as non-standards back home and reject their Otago offers.

[offtopic]New here, though I have to admit to lurking a wee bit. I'm waitlisted for med on 78.8, though by the rumours going around in the forums I may still have a shot at getting in?[/offtopic]

Do the waitlist acceptance emails come one by one, or will they wait until a certain date before revealing who has been accepted from waitlist? If there is a set date, does anyone know what it is? And will we be notified by email or will we need to call admissions to find out? Sorry for the stupid questions!

[offtopic]New here, though I have to admit to lurking a wee bit. I'm waitlisted for med on 78.8, though by the rumours going around in the forums I may still have a shot at getting in?[/offtopic]

Do the waitlist acceptance emails come one by one, or will they wait until a certain date before revealing who has been accepted from waitlist? If there is a set date, does anyone know what it is? And will we be notified by email or will we need to call admissions to find out? Sorry for the stupid questions!
Hi! Welcome to MSO :)
Yes, the cut-off this year seems to have been around 78.9, so 0.1 lower than that has a high chance of a waitlist offer.
Erm, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they make one 'second-round' bulk-offer once they come back from their Christmas holidays, and find out who accepted/rejected what, so they know how many extra offers can be made (anecdote: I personally know 2 people who have rejected med for dent, so there's two free places just from my friends, lol). After that, it's drip-fed as spots become available (people changing their minds, getting into other courses, etc). From memory the main block of second-round offers are ~15th Jan (?), with drip-fed offers pretty much up until classes start (and theoretically up to a month into classes!)
And I'd imagine they'll email you, I doubt they'd want the entire waitlist ringing them every 5 minutes :p

Hi! Welcome to MSO :)
Yes, the cut-off this year seems to have been around 78.9, so 0.1 lower than that has a high chance of a waitlist offer.

Thank you for this.
Just wanted to check, using your approx figures above (78.9 & 0.1) those on the wait list with a ranking score of 78.8 or higher have a high chance of an offer. Drat - 78.75 so close

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for this.
Just wanted to check, using your approx figures above (78.9 & 0.1) those on the wait list with a ranking score of 78.8 or higher have a high chance of an offer. Drat - 78.75 so close
Erm, as per greenglacier above, I'd imagine that 78.75 has a really good chance as well. Personally I'd speculate (read: speculate, I'm pulling stuff out of my ass here) that anyone ~78 is in with a reasonable shot, from the few anecdotes I've heard, people seem to underestimate how much the waitlist drops the cut-off. For people >77.5, I'd seriously think about a plan B, but don't lose all hope just yet, you could be surprised...

Surely they wouldnt have heaps of people waitlisted for no reason...wasnt there someone with a waitlist offer of 77.7? Wouldnt that mean people with a bit more than just 0.1 would have a good chance of getting an offer? Because i mean they waitlisted someone with 1.1 lower than the approx cut off

[MENTION=13328]coolplay78[/MENTION], I agree. However it's still only dealing in chances, so it'd be wise for anyone on the waitlist to assume (for the purposes of planning next year) that they won't be getting an offer. (but be prepared to be pleasantly surprised)

Thanks for the welcome and the quick answer, frootloop! (Sorry, I haven't quite figured out how to do all the tricky coding tag stuff yet...) I guess I'll just have to cross my fingers in the meantime, and apply for a contingency course. All the best to other waitlistees. :(

Surely they wouldnt have heaps of people waitlisted for no reason...wasnt there someone with a waitlist offer of 77.7? Wouldnt that mean people with a bit more than just 0.1 would have a good chance of getting an offer? Because i mean they waitlisted someone with 1.1 lower than the approx cut off
Exactly. But, as per greenglacier, nothing is certain, so you're best to enrol under your plan B for now, then cross your fingers and hope for the best in January :)
Thanks for the welcome and the quick answer, frootloop! (Sorry, I haven't quite figured out how to do all the tricky coding tag stuff yet...) I guess I'll just have to cross my fingers in the meantime, and apply for a contingency course. All the best to other waitlistees. :(
Tagging is just '@' followed by the person's username :p
And good luck!

A few things about the the wait list. I got an offer for medicine on January 21st 2010 and my rank score was 76.99 (using .34 for umat and .66 for grades). The cut - off for direct entry in my year was between 77.2-77.5. I was told by one of the admission staff that for 2009 entry there where around 15 people who got an offer off the wait list (not sure if she was talking about HSFY or HSFY and PGs). When I called them up to ask if HSFY and PGs had separate wait lists the receptionist said that she was "seeing one list in front of her" I found this to be pretty strange because the two categories are obviously not comparable. I can also say that the wait list was not exhausted in my year as I personally know two people who got on the wait list but didn't get in. In my year there were two main rounds of offer on the 21st of January (one in the morning and another one in the afternoon) after this it's pretty likely that offers trickled down one by one.

Just hang in there. Some people actually want Dent more than Med.

I was talking specifically about my year coolplay 78 Im sure there are huge variations and of course dent is a popular choice too. Furthermore there will be people declining med for other prof courses such as pharmacy (yes I do know of a few cases). Generally speaking most people get an offer of the med wait list (so I've herd). In my year direct offers were between 77.2-77.5 and wait list went down to around 76.0ish just to give some perspective. I think it is very wise to think of a good plan B but at the same time be optimistic (at least until wait list offers come out). If things don't go your way just remember you were good enough to get on the med wait list out of health sci which means you will be amongst the top grad students. Hope this helps a little bit.... After reading my first post I think I might have made things a lot worse than it actually is, I sincerely apologize.

Last edited:
Thanks @gtr8 yes helps a bit, but I guess we will just have to wait and see and hope for things working out!! good luck to all the other waitlistees :D

Thought id let people know, I was told if you call up admissions, you are told if you are in the top 20 on the waitlist or not...not sure if theyve done this in the past but they are now!

Last edited by a moderator:

Would anyone in the top 20 be willing to share their ranking score?
I'm not sure how meaningful it would be to get those people to share their ranking scores, since we *do* have the cutoff pinned between 78.92 and 78.85, so chances are the said top 20 would be close-ish to that.

EDIT: In fact, I'd bet 78.85 is one of the said top 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back