Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

General Interview Discussion and Questions - 2021 Entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
out of curiosity, any tips on how to make sure you dont run out of time lol
The interviewers should do their best to keep you on track, but just be wary of repeating/rephrasing the same point you’ve already made as that won’t get you any points and will just chew up the time you have at each station.

umm

For a Jehovah's Witness question, if the patient is a child, their family is not there, and you have determined that the child does not understand the consequences of refusing treatment and therefore is not capable of decision-making:
If the child falls unconscious and needs a blood transfusion to save their life, are you supposed to give the blood transfusion or not?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
For a Jehovah's Witness question, if the patient is a child, their family is not there, and you have determined that the child does not understand the consequences of refusing treatment and therefore is not capable of decision-making:
If the child falls unconscious and needs a blood transfusion to save their life, are you supposed to give the blood transfusion or not?
Each state has their own laws surrounding the delivery of care to minors but generally speaking the treating team just needs to do whatever is in the child’s best interests. This situation is clear cut as it’s an emergency, the child lacks capacity and the parents aren’t around to argue with the treating team (not to mention on the information here alone, you couldn’t assume the family would refuse the transfusion). Even if the family was present and refused, the treating team can apply to the courts to overrule the parent/guardian decision because it’s a minor and it can be argued the parent choice isn’t in the child’s best interests (at least this is the case in QLD and applies in other states as far as I know).

Aside from this, you are never expected to have medico-legal knowledge in an undergraduate entry interview and questions like this are in place to see your thought process and reasoning skills rather than test your knowledge of the law. Don’t get hung up on the details here at this stage.

saba5678

Hi, with MMI's do they show you all the questions that will be attached to the scenario when you are given it? Or are you only given the scenario and then they ask you each question as the interview progresses?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi, with MMI's do they show you all the questions that will be attached to the scenario when you are given it? Or are you only given the scenario and then they ask you each question as the interview progresses?
Usually you won't know the questions until you've entered the room, only the background scenario which you will get during reading time. Different unis may have different approaches though and sometimes it depends on the nature of the station.

Hello, I would really appreciate it if someone who is knowledgeable could answer the following questions I have.
(Alternatively, I wouldn't mind if you told me where to look, since I have been looking for the answers in other threads to no great success).

1. For online MMIs (i.e. Curtin, UWA, Monash, UNSW) are the stations still 8 min long with 2 min reading time?

2. What type of focus does each school have in the MMI (e.g. I think I read somewhere that Curtin has more of an ethical focus)?
  • Monash:
  • UWA:
  • UNSW:

panda_6940

USyd BSc/MD II
Hello, I would really appreciate it if someone who is knowledgeable could answer the following questions I have.
(Alternatively, I wouldn't mind if you told me where to look, since I have been looking for the answers in other threads to no great success).

1. For online MMIs (i.e. Curtin, UWA, Monash, UNSW) are the stations still 8 min long with 2 min reading time?

2. What type of focus does each school have in the MMI (e.g. I think I read somewhere that Curtin has more of an ethical focus)?
  • Monash:
  • UWA:
  • UNSW:

I think the time varies with each uni, so you'll have to check the email they send you or ask the uni themselves. I don't think anyone can tell you the types of questions in the interview since we have to sign NDAs. Also, UNSW doesn't have a MMI, but rather a panel interview.

S

Sokka

Hi, could someone send the link again? Don’t think this works anymore

EAGLE_BIT

Hey everyone - just wanted to let you know that there are a lot of MMI questions at this link.
They have pretty awesome vce notes too

DonTheDoc

Hey everyone. I've been hearing a lot of different things about UNSW's ATAR cut-off. Does anybody have any definitive answers? Much appreciated

A1

Rookie Doc
Hey everyone. I've been hearing a lot of different things about UNSW's ATAR cut-off.
You hear different things because people use the word cut-off differently or incorrectly. Strictly speaking a cut-off value only makes sense when it's the sole/main deciding factor, for example UCAT score for JMP interview selection - last year it was 2980 meaning 2980+ you get an invite, sub-2980 you don't.

Otoh ATAR is not the sole deciding factor for UNSW. It's in combination with UCAT and interview score. A 99.2/98%ile can get an interview while a 99.4/88%ile might not, thus neither 99.2 nor 99.4 is truly a cut-off. Similarly for place offers.

So to answer your question, you need mid to high 99s to be competitive for UNSW. The lowest ATAR (not counting bonus) that got an offer last year was 99.6, but that didn't mean all sub-99.6s had zero chance at the outset. A 99.4 can potentially get an offer if they score a higher UCAT + a higher interview, it so happened last year that none did.

Status
Not open for further replies.