Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Can I undertake postgraduate qualification(s) to increase my GPA?

Hi,

Welcome to MSO!

You still have a couple of options left. However, completing a new degree is not one of them. Undertaking a Master's is an option for Otago but not so much for Auckland.

Also, please follow the current posting rules in the future: use descriptive thread titles and use the search function prior to posting questions.

You can undertake a new degree. It is definitely an option if wanting to apply for Auckland.

I believe the rule for post grad entry at Auckland (and Otago? memory is a little rusty) is they’ll use the GPA from your first under grad degree :)

Sure, you can have finished a degree then do first year Biomed/HealthSci and get in that way, but again post grad entry would count the GPA from ur first undergrad .

Sorry that this is quite a late reply to the discussion regarding grad entry using masters programme gpa (uoa), but i think it could be helpful for some people.

I have been in contact with uoa fmhs throughout the year with multiple confirmations to say that they will use my masters gpa to calculate my 2 year gpa for graduate entry into medicine.
When I applied last year (first attempt) uoa did not use my masters gpa as my thesis was still being marked (results back may this year) despite unoffically finishing the qualification in November 2017 - this was the only reason i couldnt use my masters gpa.

In saying this, I know the nature of masters qualifications can vary greatly, especially in terms of course structure (i.e. thesis vs non thesis and time to complete) thus it may come down to individual circumstances whether or not uoa will use them in gpa calculations. It's probably best to contact them directly.
Hi Haq94,

Welcome to MSO.

Is the diploma from Otago? It all depends on the qualification(s) whether Otago will consider them. Like I have mentioned above, I recommend asking the admissions directly. Auckland usually uses the grades from the last two years, but it is unlikely that they will use postgraduate qualification(s).

For AUS, are you thinking for undergraduate schools or graduate schools?

Last edited:
Sorry that this is quite a late reply to the discussion regarding grad entry using masters programme gpa (uoa), but i think it could be helpful for some people.

I have been in contact with uoa fmhs throughout the year with multiple confirmations to say that they will use my masters gpa to calculate my 2 year gpa for graduate entry into medicine.
When I applied last year (first attempt) uoa did nothe use my masters gpa as my thesis was still being marked (results back may this year) despite unoffically finishing the qualification in November 2017.

Hi better_late_than_never,

I am not too sure what I was talking about then (the post was made a while ago), but I do agree with you now. They would consider it. A friend of mine had the exact same problem as you, the thesis did not get marked in time.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Back