CSU Dentistry 2019 offers/acceptances

Discussion in 'Charles Sturt University' started by bch.Sarah, Aug 5, 2018.

1. CS169

CS169 Member

I will most likely end up writing the DAT if I am not accepted this year. I was informed that JCU sends out early offers but only to those who they consider highly qualified candidates so I was not really sure who would fall into that category. I have sent my application and am hoping for the best but do have Adelaide as a backup option. From all the dental schools they have the most spots available for international students (~40).

2. bch.Sarah

bch.Sarah Member

Applications for residence open next week; I am planning the same. If you applied through OzTrekk I hope to meet you at the fall meet up if they're still planning to have them!

3. Junec

Junec Member

Looking forward to meet you too. I'm in BC. I believe Oztrekk will still do the pre-departure meetup.

Where did you see about residency application opening next week? Good that I know now cuz I was assuming it wont be open until fall.

4. Junec

Junec Member

All the best. I did not apply to Adelaide as they require interview in Toronto and the PQA test. It looks like they have similar number of spots like Sydney and UWA.

Adelaide is a solid school. I know this one UBC dentistry prof is from there.

5. bch.Sarah

bch.Sarah Member

Logon to CSU student portal, go to Uni Life tab, scroll down to accommodation, select 'Find on campus accommodation', and on the next page has all the info.
    I just looked again they pushed it back another week from August 4th to the 20th when the accommodation applications open.
    Hope that helps

I'm from Eastern Ontario so I guess we will meet in school instead! Best wishes

6. Junec

Junec Member

Thanks. I found it in student portal. They should’ve at least sent us an email as a heads up. I didn’t know about it until seeing your post.

7. Tomato

Tomato Member

Have heard so many Canadian students study dentistry in Australia. Just feel curious if the cost you study dentistry as a domestic student in Canada similar to the cost here as an international student? The reason you guys think it is easier to get into dentistry here may be because the requirements for international students are a bit lower than the domestic students.

8. CS169

CS169 Member

It depends on the province we live in. For example in BC the dental.school costs around 60000 per year and the one in Alberta is about 40000 per year. Since the programs are four years we won't be paying as much in Canada as we do in Australia. I think the main reason why people apply to Australia is because you can apply straight out of high school and save yourself some time. We have to complete our bachelors degree first and keep a high GPA. I know a lot of people that have 3.80 GPAs and had to apply three times or more just to get accepted in Canada. When we apply to australia 3.50 and higher GPAs usually translate to a 7 on their scales and most of the schools I have contacted said 75+ was competitive. If we apply with anything less than a 3.80 in Canada we will most likely not get accepted. Its mainly a choice of completing dental school by the time we are 22 or starting dental school by the time we are 22 if applying in Canada. If it takes three years to get in (worst case) you would be 25/26 and by the time you graduate you will be 30 before you start working as a dentist so I think its better getting the head start

Tomato likes this.
  9. jiaxing

jiaxing Regular Member

Congrats on your offer!
    I am a domestic student, but I am interested in Dentistry at CSU. What was your GPA? Also, do international students have to sit the ISAT or equivalent?

10. bch.Sarah

bch.Sarah Member

The GPA I graduated with was 6.83 on a 10 scale (uOttawa has a weird scale) it converts to about a 3.2ish GPA or about a 73 average. I will say my GPA is very skewed... I did extremely poor in my first and a half year of undergrad which makes it lower but my last two and half years I held a solid 85% in almost all my classes.

I do not know what the ISAT is and did not write it. I wrote the DAT twice and got an academic average of 19 both times if that helps at all.

jiaxing likes this.
  11. bch.Sarah

bch.Sarah Member

The cost of studying internationally in Australia instead of domestically in Canada is significantly higher even if you just consider tuition (Up to $300,000 more). Consider travel and living expenses and books and all that fun stuff I think you could expect to spend a extra $20000 to $30000 a year being in Australia on top of that. Very daunting.

Almost all the people I know who applied to dental school in Australia did so because of the higher chances of getting in... Canadian school are too competitive for students who are good student but couldn't rock a perfect GPA.

Tomato likes this.
  12. Yulia

Yulia New Member

Hello! I've also accepted my offer at CSU for 2019 and I'm also from Canada.

bch.Sarah likes this.
  13. Tomato

Tomato Member

That makes sense. CSU has the cheapest tuition fees and the living expenses in Orange should be much cheaper than that in the big cities.

14. bch.Sarah

bch.Sarah Member

Congrats did you apply with Oztrekk? I am from Eastern Ontario and am planning to attend their meet up session when they announce it. If you're on this side of Canada and are able to make it I'll be happy to see you there. If not see you in Feburary! I'm hoping that being connected with some people early will be beneficial.