Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Best Backup plan to do

Bob Kat

Considering Optom at QUT and then swap over with a high enough GPA. However, what course would you suggest?

Shinae

I did first year of optometry at QUT last year. I would say getting a GPA of 7 in the first year is quite achievable as we only do foundation units. If you are interested in the course and would not mind becoming an optometrist if you cannot get into dent, then I would say go for it! You just need to be organised and work for it to get a 7. Ask me if you want to know more about the subjects we do in the first year.

Bob Kat

I did first year of optometry at QUT last year. I would say getting a GPA of 7 in the first year is quite achievable as we only do foundation units. If you are interested in the course and would not mind becoming an optometrist if you cannot get into dent, then I would say go for it! You just need to be organised and work for it to get a 7. Ask me if you want to know more about the subjects we do in the first year.

Hey, in school I did all 3 sciences. I was wondering what kind of difficulty the courses were in first year.

Shinae

I am sure you will find chem, physics and maths/stats very easy - you will learn basic chem and physics you learnt in high school. I think you will have a good foundation for cell & molecular bio, physiology and anatomy. I only did biology in year 11 so I found bio and physiology a bit challenging. There is a unit called Australian Health Care Systems and I think many people found it hard - you just need to do all the readings and do the assignments the way your tutor wants you to do, I found the tutorials very helpful for the assignments. The other unit you will do is Communication for Health Professionals- this one let me down because of my lack of interpersonal skills but if you hand in a solid video and essay and if your group doesn't let you down too much then a HD is quite achievable. I found that good organisation goes a long way in uni.

Bob Kat

I am sure you will find chem, physics and maths/stats very easy - you will learn basic chem and physics you learnt in high school. I think you will have a good foundation for cell & molecular bio, physiology and anatomy. I only did biology in year 11 so I found bio and physiology a bit challenging. There is a unit called Australian Health Care Systems and I think many people found it hard - you just need to do all the readings and do the assignments the way your tutor wants you to do, I found the tutorials very helpful for the assignments. The other unit you will do is Communication for Health Professionals- this one let me down because of my lack of interpersonal skills but if you hand in a solid video and essay and if your group doesn't let you down too much then a HD is quite achievable. I found that good organisation goes a long way in uni.

Do you have past exam papers available so I can see the depth of the sciences required? Didn't pay the most attention in class sometimes :p

Shinae

I don't think QUT posts past papers unfortunately. The courses start from the very basic and I don't think they go into that much detail. The lecturers do not require previous science knowledge. If you have the OP needed for optom, I don't think you need to worry :)

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads